Secret Words or.......

Black Dragons

We think there should be(might be already) a secret handshake or opening statement like:

"Hello there,would you happen to know where we could find George Cache?" or something like that when aproaching people you might think are fellow cachers. I mean do you know how embarrising it is to talk to people only to find they haven't got a clue? :P

We think there should be(might be already) a secret handshake or opening statement like:

"Hello there,would you happen to know where we could find George Cache?" or something like that when aproaching people you might think are fellow cachers. I mean do you know how embarrising it is to talk to people only to find they haven't got a clue? :P

I've found that "Hi, are you a geocacher?" works pretty well. If I just get a blank look back, I assume they look like that all the time, and move on. If they express interest, I'll briefly explain it to them.

Edited by Prime Suspect

i have thought that as a secret sign you could have your right hand point to your left with the index finger extended and your left looking like you are holding a can tipped on it's side. Why? Because read from left to right by an oncoming person you are showing them the sign language letters G and C and the rest is self expalnitory. What do you think?

I usually recognize someone as being a fellow geocacher when I see them staring intently at the GPSr they are holding in their hand.

But if you aren't sure, try this: when you approach someone who you think might be a fellow geocacher, stand face to face without saying a word. Place your left hand on their right hip, and with your right hand, pat them (gently) on the top of the head while softly chanting "Juba, Juba, Juba ..."

I've never known any geocacher who actually tried this, but if you ever do, can you post back here to let us know how you made out? :P

Yay I a geocacher am I.

secret sign or phrase/password?

For those that don't like links........

(credit to Briansnat)

This started in NJ, but has taken the nation by storm. I've encountered cachers throughtout the US doing it. It goes like this:

When meeting somone you think might be a geocacher you yell "Ho, are ye a geocacher?" and the correct response is "Yay I a geocacher am I".

Upon the confirmation, the two then approach each other, put their left hand on the other person's right shoulder, standing arm's length and dance around in a circle while skipping and singing (very loudly) "Geocachers are we! Runy muny mee! Yaba daba baba. He, he, he!". This should continue for no less than 3 minutes.

In our brief career of caching we've only run into fellow geocachers once. We were pretty sure they were, but we didn't want to give up our secret identity while looking, so my question to the Dad was, "You aren't muggles, are you?"

He looked at me and said with significance, "No, we aren't muggles."

I figured if I got a blank stare or a Harry Potter conversation we'd know they weren't geocachers.

gee, I thought the sign was to sit in the mens room stall, feet tapping on the floor, and spread wide. then wiggle your fingers under the stall divider. I have used that one a few times... I can't figure out why I get all these strange looks!!

Yes, this method for identifying fellow cachers and then passing along traveling caches works quite well in most areas, but two points which you missed:

• you forgot to mention shifting one foot over to tap against the shoe of the person in the next stall
  • you neglected to mention that in some few limited regions of the USA (including parts of Minneapolis, MN) and other countries, this exact signaling semaphore has also been adapted by a subculture outside the geocaching subculture, and thus some mild confusion could result if a geocacher were to employ this signal in such areas.

In our brief career of caching we've only run into fellow geocachers once. We were pretty sure they were, but we didn't want to give up our secret identity while looking, so my question to the Dad was, "You aren't muggles, are you?"

He looked at me and said with significance, "No, we aren't muggles."

I figured if I got a blank stare or a Harry Potter conversation we'd know they weren't geocachers.

Either that, or you'd have run into some wizards.

Which would be cool.

Or wannabe wizards.

Which would be lame.

gee, I thought the sign was to sit in the mens room stall, feet tapping on the floor, and spread wide. then wiggle your fingers under the stall divider. I have used that one a few times... I can't figure out why I get all these strange looks!!

Dude,

Seriously, I will NEVER listen to my Ipod in the bathroom again. ;):D:huh:

"Did you find it?" generally works. That didn't work well for the National Map Corp person I met, though. "Yo! It's over here" also works. I've seen a geoacher doing the Juba dance. It ws not a pretty sight!

At one time I would say "Are you looking for what I'm looking for?" In certain parks however that could get

you in trouble.