How do you mail out when trading coins?

Nochipra

The key to keeping costs down is to recycle the bubble mailers you get. Do not use packing tape on the coin sleeves... it never comes off. Wrap the coin in paper or thin cardboard to keep from sliding around too much or shooting out the mailer. I use cereal box cardboard and cut it so it's about the width of the mailer.

Congrats on your first trade.... that's exciting.

Edited by Droo

The key to keeping costs down is to recycle the bubble mailers you get. Do not use packing tape on the coin sleeves... it never comes off. Wrap the coin in paper or thin cardboard to keep from sliding around too much or shooting out the mailer. I use cereal box cardboard and cut it so it's about the width of the mailer.

Congrats on your first trade.... that's exciting.

I agree with Droo. Most of the coins that I have received have been packed the same way. (knocking on wood) so far, I have not had any issues.

First I put the coin in a regular letter size envelope with the name and address of who I'm sending it to on the outside.

Then I fold it in half and tape it together.

Next into a bubble mailer and I tape it down to keep it from sliding around too much.

After sealing the bubble envelope I also tape the flap.

The name and address on the inside makes me think that if somethinf happened to the mailer my coin would still get to its destination.

All the coins I've shipped so far have gotten through unscathed so I don't know if the extra address would work or not. :laughing:

I went in a while ago and bought 500 of the small padded mailers. So after selling bunches of them to local area coin traders (at cost, of course), I have been using the rest for sending out coins. I use the recycled mailers from other trades by cutting them in half and putting the coin(s) inside that half mailer, taping it up, stick one of my own return-address labels onto that (just in case the outer envelope gets opened in transit some how), and then put that whole thing inside a new, padded mailer. This seems to protect the coins quite well, but is probably over protective for a regular geocoin. On the other hand, I've been throwing in my personal geo-pin with trades recently as well, so the double mailer thing really goes a long way to protecting the pin from getting damaged.

The name and address on the inside makes me think that if somethinf happened to the mailer my coin would still get to its destination.

All the coins I've shipped so far have gotten through unscathed so I don't know if the extra address would work or not. :laughing:

From personal experience, the mailers don't always stay sealed. Of course, both times that I've had items go missing in transit it was because the outside mailer in use was one of those US priority mail cardboard envelopes (meant only to hold papers) and the glue on the flap was beyond it's expiration date. And, of course again, the inner envelopes didn't have anybody's name/address on them..... so keep up what you're doing! It will pay off some day!

I just use my own return address labels for the inner envelope. Quicker to apply and it still ensures that the coins won't go totally, untrackably missing.

I also tape the wrapped coin to the inside of the mailer so that if the mailer gets ripped, it won't fall out. I usually tape all of the edges of the mailer too. :laughing:

Thanks for the info everyone it really helps a newbie trader like me:) The coin is in the mail awaiting the mailman 3doxies. I really look forward to the trade:)

Nora and Chip aka Nochipra

I'm getting ready to do my first trade with someone and I was just wondering how everyone mails their trades? Do I get a tracking # or just send it regular mail in a bubble envelope? I've seen a lot of trades on this forum but I was thinking it could get quite expensive doing a lot of trades?

I use the packing methods that people had noted above with the coins inside weith my return address label. But you also asked about the tracking #. Someone here told me how to use the paypal multi order postage thing and I have been doing that ever since. It gets the tracking # for an extra $0.18 and seems worth it to me. I have a postal scales here so I don't have to run to the post office--just weight it and then print out the label through paypal and stick it in the mailbox. I know that my package is received and in some trades that can be very useful info. :laughing: