Invisible Shield

Team Coris

Just thought I would toss up a quick post and see if anyone has used the Invisible Shield GPS Screen protector. I am looking at getting one for my GPS and want to make sure no one has had any bad experiences with them. :laughing:

I just bought one for my 60CSx (Both in the mail). I have used Invisibleshield for other products (iPod, PSP) and they have worked out great. Once I get the 60CSx version, I'll let you know how it works out.

There have been quite a few posts concerning the Invisible Shield within the past year. For the most part it is excellent: lifetime warranty and does a great job of preventing scratches. Doesn't distort viewing of screen to an large degree when applied correctly. Suggest searching for old posts for a lot more information and opinoins on them and on the best application technique. I have been very pleased with mine on my 60CSx for over a year now.

I've used it on every unit I've had and also on my watch. It is GREAT. Last week I was walking back to my truck after finding a cache. It was getting pretty dark and I made a misstep and my foot came down on the edge of a rut. I went into a spinning fall and hit a small oak tree. I dragged the inside of my bicep all the way down and scratched it deeply. It was pretty ugly. I had my 76CSx in the other hand and the screen of it smashed against the same oak tree and dragged all the way down, scraping against the rough bark with my weight behind it.

When I quit cussing I looked at my screen and saw that it was opaque with scratches. You could barely see through the invisibleSHIELD for all the scratching. The screen underneath was fine. The shield is self-healing and by the next morning it was fine. Without the invisibleSHIELD or with some cheapo office store "screen protector" my unit would have been toast. There is NO way the screen would have survived. It would have been ruined beyond repair. That $10 piece of plastic saved the unit. I'll NEVER have a unit without one of these things installed.

Guess I'll be going against the grain here.

I have purchased and used an Invisible Sheild screen protector for my Garmin 60Cx and I must say I was dissapointed. While it is a VERY durable screen protector it really messed with the screen fidelity. I applied it exactly as the directions described and was left with what I can only describe as an orange peel look to the screen. There was a slightly wavy distortion to the graphics (which was worse under direct sunlight). My preference is for a screen protector that is invisible (you shouldn't even notice that is there at all).

That said, in my experience the best screen protector is from Martin Fields. These screen protectors are invisible. It does lack an anti-glare coating but such coatings only detract from the screen fidelity. You wouldn't know it was there except for the slight outline at the edges. I first purchased one for my PSP two years ago and it is perfect. Even after a couple years of use there is only one tiny scratch on the protector. These are really the best screen protectors on the market.

Guess I'll be going against the grain here.

That said, in my experience the best screen protector is from Martin Fields. These screen protectors are invisible. It does lack an anti-glare coating but such coatings only detract from the screen fidelity. You wouldn't know it was there except for the slight outline at the edges. I first purchased one for my PSP two years ago and it is perfect. Even after a couple years of use there is only one tiny scratch on the protector. These are really the best screen protectors on the market.

They appear to only have these for the Garmins? (6)

Nuvi 610 Nuvi 660 GPSMap 60CSx Garmin Quest Garmin iQue M5 Garmin iQue 3600

Edited by canuck travellers

I've had the invisibile shield product on my 76Csx for about 6 months now.

It was very easy to install. Just be sure to use plenty of the included installation fluid on both sides of the shield and your fingers.

I can't tell that it has any effect on the quality of the visibility of the screen.

No better or worse than other screen protectors I have used for PDAs.

The product is VERY tough and despite a lot of in the field use, no problems with peeling or any visible scratches on the protector at all.

Very much worth the investment! :laughing:

I have one for my 76CSx, and it works great. It was easy to apply and is barely noticeable. I also got a full body cover for my cell phone, and it also works wonderfully.

Follow the directions when you install it, take your time, and you will be fine. And the things is super durable. I don't think I can recommend them enough.

I just placed an order for my new 60CSx.

It said 3 weeks delivery (to the US), does it really take that long?

Yes. Ordered three, 1 for Venture Cx, 1 for Fuji Finepix and 1 for my wife's Canon EOS 40D (yes it is as awesome as she thought). The shield works great and after it settles there are no bubles or dots.

I have had a shield for my 60Cx and eTrex Legend - I swear by them.

My daughter was carrying the Legend, tripped and braced her fall with the Legend in her hand. She was fine and the shield took the hit with a scratch across the bottom of the shield. No scratches on the screen itself and they replaced the shield without issue.

All of my friend have ordered shields for their GPSrs. They love them too.

While it is a VERY durable screen protector it really messed with the screen fidelity. I applied it exactly as the directions described and was left with what I can only describe as an orange peel look to the screen. There was a slightly wavy distortion to the graphics (which was worse under direct sunlight).

I'll second that emotion. <ouch> That was my experience with my first 60-series shield. I put it on just like the directions said, and it was orange peel-ish. It also overhung the screen at the top by a mm or 2, and dust started accumulating there. I called them up and they sent me a new one and I sent them the bad one. The new one is better, and fits just right (about 1-2mm smaller than the screen) but still slightly wavy.

I tried this product twice and had miserable results. Air bubbles, hard to align because it grips too hard ie no setup time, etc. Other folks seem to use it with no problem, just did not work for me. I have since bought the palm pilot screen protector pack and it works great! Costs about $19, but you can do all your cameras, gps's, palms, etc. Peoria Bill :>)

I tried this product twice and had miserable results. Air bubbles, hard to align because it grips too hard ie no setup time, etc. Other folks seem to use it with no problem, just did not work for me. I have since bought the palm pilot screen protector pack and it works great! Costs about $19, but you can do all your cameras, gps's, palms, etc. Peoria Bill :>)

Did you watch the video? There's plenty of set-up time, if you spray the surface liberally with the provided solution. Spray your fingertips, too. It will make handling the protector much easier.