Is this really a FTF?

ArtieD

A good, honest and fun online log can only happen after it has been published.

A good, honest and fun FTF can happen after it has been hidden. When it is published is irrelevant to finding it.

Sure someone could stumble upon the cache and find it first before it was published. Things like this are beyond anyone's control. But to give your buddy(ies) a heads up and then letting only him (them) find it before the cache gets published, for the purpose of grabbing the FTF, is wrong.

You are right that it is a FTF, but it's not good and it's certainly not honest in the situation above. As far as the FTF fun goes, i just don't see how when you are the only one who knows about the cache and there's no one else even in the running? :D

I know this has been hashed a bit, but I'd like some fresh perspectives on this topic...

This cache was published yesterday evening and I saw no logs for it...great, I can go for FTF on this one. However, as I read past the reviewer's "published" log, I noticed that someone is claiming a FTF on this.

I mean, I'm not one to really care all that much about being FTF or not, but I think that it is poor form to claim a FTF when you undoubtedly either A. was with the cacher that placed the log, or B. was notified of the cache pre-publication.

What do you all think?

There are other ways to find a cache besides reading the cache listing on GC.com. Read the first log left on this cache . GC.com is just one listing service out there. A hundred people could have found it before it was published here.

"only a simple man would think that he is the center of the universe" - unknown :D

I've read that log entry three times and have yet managed to make a connection between that log and something to do with multiple cache listing services. What did I miss? :D:D:D

You missed the ESP that my brain was producing and you unknowingly forgot that my dyslexia had rearranged the sentences into an incoherent jumble.

The log should have said " There are other ways to find a cache besides reading the cache listing on GC.com. GC.com is just one listing service out there. A hundred people could have found it before it was published here.

A local cacher didn't even need any. Read the first log left on this cache . "

I believe that will enlighten you. :D

I wondered if this would qualify as a "real" find, since I hadn't solved the puzzle to find it. But then I remembered the line from the Geocaching info sheet that says "Congratulations! you've found it (intentionally or not)", and invites the finder to log the find. So I guess it qualifies! And I can now log it. Thank you, peter, for graciously acknowledging my FTF. It was a fun find, even if I didn't do the puzzle.

(from the log cited) Sort of says it all.

As opposed to a similar situation I had, where the owner went back and moved the final, AND tore out the page with my signature one it, because "I had not experienced the cache as intended."

Find cache. Sign log. Get smiley.

You are right that it is a FTF, but it's not good and it's certainly not honest in the situation above. As far as the FTF fun goes, i just don't see how when you are the only one who knows about the cache and there's no one else even in the running? :huh:

Can someone please explain any dishonesty involved?

As far as the fun goes, ftf or not, the cache is still there to be found.

Here in the Midlands of SC, we often have 'after-event-caches' after our Midlands Geoholics Meetings that attendees can go for the FTF.

We usually submit these caches for approval before the event along with a note asking the reviewer not to publish the cache until after the event date.

Most of these caches will have 10 or 15 finds before they are officially published.

If you've never got an FTF and want one, just come to one of our Midlands Geoholics Meetings!

- T of TandS

Edited by tands