60csx?

daviddsims

Guys I have probally a silly question but I am going to ask it anyways. Someone gave me some gps coordinates for some new trails to try, I had to change the default input to hddd.ddddd because that is the way he had them saved. My question is can I just leave the settings like that and why would anyone change the default to that, is there a reason for this?

Guys I have probally a silly question but I am going to ask it anyways. Someone gave me some gps coordinates for some new trails to try, I had to change the default input to hddd.ddddd because that is the way he had them saved. My question is can I just leave the settings like that and why would anyone change the default to that, is there a reason for this?

The site uses DDD MM.mmm so that is the way you should use it unless you want to carry a calculator with you.

The site uses DDD MM.mmm so that is the way you should use it unless you want to carry a calculator with you.

The coordinates I got were for some atv trails that he had stored on his gps. It was not on this site. Do I need to go back into the units page and change back to the default now that I have his stored or does it make a difference?

The coordinates I got were for some atv trails that he had stored on his gps. It was not on this site. Do I need to go back into the units page and change back to the default now that I have his stored or does it make a difference?

I would if I were you. If you do a multi someday, you will get coords in the DDD MM.mmm format. Edited by TrailGators

Try downloading all from the GPSr into MapSource, changing the position preferences in MapSource to get the units you want. Delete all the old stuff on the GPSr, and then upload all the corrected coordinates. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure you can do it that way. MapSource changes the coordinates of existing waypoints when you change the position preferences, so it should work. But I would make backups of everything just to be safe.

VT

Try downloading all from the GPSr into MapSource, changing the position preferences in MapSource to get the units you want. Delete all the old stuff on the GPSr, and then upload all the corrected coordinates. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure you can do it that way. MapSource changes the coordinates of existing waypoints when you change the position preferences, so it should work. But I would make backups of everything just to be safe.

VT

You can just put the GPS into DDD.ddddd mode and enter the coords. Then switch the GPS back to DDD mm.mmm mode to convert all the coords. Edited by TrailGators

Sounds like you changed the format from your GPS to hddd.ddddd. Entered the coord's you got into your GPS in that format. Now just change your GPS back to the default format, and the coord's in the hddd.ddddd format should be converted into the default (DDD.mm.mmm) format, and should be accurate. It's that simple, and now you are done, and don't have to worry about any other converting to do. Makes sense?

Oop's look like we got jinks! Do I owe you a coke?

Edited by Scott-N8ZUS
Sounds like you changed the format from your GPS to hddd.ddddd. Entered the coord's you got into your GPS in that format. Now just change your GPS back to the default format, and the coord's in the hddd.ddddd format should be converted into the default (DDD.mm.mmm) format, and should be accurate. It's that simple, and now you are done, and don't have to worry about any other converting to do. Makes sense?

Oop's look like we got jinks! Do I owe you a coke?

Yes, pay up! :laughing:
Thanks a bunch for all the good answers. Scott that is exactly what I did and you are right on the money. What I meant to ask was would it be ok to go back and put the unit in default mode now that I have entered the coordinates in the format he gave me and still have them be accurate.
You can go back and forth all you want and it won't affect the accuracy one bit. :laughing:

Thanks a bunch for all the good answers. Scott that is exactly what I did and you are right on the money. What I meant to ask was would it be ok to go back and put the unit in default mode now that I have entered the coordinates in the format he gave me and still have them be accurate.

All coordinates are internally stored in decimal degree format, WGS-84 datum. If the interface is set to something else, the GPS simply performs the conversion on the fly.