Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
jao826

park/forest ranger radio frequencies?

I hike alot, and drive through the forest/park. Does anyone know the frequency that the rangers use?

Depends on where you are...

Forest / park frequencies change from area to area, county to county, state to state, etc.

Edited by N8OFP - Del

I live in tennessee, so I basically hike in the smokey mountains, and the cherokee national forest.

Also, one more question. Do the rangers use a repeater? If not, how does their radios (on their waist. I guess you call those a HT to) reach all over the park? Unless, theirs put out way more power then our 'ham' HTs.

Frequencies change in from location to location. If you wish to have a frequency to contact rangers in case of emergency, ask them for one they would wish you to use. Perhaps, there is a public frequency in that area that is monitered for just that purpose. Asking also allows you to stay off that one keeping it clear for it's intended use.

Whether or not a repeater is used depends on the type of radio, and it's purpose. Most often, that is the case, just as the unit most LEOs were on their person relays through the squad unit to pick up more signal, than to a repeater tower for relay to the dispatch office, when needed.

And yes, many of their radios have more power than those allowed for civilian use.

With frequencies used by different organizations depending on location, your best bet is to google scanner directory for your area. Some of the organizations that have their own freqs are worth the time to search. McDonalds, Colleges, and other not so common groups are just a few.

Good Luck

I'm not planing on using those frequiencies, and my radio only transmits on 144-148 so I couldn't use them if I wanted to. I just want to listen.

I think the usual bureaucratic efficiencies have hit that list. Look at the location under "Great Lakes Mtns", might be what you want.

Remember the rule, government jobs and political offices are most commonly held by those too inadequate to hack it in the real world.