Rechargable Batteries - shelf life you are seeing

Dryphter

Hi all,

I use Energizer rechargables - the kind you see in the silver/green packages at Wally World, etc. 2500mAh version. I charge them up 4 at a time (I have like 12 of them).

The problem is that they are dead again within a week or so after just sitting on my desk. Is that normal? Seems the only time they are any good is right off the charger.

What's the shelf life of your rechargeable batteries while waiting their turn in your GPSr?

I think I read somewhere that the NimH batteries lose something like 10% of the charge every 3 days after charging while just sitting around. Depending on the temperature they are stored at - that can change rather dramatically between 3 and 10 days for a 10% loss.

So if yours are "dead" at the end of just 1 week - seems like they either didn't get a full charge or are going bad on you.

edit to add temperature info

Edited by StarBrand

Hi all,

I use Energizer rechargables - the kind you see in the silver/green packages at Wally World, etc. 2500mAh version. I charge them up 4 at a time (I have like 12 of them).

The problem is that they are dead again within a week or so after just sitting on my desk. Is that normal? Seems the only time they are any good is right off the charger.

What's the shelf life of your rechargeable batteries while waiting their turn in your GPSr?

I'm beginning to think they had a bad run of the 2500mah Energizer batteries. Myself and a friend each bought 8 of the 2500s and we are having the same luck you are having with them, and a friend in Yuma bought 8 of them and according to him he is having great luck with them.

I bought 16 of the Sanyo eneloops and from what I see so far those are the ones I'll stay with. I haven't had them long enough to test their claim of only losing 15% of their charge after sitting for a year, but I do think that for only being a 2000mah battery, they last longer in a device then other batteries I have with a higher mah rating.

Kodak also has a battery out that is supposed to be similar to the Sanyos except they are rated 2100mah and only claim a 15% loss in 6 months. We are testing a pair of these in a camera right now.

Edited by DWBur

Sounds like I need to invest in something other than the Energizers. I assume the charger I have will work for any rechargeable batteries. I have started to put mine through several charge cycles just to see if I can get them to last longer. So far with the first set I tried (3 charge cycles) they showed full, but after a little over a week they show 2 bars left in the GPS. Still beats buying new ones all the time I guess. Grab the 4 out of the charger and I know I'll have enough juice for the day. But it would be nice if the charge lasted even a couple of weeks.

I've been using the Ray-O-Vac Hybrids. They have some pretty good propaganda out about them not loosing a charge during their shelf life. Can't remember if they are 2100 or 2500 MAH. But I have learned to love them over my duracell rechargables. They seem to do what they have advertised, which is real nice when you reach into your rechargable bag and not find a handful of low batteries.

I think they are $7-8 for a pack of four AA's @ WWorld. Not a lot more $$'s if you by a charger that comes w/2AA's and 2AAA's.

Good performance too, about 2-3 x's over alkies.

Dr. P

From the Wiki article on niMH:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NiMH

Self-discharge

NiMH has had a somewhat higher self-discharge rate than NiCd in the past. However, this is no longer the case. The self-discharge is 5-10% on the first day[3], and stabilizes around 0.5-1% per day at room temperature. This is not a problem in the short term, but makes them unsuitable for many light-duty uses, such as clocks, remote controls or safety devices, where the battery would normally be expected to last many months or years. The rate is strongly affected by the temperature at which the batteries are stored with cooler storage temperatures leading to slower discharge rate and longer battery life. The highest capacity cells on the market (> 2700mAh) are reported to have the highest discharge rates.

[edit] Low Self Discharge Batteries

A new type of nickel-metal hydride battery was introduced in 2006 that claims to reduce self-discharge, and therefore lengthen shelf life. By using a new separator, manufacturers claim between 70 to 85% of capacity is retained after one year, when stored at 20 degrees Celsius (68F). These cells are marketed as "ready-to-use" rechargeables, and are targeted towards typical consumers who use their digital cameras only a few times a year. Besides the longer shelf life, they are otherwise similar to normal NiMH batteries of equivalent capacity, and can be charged in typical NiMH chargers. Some brands that are currently available on the market (Sep 2007) are Accupower Acculoop, Ansmann MaxE range, Duracell Pre-charged, Gold Peak ReCyko, Kodak Pre Charged, Nexcell EnergyOn, Panasonic R2, Rayovac Hybrid, Sanyo Eneloop, Sony CycleEnergy, Titanium Power Enduro, Uniross Hybrio, Vapextech Instant and VARTA Ready2use. These appear to be available in AA and AAA sizes only, and have less capacity (2000~2100mAh in AA) than the current generation of high-capacity cells (2800mAh, AA). As there are only two or three manufacturers of these new type of cells (Sanyo, Panasonic, Yuasa-Delta) most of these brands are rebranded OEMs.

It seems like hit and miss with the Energizer rechargeables - I have a few AAA's that have been in a few TV & DVD remotes for a few years and still work...on the other hand, I've a handful of their AA's that discharge too quickly for my taste.

I second the notion of Ray-O-Vac's Hybrids from Wally's - so far they seem to hold longer, as suggested, and are a bit cheaper.

On a side note, if one is using NiMh rechargeables, be sure the charger is compatible for that type of battery (if it came with them, then you're good).

Edited by JeepinCalifornia

Hi all,

You want to look for Enloop rechargeables made by Sanyo. They will hold 85% of their charge after a year. I learned about them here on the forums and bought 4 with a charger for $20 at Walmart. They work great and don't lose their charge.

Hi all,

I started using the Energizer 15-minute rechargeable batteries two years ago and was a real fan of them. I loved being able to get fresh batteries in just 15 minutes.

However, I now have the same problem. When I go to use batteries that have been in my pack for a few days, they are dead, or die within a few minutes.

I have about 16 of them . . . :laughing:

I now have 10 of the Rayovac Hybrids I'll be using . . .

Want some more energizers, I finally retired mine after a year and a half. Rapid self discharge now. I have a 1/2 hour charger, the batteries come out almost to hot to handle. Pretty sure this accelerated their demise. Rayovac Hybrids work great along with a nice slow charger (200mA), no more hot batteries and they seem to maintain a good voltage when they're stored in my caching pack. I use them in my DSLR and it doesn't like partially discharged batteries so ot with the old style and in with the new. PS, I tried running the old ones through the new charger several times, did not seem to show any improvement.

Gots me AA 2900's from Thomas Distributing, the best there is. :lol: Last a long time. Talked to their tech one day a while back and they can loose up to approximately 1%/day while sitting on the shelf. I haven't tried to measure them because they are getting the job done in a big way, but my best guess is that that is about right.

Doesn't really matter all that much since I charge more of them at one time than I will possibly need. When going on the road for days or weeks, like my trip to Italy in June, I of course take the charger along. Will be doing the same on my upcoming trip to Oregon next month. Almost two years now....Sweet. :rolleyes::lol:<_<

Edited by Team Cotati

Not sure I could answer that question with realibility - recharables fool the power indicator into looking like there is more power - then it drops off pretty quick - without a sofisticated test on fancy equipment - I doubt you get very good results trying to figure this out. I have heard it's can be about 6% per day so I don't push it without backup batteries going with me. I keep and handy supply for both GPS and Camera. Thank you SAMS CLUB!

Hi all,

I have the same batteries and have the same problem. Don't even think about leaving them in your car for a few days in 90 degree weather.

I am also a convert to Rayovac Hybrids. They work great in cameras, and have a better voltage curve compared to regular NiMH AAs. They charge and hold it much better compared to the regular, older technology batteries. They also do not seem to need to cycle through several recharge/discharges to reach a high power capacity. You can see this with a Powerex MH-C9000 charger which shows capacity in a digital display.

The Hybrids:

Rayovac Hybrid

Sanyo Eneloop

Sony Cycle Energy

Ultralast Hybrio

I like this new technology in batteries.

Edited by EScout

I'm a big fan of rechargeables and have been using them for years. Started with the Energizer 1800s, then 2100s, then got 4 of the 2500s. To be honest, i never could tell much difference as far as runtime in my camera or gpsr. However, they all have done pretty good at holding a charge while sitting idle. A month will show less of a charge but the batteries can still be used.

My wife ended up buying me a 4 pack of Rayovac nimhs for Christmas 2005 and i almost took them back to exchange for the Energizers I decided to give them a try anyway and long story short, i pretty much exclusively use the Rayovacs these days. They just seem to work better for me.

One note, and i'm certainly no expert. I am a firm believer that fast chargers (1 hour and 15 minute models) are not good to use with most of these batteries. I think that there are some batteries made that can be used with them but my thinking is that regular nimhs that we get at Walmart aren't. The Energizer charger that i have takes a few hours per charge but so far i've never had to throw a battery out because it went bad. :(

I have used both the energiser and duracell batteries. They both give me the same results...

When sitting on the shelf the lose thier charge rapidly. but if the are in something like my GPSr or my led lights, etc. they last a long time. I don't understand why they act this way. I have not used them in any clocks tho.

I have also used the rechargable alkalines but get the opposite reaction. They do no last long in anything except a clock (and sometimes not even then) but they hold thier charge really well on the shelf.

Just bought a set of the Sanyo "eneloop" batteries at Costco (~$26 for AAA cells, AA cells, plus some C & D cell converters and a charger with case).

I noticed my Energizer 2500's were starting to lose their charge faster. Then again, I've had them for at least two years and have gotten some good life out of them.

The "eneloop" cells are great. So far no problems and supposedly they can hold up to 85% of their charge for a year. Definitely a good purchase.

One word...Powerex! These batteries are great and last a surprising long time in my Garmin 60csx and Canon S3is digital camera. I too used to use Energizers. Can't believe how fast those drained compared to Powerex batteries. You can get them from Newegg and/or Thomas Distributing. I also used the Maha 204 charger with them. I'm slowly trashing all my Energizer batts and replacing them with the Powerex's.

Edited by Nimnifnof

I am also a convert to Rayovac Hybrids. They work great in cameras, and have a better voltage curve compared to regular NiMH AAs. They charge and hold it much better compared to the regular, older technology batteries. They also do not seem to need to cycle through several recharge/discharges to reach a high power capacity. You can see this with a Powerex MH-C9000 charger which shows capacity in a digital display.

The Hybrids:

Rayovac Hybrid

Sanyo Eneloop

Sony Cycle Energy

Ultralast Hybrio

Kodak also makes a hybrid but they don't call it a hybrid on the package. All it says on the package is "Digital camera battery, lasts up to four times longer then other rechargeables." According to an article I ran across on the net they are considered a hybrid.

As I said in a previous post we are trying them out in my wife's digital camera which sometimes lays around for a couple of months and when she would go to use it, it would shut down on low battery. The Kodaks have been in the camera for over a month and when she took a couple of pictures yesterday they were still ok.

I'm no battery expert, but I did visit Battery University a while back. :huh: The main thing that some people don't appreciate is that different battery types have different attributes. To say "my 2500mAh..." doesn't mean a lot. You need to determine the battery type.

For example, NiMH are powerful batteries with a short shelf life between charges. So they're great for GPSr's, but you wouldn't want to us them in a remote control.

They're probably not the best as standby GPSr batteries either, unless you have a strick top-up regime.

The Hybrids:

Rayovac Hybrid

Sanyo Eneloop

Sony Cycle Energy

Ultralast Hybrio

I have used rechargeable batteries for years and never been completely satisfied with them. I was pretty happy with my energizer's 2500's but after a year a couple sets wouldn't have any charge left after sitting a month(yes I know rechargable batteries loose 1% a day on the shelf).

Anyway I got a few sets of Rayovac Hybrids 6months ago and can't believe their awesome shelf life. They have been sold out of the 4packs of AA's at the local walmart for the last month, hopefully sometime soon I can buy a few more packs.

all I can say is you will feel you knew nothing about rechargeables after you get one of these http://www.amazon.com/Maha-Powerex-MH-C900...r/dp/B000NLUSLM

Bring all your batteries back to full capacity, I think the unit paid for itself in the first month by enabling me to see which batteries were really toast, and which needed refreshing.

You will instantly be a battery expert.

PS: Maha batteries are excellent as well...

Edited by svladcjelli

Another interesting thing about my Energizers is that I have two different 'kinds' - those that have a gray colored ring around the + terminal, and those with a black ring around the + terminal. Black seems to be better.

I don't know if it means anything or not, but my 2500Mah Energizers have a green ring around the + terminal