Obscene trades

joefrog

I've had more than a few requests for my coin over the years. Some were very nice trade offers, some were almost boiled-down threats.

I've also had some trade offers that were so obscenely greedy they made me say "ugh" and will likely earn that person a firm spot on my "Do Not Trade" list. "I have one of these -- I'll trade it for an Indy Diver, Moun10Bike, and a (insert valuable coin here).

Anyone else got an offer like that?

Yep...

I offered a trade on an AE Geocoin - I offered one of my own AE's for another AE.

I got a reply asking for TWO of my AE's AND a regular coin for ONE of this persons Artist Editions. No dice.

Im sorry, but I dont feel that any AE coin is worthy of a multiple coin trade. Ive traded AE's for regular coins, LE coins, HTF coins, etc.. it just depends on the coin, and the person Im trading with.

I would never ask for a 2 for one trade - and recently I was offered a 2 for one on a coin (Was actually SENT 2 for 1!) I didn't feel right and included another coin when I sent the package off.

I just think its nervy to assume your coin has more 'worth' than a coin of someone elses. I understand LE trades, and rare trades, but I just don't get the two for one thing.

Had to add.. most people I have traded AE's with have been wonderful!! So - its NOT the norm!

Edited by CinemaBoxers

I've certainly given out much more than I've gained, but I will admit to being on the "obscene" end a few times out of sheer necessity. Sometimes you'll get offered something that the trader just perceives to be of significantly greater value. A common example is someone offering LE's, XLE's, or something even more "E". :lol: Uhm...hello...if there's five or six versions of these "XLAXE"* coins, then it's not really very limited is it? :laughing: That's when I politely decline or just keep my request as is.

BTW: I cherish my JoeFrog coin so much that it would take at least three Moun10Bike v.1 XLAXE's for me to trade it away. Okay, maybe two. :D

*XLAXE = eXtremely Limited Artist eXtortion Edition :D

Edited by YemonYime

I've had a few experiences like that with my geocoins. There has been one geocacher who could not get a coin from me and decided to use someone else to do a trade with me in order to get one of my coins. The same cacher did this with a few of the coins I made. Pretty desparate I say to try and get every coin out there.

This is why I no longer trade.

Not putting geocoins down, they are fun for those of us who still collect.

I've had more than a few requests for my coin over the years. Some were very nice trade offers, some were almost boiled-down threats.

A Yemon Yime is at the top of my want list, but I dont have enough coins to trade for it. :laughing:

AO, I'd gladly have traded you one for one if I had any to spare. Especially since I could add that cool avatar/icon to my owned coin list. Wonder who designed that? :lol:

In fact, I only ever traded my Yimes one for one for personals.

Edited by YemonYime

A Yemon Yime is at the top of my want list, but I dont have enough coins to trade for it. :laughing:

AO, I'd gladly have traded you one for one if I had any to spare. Especially since I could add that cool avatar/icon to my owned coin list. Wonder who designed that? :D

In fact, I only ever traded my Yimes one for one for personals.

If it's any consolation, they are still for sale and Coins and Pins. The Celtic one is sold out though. :lol:

LOL! Yime, based on a pic I saw, you may end up marrying Avroair because of a coin! Or at least, in the Biblical sense...

Let me clarify a bit... one trade I saw from a friend of mine that started this question wasn't for a personal coin, it was for one of the mystery coins. It pretty much said "how desperate are you to have one?" To me, that kinda takes the fun out of finding it yourself.

Trade-wise, I suppose if everyone is satisfied with what changes hands it's fair. But, expecting a bunch of coins for a "gift" coin just seems a bit more greedy than I'm used to.

I've seen a few like that, but they are in the minority.

I've initiated a few trade requests only to have the person respond by saying that they would only be willing to trade XX coin for 3 or more LEs (as an example). Unless it was a super hard to find coin (Moun10Bike, Fisur, etc.) I'd never consider it.

An LE for an LE, sure. But again, those have been few and far between and maybe just the person's way of letting me/you say no to the trade instead of having to do it themselves.

LOL! Yime, based on a pic I saw, you may end up marrying Avroair because of a coin! Or at least, in the Biblical sense...

That was the only GC friendly pics! You should have seen it in person. It was a sad day for Brits everywhere.

Um.. no thanks! There are some things you just can't UN-see! <_<<_<

We are still fairly new to the trading thing. Most of the trades we have made are for outside the U.S. and have been positive experiences.

I don't have an extensive list to trade from and I am therefore hesitant on some trades. My butterflies, for instance, I will not be trading them BOTH for one of any coin, no matter how rare it is. I love my butterflies, and yes I am having a hard time parting with them. I can't even imagine trading them coin for coin at this point. Yes, I will be trading them at some point, hence they are on the trading list. They have a significant value to ME. I don't care that they don't have a string of capital letters in front of them.

I received an offer recently that I was simply not sure how to respond to. I was offered a personal coin for a LE coin. I do not know the person ofering the trade. I have never seen or even heard of their coin. A second trade was aso offered. The coin club range finder for a PDA. The e-mailed was prefaced with " I saw your list" and granted the range finder is on my list but I just didn't feel this was a fair trade.

Maybe it is just my perspective that is skewed. I attach more value to some coins than others, namely the ones I really really like.

Not a big trader here but most trades have been a positive experience. I've never had any outrageous requests nor have I requested any, lol. Then again, I'm not out searching for the hard to get stuff or special versions of a coin. I used to give people pretty much any trade they wanted (took a coin I didn't necessarily want, so they could have one they did). Then I had a popular design come out and things took a different turn and while most offers that came in asking to be considered for a trade were pleasant, there were some down right pushy/ugly emails. This was something I was not used to and that experience completely changed how I now go about handling trade requests and how I handle a version of a coin I put out. There are a couple of people now that I would not trade with unfortunately. Personally, I would never trade or request a trade that required an obscene amount of coins but that is just me. I hear some of my buddies talking about the trades they make and I'm like, 'holy cow, you're kidding!" I guess some of you are really addicted :o

I had someone request my coins below for a coin of theirs that I enquired about (and it wasn't a Moun10Bike either!) along with one of their own personal coins (which I didn't ask for):

Geochums

PA Racers

Broken W Bronze

Broken W Nickel

Crop Circle v2

Dortmund

Fryslan Gold

Fryslan Nickel

GHP Leaderboard

Grimlock Silver

Jangor polished nickel

KC8HNZ

KingfisherTeam 2006 Antique Gold

Team Fish Eagle 2006 Silver

I've never had anyone get ugly about trade requests - but I have had some people offer crappy coins for really good ones. (Here, let me trade you this still availlable common coin for that sold out LE!)

I just nicely say no, and forget about it.

But, I do always ask that people remember that they were going to trade and WHAT. Ive had emails asking for trades, or emailed asking about a trade, and when the time comes they never send the coin, or never mention the trade again!?! If the coin isnt available, email me so I can look for one elsewhere if I really want one. If you don't want to trade, same thing - let me know.

Now, please understand I dont mean scenarios where it simply slips the mind - I think we have ALL discussed trades and either didnt complete them, or didnt 'committ'! LOL I mean where a trade was promised, and then disregarded.

I usually send one or two follow up emails, and wait for a response. No response - I just assume its a no-go. (But an email would have been nice!)

And, I'll maintain again - if you don't ever hear back from me, assume I didnt get the email!

~P

I'll trade one of my untrackable coins for 3 of your Joe Frog coins.....this is a really great deal....don't even think about not sending them.... or my cousin Vinnywho is in a Mafia Bike gang in your town & is outside your door right now will change your mind!!!!

:o lol

Sometimes when people start out they don't have any idea about what things are worth or what a HTF coin is ,I think we were all in that boat in the start. I look at the request & try to see if it is a new collector & if so I may be lenient but let the person know that is not the normal type of trade.

Most people in our community are great & usually even add extras & then there are all the peolpe who do the great mystery coins so overall it is a great place! My $.02

PS I Love My Yime too!

& I would trade multiple coins for something I really wanted like a Joe Frog or a v1 Moun10Bike

Edited by whitebear

This is a subject that could go forever. But bottom line is there will always be people who over value things, or under value others. most people we have delt with are fair and very friendly. Only a few times have I seen someone try to take advantage of someone new or too young to really get it. But again most have been very wonderful to talk to, meet, and trade with. Hope to do more of all three in the days that follow.

Quite right, T'n'T ... and then there are others around who really help the newbies!

I remember quite well the day when I intended to do my first coin trade with a spare one that I received as a gift some months ago. I was quite keen on a personal, non-trackable coin that I've seen on an event and asked the owner whether he would trade this personal for my coin. After a deep sigh he gave his personal coin as a gift to me with the remark, that he couldn't accept my coin for his ... it was sold out long ago and quite rare in our region :ph34r:

At least that was way my personal learning curve how to make coin trades in our community!

Dirk

Edited by Team 'zZZz'

I'm not sure I know enough to be able to say what's obscene or not. When I offer a trade proposal, I try to offer that person something that is on their seeking list. If they don't reply, I might make one more attempt, offer something different, or move on to someone else. In any event, no coin is worth getting upset about, if a trade can't be worked out today, maybe it will happen later. I have never received an obscene trade proposal. If someone makes me an offer I don't want to accept, I politely decline and thank them for the offer. It's not that I don't value their coin, it just did not strike my fancy at that time. Sometimes I will change my mind and make the same or a similar trade later on down the line. In any event, I enjoy the chance to correspond with the other trader, and if we can make a trade, so much the better.

If someone makes me an offer I don't want to accept, I politely decline and thank them for the offer. It's not that I don't value their coin, it just did not strike my fancy at that time. Sometimes I will change my mind and make the same or a similar trade later on down the line. In any event, I enjoy the chance to correspond with the other trader, and if we can make a trade, so much the better.

Yeah, exactly. I probably got more upset about the whole thing than I should have at the time, but c'est la vie.

Oh Boy! I just e-mailed you a trade offer for one of your coins. I don't know if you'll consider it obscene (my coin is on your wish list, sorta), and I'm offering a coin that is considered pretty good, and even pretty appropriate for this time of year. Maybe very appropriate if I had waited 2 days. Anyway, it will be interesting to see what you think of this offer. Happy Halloween to you! :rolleyes:

I take a different approach to trades - I give mine away, and if the recipient wants to give me one of theirs, fine, but I rarely ask for one.

The unexpected result is that lots of folks give me coins, or trade with me when theirs is harder to get than mine!

Without really meaning to I ended up with quite a collection.

I have sold some from time to time; I have maybe 30 on eBay at the moment, but I only do that to raise money to host another event or help pay for one. Some of those now on eBay were donated to me specifically to sell to raise event money. I just held a pretty expensive event at the beach, another at a local state park, and have one this weekend where I will give away 8 stocked ammo cans as prizes (this event not listed, www.mossrockfestival.com). That's as close to doing business in geocoins as I want to get.

Knowing that I give them away rather than try to make a business of geocoins I am regularly given some quite rare coins by some well-known cachers.

I've given away several rare coins, three Moun10Bike, two or three Joefrog, GeocoinFairy, various Reviewer and Lackey coins and the like, usually as event prizes, and that 'karma' keeps coming back to me in the form of more great coins.

I have 2 Lackey coins now, for instance: one will be an event prize and one will go in a cache I am hiding.

When folks know that you won't try to profit from them they are much more likely to give or trade you one.

Try it, it works!

On the other hand, I usually leave my coin collection on a table unsupervised at events with a note telling folks to trade whatever they think is fair, and can't tell you how many times I get a wooden nickel traded for a nice LE or something along those lines. Hey, if that's all they have for a trade I'm cool with that... coins should move around, not sit forever in my collection, and not having something to trade shouldn't keep folks out of the game!

Still, most of those that I have on eBay were left in my bag as a trade, which includes some really great stuff!

I would guess that less than half of the folks take nicer than they leave, and then there are those who take little or nothing and leave really great coins, so it balances out.

When the Volunteer Reviewer coins first came out and there was an initial agreement not to sell them I was offered $1500 for one of mine. Now that was an obscene offer (too bad I couldn't take it... within weeks other Reviewer's were being sold and the value plummeted... Oh well) !

As to trading multiples for one, why not? Everything has a perceived value, even if it is not a cash sale - a trade is in fact a sale, you're just paying for it with a geocoin (or several) instead of cash. If a Moun10Bike (rare, valuable) is perceived to be worth $100 and my coin (rarer but much less valuable) is worth $20, why not trade 5 of mine for one of his? Makes sense to me! (Fortunately he has traded one-for-one with me for each of my three personal coin designs, so that's just an example!).

"What goes around comes around" is very true in the geocoin world!

I take a different approach to trades - I give mine away, and if the recipient wants to give me one of theirs, fine, but I rarely ask for one.

The unexpected result is that lots of folks give me coins, or trade with me when theirs is harder to get than mine!

Without really meaning to I ended up with quite a collection.

I have sold some from time to time; I have maybe 30 on eBay at the moment, but I only do that to raise money to host another event or help pay for one. Some of those now on eBay were donated to me specifically to sell to raise event money. I just held a pretty expensive event at the beach, another at a local state park, and have one this weekend where I will give away 8 stocked ammo cans as prizes (this event not listed, www.mossrockfestival.com). That's as close to doing business in geocoins as I want to get.

Knowing that I give them away rather than try to make a business of geocoins I am regularly given some quite rare coins by some well-known cachers.

I've given away several rare coins, three Moun10Bike, two or three Joefrog, GeocoinFairy, various Reviewer and Lackey coins and the like, usually as event prizes, and that 'karma' keeps coming back to me in the form of more great coins.

I have 2 Lackey coins now, for instance: one will be an event prize and one will go in a cache I am hiding.

When folks know that you won't try to profit from them they are much more likely to give or trade you one.

Try it, it works!

On the other hand, I usually leave my coin collection on a table unsupervised at events with a note telling folks to trade whatever they think is fair, and can't tell you how many times I get a wooden nickel traded for a nice LE or something along those lines. Hey, if that's all they have for a trade I'm cool with that... coins should move around, not sit forever in my collection, and not having something to trade shouldn't keep folks out of the game!

Still, most of those that I have on eBay were left in my bag as a trade, which includes some really great stuff!

I would guess that less than half of the folks take nicer than they leave, and then there are those who take little or nothing and leave really great coins, so it balances out.

When the Volunteer Reviewer coins first came out and there was an initial agreement not to sell them I was offered $1500 for one of mine. Now that was an obscene offer (too bad I couldn't take it... within weeks other Reviewer's were being sold and the value plummeted... Oh well) !

As to trading multiples for one, why not? Everything has a perceived value, even if it is not a cash sale - a trade is in fact a sale, you're just paying for it with a geocoin (or several) instead of cash. If a Moun10Bike (rare, valuable) is perceived to be worth $100 and my coin (rarer but much less valuable) is worth $20, why not trade 5 of mine for one of his? Makes sense to me! (Fortunately he has traded one-for-one with me for each of my three personal coin designs, so that's just an example!).

"What goes around comes around" is very true in the geocoin world!

Wow...and I'm to afraid to drop a coin in a cache for fear of it disappearing. Of course I'm in the beginnings of my addiction/collection but not sure I could ever have your resolve TheAlabamaRambler. However, you've given me a new height to try and climb too.

I know that there are at least 3 collectors that got a good laugh at my first offers a couple of months ago. I was checking out the lists to learn about coins and saw there were a few people that were actually looking for coins I had. So I sent an email and of course picked the nicest coin they had on their available trade list.

They were all very polite and helped me understand a bit more about what I was doing. I still don't know a lot but hopefully enough so I don't embarrass myself again.

Edited by Theotokos

Don't be embarrassed, make those trade offers! If people decline, that's ok, 'cause maybe the next guy will accept and you have made a new friend. You will also get an education as to what people want and consider valuable. I'm constantly amazed at what some people consider rare or hard to find, but maybe it is hard to find in their area.

As to being afraid to drop coins in a cache, well, it's not so hard if you expect them to disappear. At first I dropped laminated coin copies in caches. Most finders appreciate being able to get the icon, a very vocal minority hate the things. I decided not to put out any more, but most of the 40+ I did put out are still travelling. I have also released over a dozen actual coins to travel, but most have disappeared. I still drop coins in caches, but now they are unactivated and intended as a gift for the next finder. I have received a couple of e-mails from finders thanking me that were very touching and make this practice very worthwhile.

I have also been very fortunate to have been able to find and gift some of the mystery coins. A couple of Geocoin Fairy coins have passed through my hands, as well as a couple of the other mystery coins. Maybe the good karma will continue to build and I will be allowed to drop more of the mystery coins, I certainly hope so for that is a LOT of fun. If not, I will continue looking for fairly cheap sources of coins that I can drop to make someone else very happy.

Edited by amagrud