Ebay etiquette

Cornerstone4

I know this has been hashed over in various other threads, but a lot has changed in the last year.

I was wondering if the general consensus has changed on this issue as well:

I have been listing several coins on Ebay, and I don't have any problem, or qualms about selling coins that I purchased in the first place. Some personal coins, that I can't remember how I got them, and I don't have any contact with the makers of the coin, I have listed as well.

However, if the coin was a gift, or from someone that I have remained in contact with, then it has meaning to me, and I don't feel right selling it. (However, I must confess that I had a coin listed that I couldn't remember where I got it. When AG told me who made it, I remembered when they sent it to me...and I felt bad about having listed it.)

Then there are the coins that the owners have made it very clear they don't want sold. These coins are traded, or given freely, with the wish that they not be sold. (Moun10Bike coins come to mind.) I had an LE Lacey that I had traded for. I decided I didn't want it, and was going to list it. Mr. Lacey asked that I not list it, so I negotiated a trade for some coins that I could sell. It was a bit more work, but I got coins to list, the person I traded with got a great coin, and Mr. Lacey is happy. Win, Win, Win.

Now, I see that there is a gold Yime on Ebay. I know how picky the Citrus Man was about letting those coins go, and I can't imagine he is too pleased about this. (Although, if he did give permission for this, then this is a bad example.)

Anyway, I was just wondering if there are so many things sold on Ebay these days that this old taboo has also gone by the wayside.

Let's try to keep this civil.

Nope, it still applies. I'd RATHER not see my Joefrog coin sold, since none were ever for sale to begin with. Traded only. Give it to someone else who is crazy for one. If it is sold, then give the $ to a worthy old-frog-supporting charity.

What annoys me more than anything on ebay is being "held hostage" by feedback - sellers who won't leave feedback for you until you leave it for them. So they can "pay you in kind," I suppose.

I feel that any coin type that was sold by the owner or any of the stores should be fair to be resold. This includes coins you may have traded for. The exception to this may be special finishes that the owner had made for giving away and trade only.

Coins that were never sold and only given away or available for trade shouldn't be sold.

That is the simple answer. Of course there is no way to enforce what someone does with a coin once it is in their possession.

Team Sand Dollar

Edited by Team Sand Dollar

I agree pretty much with what you have said Cornerstone4. Any coin that has been gifted to me has a special place and meaning to me. Also coins that have been trade only will stay that way. Now if the coin was ever sold then it is fair game to resell. I know that a lot of people feel that once it is yours you are free to do with it as you wish but I'm not one of those people...

What annoys me more than anything on ebay is being "held hostage" by feedback - sellers who won't leave feedback for you until you leave it for them. So they can "pay you in kind," I suppose.

As a buyer, I always leave feedback the day I receive my item. As a seller though, I would leave feedback once I receive payment. If someone doesn't leave me feedback, it doesn't bother me that much.

Nope, it still applies. I'd RATHER not see my Joefrog coin sold, since none were ever for sale to begin with. Traded only. Give it to someone else who is crazy for one. If it is sold, then give the $ to a worthy old-frog-supporting charity.

Oops! I'm guilty of that! I guess I just wait to make sure it gets there. Once I leave feedback, I delete them from my history in my Ebay panel.

As a seller (and I rarely sell) I don't leave feedback until I know the person has received the coin and there are no problems with the transaction. Some people can be unreasonable, and I don't want to leave good feedback until I'm sure the transaction is complete, and they are happy. That being said, I've never left bad feedback for anybody. Never gotten any either.

As a seller (and I rarely sell) I don't leave feedback until I know the person has received the coin and there are no problems with the transaction. Some people can be unreasonable, and I don't want to leave good feedback until I'm sure the transaction is complete, and they are happy.

That is exactly what I do too. I don't feel the transaction is complete until both the payment is received and the item is received. I want to be able to fix any problems that might arise. None have so far except someone typing in the wrong activation code using a 0 instead of an o.

Back to the OP My personal coins are trade only and I also would be upset if any were sold unless for charity. I would rather trade to get them back.

If you own the coin, you can sell it. If you don't own the coin, you can't sell it without permission. If the former owner wishes that you don't sell it, you may choose to honor that wish, but reality is, it's your coin. If you don't sell it, your kids who are clueless about the coin will either sell it at your estate sale, or dump it as trash.

This has nothing to do with a coin being a gift, trade, or anything else. I have a few coins that were gifts, those are the only ones that I'm going to put on display.

As a seller or buyer, I leave feedback that fits the transaction regardless of the feedback status (or lack of it) of the other party.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I feel that any coin type that was sold by the owner or any of the stores should be fair to be resold. This includes coins you may have traded for. The exception to this may be special finishes that the owner had made for giving away and trade only.

Coins that were never sold and only given away or available for trade shouldn't be sold.

That is the simple answer. Of course there is no way to enforce what someone does with a coin once it is in their possession.

Team Sand Dollar

That is my stance too...if it was sold, then it can be resold. Versions that were trade only, well...I have to admit that I'd prefer not to see our trade only versions on eBay. I would hate to think that the only reason that someone wanted to trade with me is to make a profit.

Then there are the coins that are only available as a gift or trade...my opinion...they should not be sold. Trading is fine, but do not sell it. If you don't want the coin then drop it in a cache...make someone's day, or sell it with 100% of the winning bid going to a charity. I think that it disrespectful to the person that gave/traded the coin in the first place to sell it, esp. if they ask you not to sell it when they gave it to you.

I think that if a coin was sold, then ebaying it is just fine.

On the other hand, if a coin was gifted to someone, it's just plain wrong to sell it. I know, I know, once you let it go it's not yours, but I won't trust that person (even if it wasn't my coin they sold). There is just some etiquette that should not be let go of in here, after all that's all we really have holding this community together. The selling of a a gift just shows a total lack of respect and a slap in the face to the person who was generous enough to give you something you wanted.

I also think that if a coin, whether commercial or personal, has been previously sold, it's okay to eBay it. I personally don't sell any coin that's been a trade-only coin.

My personal coins have always been trade only but others have sold them on eBay. There's nothing I can really do about it. They own it now and they can do as they please. Of course, these people end up on my own DNT (do-not-trade) list because if I trade them one of my personals, who knows if they'll put it up on eBay again.

To clarify:

Trade only coins...either I own it or I don't. If I do, it's mine to do as I please. Display it, sell it, shoot it, drill a big hole in it and hang it from my rear view mirror, or use it as a counter weight in my hula girl bobble dash angle to get more bounce. It's all good.

If I don't own it after the trade, then why the heck would I make the trade?

Edited by Renegade Knight

As a seller (and I rarely sell) I don't leave feedback until I know the person has received the coin and there are no problems with the transaction. Some people can be unreasonable, and I don't want to leave good feedback until I'm sure the transaction is complete, and they are happy.

I disagree with this practice.

Well, the person is not receiving feedback on "if they are happy." They are to be receiving feedback on if they paid you on time and communicated with you, followed your terms, etc. So I post feedback the evening the item ships. Sure that's come back to bite me in the arse a few times, but I can and do live with that. I know I'm a great seller. I'll take the negatives in stride, especially when I receive them for something I had no control over.

I also think that if a coin, whether commercial or personal, has been previously sold, it's okay to eBay it. I personally don't sell any coin that's been a trade-only coin.

My personal coins have always been trade only but others have sold them on eBay. There's nothing I can really do about it. They own it now and they can do as they please. Of course, these people end up on my own DNT (do-not-trade) list because if I trade them one of my personals, who knows if they'll put it up on eBay again.

I knew I shouldn't have sold your coin :P

I guess I am old fastion, I would never sell a trade only and or a gift coin. It's all about respect.

I had an LE Lacey that I had traded for. I decided I didn't want it, and was going to list it. Mr. Lacey asked that I not list it, so I negotiated a trade for some coins that I could sell. It was a bit more work, but I got coins to list, the person I traded with got a great coin, and Mr. Lacey is happy. Win, Win, Win.

This above is a prime example of what "should" be done on these rare occasions we need to part with a coin due to finances, hardship, and or lack of desire to hold a coin any longer.

I while back I bought (3) 4BOWS coins after some research I found that they themselfs had very few remaining, rather then ebaying the extras I bought (yes I ebay) I contacted them and let them buy them back at my cost out of respect rather then selling their personal coin, even though I had bought them from a coin house that evidently had some over stock that was being sold..

I cherish gift coins the very most, and if one day I find myself in a situation needing to part with these coins I would contact the person that "gifted" the coin to me prior to doing anything with it as I know where most every coin I have attained came from. If not remembered I would try to contact the coin maker (personal coin) to find out what they wanted me to do with the coin once again plain old fastion respect.

Pertaining to coins that were sold comercial , they are fair game to be sold,

All of the above content is "my" personal opinion, Glenn

Cornerstone4 pretty much summed up my feelings on the subject in his first post, but just to reiterate. Geocoins that were commercially sold I have no problems putting them on Ebay. Geocoins that were a gift or traded to me and the owner made it very clear they don't want the coin sold, would never be sold by me. If I no longer wanted the coin in my collection I would seek a trade (maybe a multiple coin trade if the coin is rare or highly sought after) or gift it to someone else.

Edited by TMOCM
:P Well I'm not going to get in a big debate over why some people get a wrinkle in their skivvies when their coin is sold on ebay. I will agree that gifted coins shouldn't be sold. Free market coins on the other hand are different. This Ebay discussion has been going on for at least two years now, and there's no sign of everyone coming to an agreement one way or another on this very much discussed subject. (Just do a forum title search for "ebay" and see how many threads there have been in just the past year.) Everyone has a right to their own opinon. I will say that when I trade or give one of my coins to someone, they can do with it what they will. That's just me, it's my opinion and it's just as valid as anyone elses. :P

I think it's a shame when a coin is given as a gift and the recipient then lists it later on ebay. The person is just profiteering from the other person's kindness.

I sell quite a few coins on ebay, but i personally don't list stuff that was a gift or a Trade Only coin to me. On the other hand, just makeing a trade with someone for something commercial I can then sell.

Just to clarify:

Trade Only = a coin that was never sold commercially to the forum or otherwise (I don't include one off charity auctions as commercial).

Commercial Trade = I trade someone for a coin that they bought, I feel since the coin was originally sold I can resell it (either via ebay or private sale).

If you have the coin in your posession in an honest fashion, it's yours to do with as you please. Simple. If you want to sell it, you can sell it. If you want to destroy it, go for it. Once you have posession of a coin you are the owner and you make the final call.

I will say that I have traded with many and have had coins given to me by many and it'd be some dire straights before I would sell, but if it comes to the point of paying bills, feeding my family, etc...then that coin goes.

If you have the coin in your posession in an honest fashion, it's yours to do with as you please. Simple. If you want to sell it, you can sell it. If you want to destroy it, go for it. Once you have posession of a coin you are the owner and you make the final call.

I will say that I have traded with many and have had coins given to me by many and it'd be some dire straights before I would sell, but if it comes to the point of paying bills, feeding my family, etc...then that coin goes.

I understand your point. And technically, you are correct in your opinion.

However, I realize this thread is really a powder keg issue. Someone let me know who the seller on this auction is, and then it really rang a bell with me. Unfortunately, this very coin that is now for sale was the subject of this post here:

Golden Yime

You can see where this thread headed, and you probably remember the drama that followed.

Actually, that may actually be the reason the coin is being sold now. Maybe it just brings back bad memories.

Well, the person is not receiving feedback on "if they are happy." They are to be receiving feedback on if they paid you on time and communicated with you, followed your terms, etc. So I post feedback the evening the item ships. Sure that's come back to bite me in the arse a few times, but I can and do live with that. I know I'm a great seller. I'll take the negatives in stride, especially when I receive them for something I had no control over.

You are a great seller and far more experienced than me. But I wouldn't post a negative just because they did. I just don't feel the transaction is done until I know they received it. Usually the only way I know is through feed back. Of course if they email me they received it, then I go ahead and post positive feedback. And I've always let them know that I will post their feed back when I know they recieved the item, or 10 days after I've mailed the item. Some people don't leave feed back, but I want to make sure that I always do.

I guess I am old fastion, I would never sell a trade only and or a gift coin. It's all about respect.

I while back I bought (3) 4BOWS coins after some research I found that they themselfs had very few remaining, rather then ebaying the extras I bought (yes I ebay) I contacted them and let them buy them back at my cost out of respect rather then selling their personal coin, even though I had bought them from a coin house that evidently had some over stock that was being sold..

Glenn, I really appreciated this about you. :P

We don't plan to sell many coins on E-bay, but I have to confess, that while some trades mean a lot to me, and I'll always remember them, some trades fade in my memory. Maybe it's old age!! Anyway, I can't guarantee that I'll never sell a traded coin, but I would probably try to contact the seller beforehand (like Glenn did with us) if I were going to put a personal coin on E-bay. I agree that commercial coins are fair game to sell or trade as desired.

Question...

Would you trade again with someone that sold your trade only or gifted coin?

No. I realize that some get coins to make a profit on ebay--I say more power to you! Selling on ebay takes a lot of time and effort to do it well. However, selling a gift or trade only coin is a big no no in my book, and I wouldn't trade with someone who sold our trade only or gift coins.

Edited by lindsychris

WOW I missed alot at work today. :P

I think it goes further than just eBay though. If someone chooses to give you a coin they paid to have minted, then you have an obligation to abide by the rules set forth when you accepted it. If you don't want to, then decline the coin. Sure anything is fair game when in your possession, but you had an agreement. If you traded for the coin then it is yours to do with as you see fit.

Someone said something about a Yime coin on eBay right now. That is a great example of a coin that was never sold, and was only traded. The Gold ones were tarded even more relucantly with a smaller minting. Some were gifted. It is well known by everyone these coins all came with a do not sell clause attached to them. My opinion is when you accepted it, you accepted the terms. What really makes me wonder is what would have happened it the seller would have managed to get the other ones as well. I remember the drama started in trying to secure the whole collection since one wasn't good enough. It resulted in a temporary GeoCide. Would we be seeing the whole set for sale.

Luckily I don't covet every coin out there, so I can easily pick and choose who I want to trade with. When I see actions such as this, I remember it and usually choose not to trade with this person in the future.

You trade for it, do as you wish with it.

You buy it, do as you wish with it.

You are gifted it, you have an obligation to abide by the rules of the presenter, provided they were in existence when you got the coin, which this one they were.

What's next? Mystery coins going up for sale?

I have only been a member of the coin community for a couple of months now. I try to stay informed on new releases, as well as learn about the older coins, but there is a lot I don't know. I obviously by now know that Moun10Bike coins are trade only, but there are many others that I don't know about. If I saw the coin, I may think "ooh pretty" but not realize it is trade only or if it was originally for sale somewhere. Whether or not the coin is trackable is an indicator, but is not always a cut and dry way to tell if a coin is trade only.

That being said, I personally have only ever sold 5 coins on ebay, and they were my own personal coins. I would only consider selling a coin that I had made, or possibly a coin that I had purchased from a vendor and know for sure that it is a coin that can be sold. I wouldn't sell a coin that was given to me, and unless I already had the same coin, I most likely wouldn't trade it either.

I just started trading this summer, and all of the coins I traded were my personal coins, and coins I had purchased extras of from a vendor as traders. I feel like when I trade for a coin, it is because I really like the coin and intend to keep it. I intend to keep the coins that have been gifted to me, and coins that I have traded for (especially for my personal). I would feel strange trading off or selling someone else's personal coin. As of right now, the majority of the personal coins in my collection are from people that I know, and most of them I traded personally with the person that made the coin.

:P:P

You are a great seller and far more experienced than me. But I wouldn't post a negative just because they did. I just don't feel the transaction is done until I know they received it. Usually the only way I know is through feed back. Of course if they email me they received it, then I go ahead and post positive feedback. And I've always let them know that I will post their feed back when I know they recieved the item, or 10 days after I've mailed the item. Some people don't leave feed back, but I want to make sure that I always do.

I only commented to this because I am on the complete opposite side as you and to explain how I view feedback.

But a lot of eBay sellers DO hold back feedback just in case the buyer gives them an unfavorable rating. And I am totally against that practice. I won't post retalitory feeback just because I am ticked off at the buyer's behavior.

As far as the topic of this thread goes, I am surprised a person who flat out begged for the coin in question is now selling it. Bad memories or not. Very shocking to me.

Now, I see that there is a gold Yime on Ebay. I know how picky the Citrus Man was about letting those coins go, and I can't imagine he is too pleased about this. (Although, if he did give permission for this, then this is a bad example.)

Nope. I'm not pleased, and I let the seller know about it last night. Nothing I can do about it but express my disappointment.

Ultimately...it's my own fault for trying to do something different around here. Rather than babble on about my stupid idea again, just read it here.

The coin was a gift to the seller for showing exceptional kindness on these forums. Whenever I sent out any Golden Yime, I specifically asked the receipient to do anything they like with it except part with it for profit. As you can see, profit won. Lesson learned.

If I saw the coin, I may think "ooh pretty" but not realize it is trade only or if it was originally for sale somewhere. Whether or not the coin is trackable is an indicator, but is not always a cut and dry way to tell if a coin is trade only.

True alot of them are hard to know what the original intent was, but some are the easiest. Any coin given to you by the original minter and said DO NOT SELL makes a great indicator.

I disagree with this practice. The feedback given is on my actions. If I pay you the correct amount in the time you stated, then I should get postive feedback. I did my part. Withholding feedback till they do anything else is viewed as ransom in my book.

Nope. I'm not pleased, and I let the seller know about it last night. Nothing I can do about it but express my disappointment.

Ultimately...it's my own fault for trying to do something different around here. Rather than babble on about my stupid idea again, just read it here.

The coin was a gift to the seller for showing exceptional kindness on these forums. Whenever I sent out any Golden Yime, I specifically asked the receipient to do anything they like with it except part with it for profit. As you can see, profit won. Lesson learned.

I feel for ya, oh Citrusy one. I cringed when I saw Dave mentioned one was up, and fell off my seat when I saw the gc ID of the seller. We all lived that thread with you. Sorry dude :P

I feel for ya, oh Citrusy one. I cringed when I saw Dave mentioned one was up, and fell off my seat when I saw the gc ID of the seller. We all lived that thread with you. Sorry dude :P

I second that, the yimes are precious.

Question...

Nope, they would go on my "Never trade with again list" too.

So far only 1 of our trade only personal coins have been sold (that I know of, and not by us) and I would never trade with this person again. I even emailed them and offered to win my coin in the bid and trade back their coin for mine which they agreed, then after the bidding was over they 'changed' their mind and wanted the money. Needless to say I never sent them money and they are the only negitive feedback I've ever received on Ebay.

I consider a trade only coin just that, trade only. If I no longer wanted the coin I would contact the orginal owner to see if they wanted it back and then if they didn't try and trade it away to someone that would respect the trade only 'Gentleman's agreement'.

A presonal coin that is sold or a comercially sold coin is free to be sold again though, in my opinion.

Dave, Good things done are not forgotten, not necessary to have one person make you feel bad, don't even go there it's not worth it ! Even though mine is not Golden I will have mine embedded in my headstone and it will read I've been Yimed :P One most certinaly not going to leave my collection or me , :P

yime1.jpg

EDIT: Sorry to be off topic with this post, But this is a example of a coin that should not be sold, there now we are back on topic.. :)

Edited by glennk721

Question...

No. I realize that some get coins to make a profit on ebay--I say more power to you! Selling on ebay takes a lot of time and effort to do it well. However, selling a gift or trade only coin is a big no no in my book, and I wouldn't trade with someone who sold our trade only or gift coins.

I agree. No I would not trade with that person again if they sold my trade only coin or gift coins.

Let me change the question a bit...would you feel the same way about the person if they truly needed money due to emergency or some other hardship?

I have seen people sell a gifted coin due to hardships before. Each time I have seen this, they asked for permission first since they knew it was the right thing to do. This is not your only option. Personally if I was gifted a coin and fell on some hard times, I would sell coins off. But the ones that were gifted to me would either be -A- given back -B- asked of the gifter if it would be OK to sell or -C- traded to someone else for that I could get that I could sell. You cold easily trade the Yime coin away for a few coins that would be good sellers on eBay in which you would make the same amount of money, but not have to ship your self respect and dignity with the coin. Your reputation speaks volumes of you when you are in a strictly online world. Sadly actions like these may never be forgotten, and rightly so.

Edited by pghlooking

Let me change the question a bit...would you feel the same way about the person if they truly needed money due to emergency or some other hardship?

I can't speak for the person in question but why not trade for a number of other coins and sell them. Like someone mentioned before. Sounds good to me, what did they say Win Win WIN!

A&T, Most certinaly if there was dire hardship most would be excepting I am sure, There is always plan B:

I had an LE Lacey that I had traded for. I decided I didn't want it, and was going to list it. Mr. Lacey asked that I not list it, so I negotiated a trade for some coins that I could sell. It was a bit more work, but I got coins to list, the person I traded with got a great coin, and Mr. Lacey is happy. Win, Win, Win.

Plan C : And or to contact the person to find out if they had objection to a sale, There is always differant ways to approch something. As I did with 4BOWS.

Respect can be maintained through the process of a personal coin sale and or trade it to someone that would appreciate it for a coin/coins (due to rarity) that could be sold without hardship to anyone. It's truly a issue of respect.

Hence I have a Moun10bike coin new to my collection I am quite proud of, If need arose I indeed could not would not sell it ! I would simply trade it to someone that could appreciate it and sell the other coins.

EDIT to add, I have 2 very special finishs of your coin that were never sold, The same respect would be shown to you if need be they ever needed to be parted with, I did not buy these coins they were contest gifts :P

Edited by glennk721

It's true. I am the one selling the said coin on ebay.

I'm moving on October 6th and haven't had a paycheck

since June. I've countered that by selling first, my

'Traders' and 'bought' coins. This third swoop of sales,

obviously hurt some feelings. I apologize if this is true.

In the past year, I have spent a personal fortune on Geocoins.

I never expected to sell these Coins, but now I have done so.

The said Coin is still my most Favorite. I guess, this is

my Rarest Coin in my Collection, so it holds the most personal

worth. I'm stuck between a rock & a hard place right now,

and that is why I delved deeper into my personal collection

and made this choice.

Because of my Personal situation, I made this choice.

Which does not come without altercations, hence this Thread.

I will cancel my Yime auction.

Dave, Good things done are not forgotten, not necessary to have one person make you feel bad, don't even go there it's not worth it ! Even though mine is not Golden I will have mine embedded in my headstone and it will read I've been Yimed :P One most certinaly not going to leave my collection or me , :P

yime1.jpg

EDIT: Sorry to be off topic with this post, But this is a example of a coin that should not be sold, there now we are back on topic.. :D

Same here...you are gonna have to pry my dead hand off the Yime you've given me before it gets sold....

It's true. I am the one selling the said coin on ebay.

I'm moving on October 6th and haven't had a paycheck

since June. I've countered that by selling first, my

'Traders' and 'bought' coins. This third swoop of sales,

obviously hurt some feelings. I apologize if this is true.

In the past year, I have spent a personal fortune on Geocoins.

I never expected to sell these Coins, but now I have done so.

The said Coin is still my most Favorite. I guess, this is

my Rarest Coin in my Collection, so it holds the most personal

worth. I'm stuck between a rock & a hard place right now,

and that is why I delved deeper into my personal collection

and made this choice.

Because of my Personal situation, I made this choice.

Which does not come without altercations, hence this Thread.

I will cancel my Yime auction.

Allie, I am sorry you are faced with hardship ! I know many a folk will offer you in trade many a coin, that would equal the dollars you would make from this sale, Golden Yimes are out of season and well sort after. :P

Wish you well, Glenn

Yes, I do.

Absolutely, sell them, it's just a coin, if you need it for a kidney (or rent, medical bills, car repairs, etc).... but, I still would not trade in the future with that person. Everyone comes across hardships, and we all have our own way of dealing with them. Nothing wrong there. The issue comes when the person expects to come back in and start all fresh again, just doesn't work that way for me. Sure, you can buy and trade, but I wouldn't expect to be getting anything special, and there will be people who won't trade with you at all.

Maybe this is it for coins for this person. In that case sell them off and don't worry about who you ticked off. To me there are coins that even though they are in my possession they are a part of that person and I would never sell them, I would give them back, but to me they just really aren't mine to sell, they're just special.

It's nice to know people here place a stupid coin over a person.

The priorities I have seen exposed here makes me sick.

You all should be ashamed of yourselves. So much for this "nice" community.

:P

Seriously? We are talking about people here, about integrity. It really has little to do with the coin, the coin was just the door that opened to something much deeper.