Geocaching etiquette

Geokashers

I've been geocaching for about 4 months now and clearly have the bug. I came across a geocaching issue today that really bothered me so I wanted to see if it was just me or of there are any kinds of rules of the road for geocaching.

I saw a brand new cache show up in my area today....so I left work and hustled to that area. I was there alone for a few minutes and was 2 feet away from being the FTF when another geocacher drove up, got out of his car, and walked straight to the location and picked it up....thus becoming the FTF. I had stopped what I was doing to chat and thought the new cacher would give me a chance to find it first since I was there first but....he went straight to the cache and picked it up. :P So, in a situation like this what should be done? Is all fair in love and geocaching? I've gone after caches before and was asked to stand back while the other cachers continued their search....and I did that.

I'm really unhapppy about how this went down today so I wanted to see if it was just me or if this other cacher was out of bounds in any way. I'd also like to know this so I know how to act should this ever happen again! Thanks!

As a matter of courtesy, I would have allowed you the opportunity to log as first finder if you were there first, and if you were actively hunting the cache. I don't care if I am the FTF, just as long as I get to log a find. If you allowed me to hunt with you again I would have offered the FTF to you. I even hunt with others and hand them the log to sign before me, FTF or not. I usually don't even annotate in a log that I have been the FTF. Sometimes there is a valuable FTF prize. I have heard of new GPSRs and even a plane ticket to Calilfornia (I live in Kentucky) as a prize. I have had the same experience as you. I have found new friends and geocaching buddies by these chance meetings. FTFs simply are not important to me.

Is all fair in love and geocaching? I've gone after caches before and was asked to stand back while the other cachers continued their search....and I did that.

This particular part of your original post caught my eye... I'm also new to geocaching, and wonder what the appropriate ettiquette would be, in this particular case?

I figure, that if I stumble across or find the general cache location on my very own, and if there are others still searching in that location, that were there before me... I think I can continue my searching, and not have to wait for them first, even if they did request me to wait. As long as there is room for all of us, and there is no danger or anything (the cache locations I have visited so far, are pretty tame... but I guess there could be instances where only one person could safely fit or traverse?) Depending on circumstances, I would probably offer to help, and share the find too... but I know I wouldn't just "stand back", if they didn't even know if they were close. I think someone who would request that from you, is too concentrated on "first to finds" and stats...

I mean... in theory, you could be waiting forever for them, and they may never find it, depending on their luck or geocaching skillset.

I'd probably try and throw those people off the scent in that case, faking a find nearby or something. haha.

I wonder how many "arguments" there have been, in geocaching, with different parties all being at the same cache location, at the same time? lol.

So far... I can't say that I have bumped into any other cachers during my cache finds. I'm pretty quiet though, and try to stay out of sight, or not noticed anyway. I'm sure, one of these days, I will bump into another cacher.

The other cacher was rude. Common courtesy would demand that they ask if join you in searching for the cache. Most people would then say "sure" (for it would be rude to not let them join as well) and then the hunt would begin in earnest.

One big reason to ask is because search styles vary. My group uses the Three Muskateers Method. If one finds it we all do. Others use the huckle buckle beanstalk method. If one finds it they step back without giving it away and allow the others to find it as well. Without the courtesy of asking and clarifying this you just are not on the same page for hunting the cache. Plus if the FTF race is so bad that a join FTF can't be had (like most of us would do), then you do deserve the option to say "Thank you for asking, but I'm going to hunt this one alone".

Is all fair in love and geocaching? I've gone after caches before and was asked to stand back while the other cachers continued their search....and I did that.

This particular part of your original post caught my eye... I'm also new to geocaching, and wonder what the appropriate ettiquette would be, in this particular case?

<snip>

I'd probably try and throw those people off the scent in that case, faking a find nearby or something. haha.

<snip>

I would not be amused if you did that. I had a caching partner do that to me a few times, but when I turned the tables and did it to them, they found out it wasn't very fun . . . :P

The other cacher was rude.

<snip>

I agree . . . I also agree with the rest of RK's post.

I can imagine the tension if you met up with that person at a local Event . . . :P Maybe without a FTF at stake they would be more personable. I would hope so.

I'm new to the whole Geocaching culture myself. It really sounds like it could a very fun and rewarding family activity. Reading anecdotes such as this are quite disconcerting. Geocachers are a small group. Our numbers are growing but remain a very small percentage of the population. One would think that this would create a sense of friendliness and community. Apparently, for some, this is not the case and all they have in life is to be the first to find a little trinket and build their stats on a website.

I'm not sure what I would have done in your situation. Clearly, this jerk was wrong. But would it be worth it to pound him a couple of times? Probably not. However, he clearly needs a lesson in common courtesy and manners. Based on your story, you were the first to find the cache. You just stopped to say hello and chat, he ignored you and ran to the cache. That was wrong and rude.

In your other story where the group told you to "stay back" while they continued to search, I do not believe they had any right to do so since they had not yet found it. At that time the hunt was on and it was a race. That could be a lot of fun trying to find it before "the other guys" so long as the hunt was not adversarial. I commend you for your consideration to the other searchers even though I do not think it was required for you to wait. Had they already found it, that would have been different.

When I return from Iraq and take my family out on our first hunt together at least I'll know that not all GC's are considerate and friendly. I'll be prepared for that minority.

We've actually done it both ways.

Usually, if we don't know the cacher, we will stop back a bit and ask if they are geocachers (which is pretty obvious by the gpsr in their hand :P ).

If they are friendly and invite us to help, we do.

However, If they have kids searching, we will not jump in the midst, but will stand back with the parents and observe.

On the other hand, if it's a geocacher that we know, we will jump in front of them, pushing and shoving :P to get that FTF. (ok, I'm just kidding).

We've actually done it both ways.

Usually, if we don't know the cacher, we will stop back a bit and ask if they are geocachers (which is pretty obvious by the gpsr in their hand :) ).

If they are friendly and invite us to help, we do.

However, If they have kids searching, we will not jump in the midst, but will stand back with the parents and observe.

On the other hand, if it's a geocacher that we know, we will jump in front of them, pushing and shoving :P to get that FTF. (ok, I'm just kidding).

I would do it that way too. It realy depends on the situation. If the other cachers are looking in the wrong spot when I find it then I'm the FTF. If we are all looking in the same spot then I would share the FTF. But when you think about it, it really doesn't matter that much who finds it first as long as you all find it. :P

I have not run into a FTF situation but have been hunting in an area or walked up on someone hunting, the first time this happened they asked me if i had any luck yet, they gave me the time to find the cache without jumping in front of me, since I am new to this I have just followed their lead and give the first person there the chance to find it. I have not been asked for assistance and have not asked for assistance either.

Common sense and a sense of fair play makes this a friendly sport, the kind you want to share with your kids, unfortunately it sounds like you had to deal with a rude self centered person only interested in himself and not concerned about the basic enjoyment of geocaching.

Maybe in the future they will make geocaching a full contact sport and it will be easier to deal with rude people.

:P

I think that your mistake was in not continuing your search.

I've only run across this three times in 1300 finds. In two cases we joined forces. One neither of us found. One neither of us would give up in case the other found it. :rolleyes: Tough with the ice coating on the hillside! He found it and logged co-FTF. I told him that he found it, and it was his FTF. Third case, the zombie (oops, FTF hound) said Hi, and walked right by us, and grabbed it. Hey, he FTFed it!

Find it first, sign the log, that's good for an FTF.

On non-FTF encounters, we usually join forces, unless the other cacher does not choose to. And, that seldom happens.

I, personally, think it was rude...but I tend to be a very courteous person.

I would have asked to join or just stood back and waited my turn! That's just my style, though!

Hi all,

Thanks for all the GREAT appends! I really do appreciate all the feedback. To clarify a couple things based on questions in the previous appends.....the cacher knew I was geocaching as I had my GPS device in my hand. It was also in a shopping center.....way out of the way. When I arrived at this location I actually saw the cache....which was in a sprinkler attachment. It was even camod to look wet! Nicely done in fact. But....rather than play with someone's pipes and risk messing them up I thought I'd first check everything else out first. I was in the process of doing that when the other cacher walked up and snagged it. He had much more geocaching experience than me...more than 10 times my number of finds.....over 5000 finds I believe....so he'd 'seen it all' before.

He and I have since exchanged a couple of emails since our meeting. They were really nice emails. He said he didn't intend to step on any toes and even apologized. I really appreciated the emails! Restored my faith in geocachers! He also said that because he knew the person that had hid the cache...that he essentially knew what he'd need to be looking for....since he'd seen many of this person's other hides. So he had that on his side too.

Oh well. I do like to be the FTF. But I know in the future I'd always offer to be co-FTFers with all those present.

Thanks again to all those that responded to my question about etiquette! I now know there are no hard and fast rules. I can't control how others cache....but I know I really enjoy the times when I come across other cachers in the field....and get to know who they are and where they come from.

Thanks! :huh:

this has never happened to me, i only have 30 finds. you got me to thinking how i would react in the same situation. if we decided to look for it together, cool. if the person just wanted to grab it solo to be ftf my thoughts would be "well, obviously this is the most important thing in this person's life, so bless their heart." then after they found it i would just smile at them. ftf's are nice, i have a few, but they are not what geocaching is all about...to me anyway.

Around these parts, we're pretty helpful. If I stumble into another cacher, I'll offer help; never been turned down. I will, typically, let the searcher know when I find it, to see if they want help, or want to find it themselves. Most of the time, they'll take the help, but ocasionally want to do all the work on their own.

I've never met a rude FTF hound. Around here, we're pretty cut-throat, but when it comes down to it, everyone that's there for the first to find 'party' when the cache is found gets an FTF. Hey - it doesn't really mean anything, why not? Unless there's a prize - then, the actual first to find gets that, unless they don't want it.

Since you were at GZ first, the other person should have allowed you co-FTF at the least, preferably with first billing.

In just over a year caching, I have met only one other person at GZ, I knew what he was doing by the walking stick and the lanyard that didn't disappear quickly enough into his pocket as I approached. I immediately announced "I believe we are here for the same purpose." He spyed the cache first, he signed the log before I did. It was just right that way.

Only on one occasion have I cached with someone I had just met. Not knowing his preferred method, I stepped aside after spying the cache, and waited until he found it also. I just didn't want to ruin the surprise of the hiding technique! Since I am not numbers anal, I feel letting everyone have the thrill of discovery for themselves is the best method for an enjoyable experience. If on a numbers run with someone, where the goal is strictly numbers, the first to find could pull the cache and sign for all, if this is agreed upon beforehand.

I always considered one of the distinctions of geocaching was its uncompetitive nature -- the thrill of the hunt without rivalries or ego involved, but then, maybe that's just me. Who cares about FTF? You can get a lot of satisfaction and thrill just feeling "above" the boors who insist on making what is a wonderfully trusting global community activity into a competitive sport. Be the FTS -- first to sneer!

I've only stumbled across another cacher once last fall shortly after getting started in the hobby. They graciously let us finish up and we hid the container again. After coming out of the woods, they chatted with us for a little bit and we wished each other luck.

In your case, it sounds like the other player meant no harm. Good to hear that things ended up working out!