How long should they stay?

muffin

Leave them forever as long as they are not causing any issues. Travelers are always coming through and new local cachers come and go regularly. I see no real need to go and remove them after any set period or number of finds. I have 1 that has been out for getting close to 6 years now. It doesn't have much more than 100 finders.

I don't think there's any expiration date for caches, but there probably is a max number of caches that an owner can manage. If you're bumping up against that limit but still want to place new caches, I don't see a problem with retiring undistinguished older caches. I'm sure you have favorites among your current caches--the ones that always get enthusiastic logs, photos, bookmarks, etc. Keep those. Choose from the remainder, the ones that are getting run down, didn't turn out as you'd hoped, or are developing cacher trails. Shut one down and place a new-and-improved model. Rinse and repeat.

Again, there's no reason to kill off a good old cache, but replacing a mediocre cache with a shiny new one seems reasonable to me. Great caches should be preserved at all costs, but that's a different discussion.

You could archive all of them and then make new caches in a slightly new location thereby giving all of the cachers 40 new ones to find. Any new cachers and travelers could also find these new ones, but this process would be appreciated by all of those local cachers looking to find a few more caches close to home.

Not by all. :laughing: I don't agree with doing this, as I have outlined in a post in another recent thread on this subject. It seems that there were other posters who agreed with me.

40 caches may be a lot to maintain but if they aren't being muggled, why not let them ride?

I only have about 18 out there in my area and am going to try and keep MOST of them maintained as long as conditions permit.

Every now and then though, I think about archiving a couple just to replace them with a new style or method of hide though. I have three I'm looking at archiving right now just so I can place a puzzle series of 4 or more logable stages with a grand finale.

J..

This has been brought up before, and I will repeat my feelings. Caches should stay out there as long as possible.

It is nice when new caches are placed. However, a lot of us keep track of the caches we've found. Part of the fun of this game for me, is the connection with older cachers, and with the new cachers.

When reading the logs of new finders on a cache, it helps me to relive the experience in some small way. I would rather have the history and connection on older caches, then to have new numbers to find.

Of course it helps that I live in a cache rich area, and will never find all the caches within a reasonable driving distance. :laughing: I could see how someone in a very cache poor area may feel different.

I've always said that I only place caches that I feel are good (or I'm happy/proud of), and that I intend to keep for as long as possible.

I own 42 caches. 9 of them are archived (that includes an event that will be archived in a couple weeks).

Of those 9:

2 are events

2 are locationless

3 had to be archived, due to areas becoming off limits, the hiding spot disappearing, etc.

2 more recently, because I can't keep maintaining them because of my illness.

One of those last 2 was today, and it was very hard to do. Made me get tearful. It's For the Birds

If it's a good cache my reason for placing it doesn't go away so I leave it in place. I have some placements going back to 2001.

I'll archive ones that aren't up to the quality of my better caches after a while, as well as gimmick caches that wear thin after a while. Also if the cache becomes rather pointless I might archive it. For example if I was the first to place a cache in a certain park, but now there are a number of others there, I might archive mine unless there is something special about it

I have about 40 caches placed round here, many of them found more than one hundred times. Most of the local cachers have found most of them. What should be the replacement strategy? Leave them till muggled? Move them after 3 years? after 100 finds? What are others doing? :laughing:

Sounds to me like you're ready for 40 more!!!! :lol::D

Edited by CharlesIsland
Leave them forever as long as they are not causing any issues. Travelers are always coming through and new local cachers come and go regularly. I see no real need to go and remove them after any set period or number of finds. I have 1 that has been out for getting close to 6 years now. It doesn't have much more than 100 finders.
I agree 100%.