Where are some Accessible Caches?

Nochipra

I had this posted under an old post but thought I would create a new post for it so that other cachers with disabilities might see it.

I have been checking out the handicaching site but I was unable to find any local caches that were "handicapped/wheelchair accessible". At least the ones I've bookmarked to do at a future date. I really would like to see the handicaching site list the caches they have rated listed by state instead of having to type in the navi #. If anyone knows of any wheelchair accessible caches in Hampton Road Va area or anywhere for that matter please put them in this post. I know that when I look at a cache the first thing I look for is the little handicapped symbol on the cache page but sometimes even when it does have that symbol it still is not what I consider wheelchair accessible because there is a curb to get to an LPC or some other obstacle in the way of a cache. The one's that I have found that I liked are:

GCX5VQ - Noble Steed - very creative - One of My Favorites

GCF35A - To Bind Up The Nation's Wound's - virtual

GCQN39 - I Like Mine With Lettuce and Tomato... - micro

GCA24E - 90th PA Infantry - virtual

GCKA5M - Unsettled Spirit - virtual

GC400F - Phoca Vitulina - virtual

GCJAQH - Love Letter - micro

GCHQF6 - Blue Light Special - Very Creative - One of My Favorites

Out of the over 50 caches that we have found these are the only ones that if I were by myself and Chip was not with me, I could get. I realize that this sport was mainly designed for caches to be hidden in parks and places that are not usually handcapped friendly but it is nice to be able to get a few caches on my own and feel a sense of accomplishment. I think if everyone who hides caches would place at least 1 accessible cache out of every 10 placed then it would open this sport to a much wider range of participants. I plan to post more caches here that I find to be handicapped/wheelchair friendly and I encourage anyone else to do the same no matter where you live so that other "handicachers" can seek out these caches. And just FYI we have a new geonickel coming soon and if you do create an accessible cache that it will fit in then you just might receive one in it. Hopefully one day in the near future it or something like it will turn into a coin and might find it's way into an accessible cache. Here is a pic:

Thank you

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee41/No...a/geonickle.jpg

One of my caches (southern New Hampshire) is wheelchair accessible, and for years has had the Handicaching link. The cache has always had a terrain rating of 1, and if you read the few Handicaching reviews for the cache, it seems to be an appropriate terrain rating.

I suddenly realized when I read your post that for all these years I had neglected to add the 'wheelchair accessible' attribute to the cache page, so I just did it now. Thanks for the reminder!

Nashua Heritage Rail-Trail

My daughter has three (so far) handicaches hidden in and around the Spokane area.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.asp...&submit4=Go

The most neglected attribute of all is the wheelchair one. If you can't wheel to a cache, then it's not a 1 terrain, and if a cache IS wheelchair friendly, PLEASE note that in your attributes! Many able bodied cachers have no idea how important that silly little wheelchair symbol really is to some folks. Even though Debbie is not wheelchair bound, she has a very tough time with terrain. We rely heavily on that attribute to let us know which caches she can get to.

I really would like to see the handicaching site list the caches they have rated listed by state instead of having to type in the navi #.

We could do a LOT more with the handicaching site if we were able to access the lat/lng for each cache. For example local search, state search, etc. Unfortunately this isn't possible...

Andy

Handicaching.com

I had this posted under an old post but thought I would create a new post for it so that other cachers with disabilities might see it.

I have been checking out the handicaching site but I was unable to find any local caches that were "handicapped/wheelchair accessible". At least the ones I've bookmarked to do at a future date. I really would like to see the handicaching site list the caches they have rated listed by state instead of having to type in the navi #. If anyone knows of any wheelchair accessible caches in Hampton Road Va area or anywhere for that matter please put them in this post. I know that when I look at a cache the first thing I look for is the little handicapped symbol on the cache page but sometimes even when it does have that symbol it still is not what I consider wheelchair accessible because there is a curb to get to an LPC or some other obstacle in the way of a cache. The one's that I have found that I liked are:

GCX5VQ - Noble Steed - very creative - One of My Favorites

GCF35A - To Bind Up The Nation's Wound's - virtual

GCQN39 - I Like Mine With Lettuce and Tomato... - micro

GCA24E - 90th PA Infantry - virtual

GCKA5M - Unsettled Spirit - virtual

GC400F - Phoca Vitulina - virtual

GCJAQH - Love Letter - micro

GCHQF6 - Blue Light Special - Very Creative - One of My Favorites

Out of the over 50 caches that we have found these are the only ones that if I were by myself and Chip was not with me, I could get. I realize that this sport was mainly designed for caches to be hidden in parks and places that are not usually handcapped friendly but it is nice to be able to get a few caches on my own and feel a sense of accomplishment. I think if everyone who hides caches would place at least 1 accessible cache out of every 10 placed then it would open this sport to a much wider range of participants. I plan to post more caches here that I find to be handicapped/wheelchair friendly and I encourage anyone else to do the same no matter where you live so that other "handicachers" can seek out these caches. And just FYI we have a new geonickel coming soon and if you do create an accessible cache that it will fit in then you just might receive one in it. Hopefully one day in the near future it or something like it will turn into a coin and might find it's way into an accessible cache. Here is a pic:

Thank you

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee41/No...a/geonickle.jpg

Here are a few more accessible caches I liked.

GC143FD - HR Alphabet Soup: I is for Icey Bitsy Spider - This one I probably could have gotten with reachers but Chip got it for us.

GCH51T - Smithfield's Other Claim To Fame - Virtual

GCDDBA - Monitor Merrimac Battle Overlook - virtual

GCE105 - A Journey Within - virtual

GCKGWH - Between a rock and a hard place - I was able to bend down and get this one but someone with less mobility than me may need reachers.

We now have our new geonickels that say on the back "Create and accessible cache today" and when we come across an accessible cache we will be placing one in it.

Many more caches would be accessible if you had one of these. Of course that still leaves the problem of reaching, retrieving, replacing, the cache. One of the hardest things about making a cache "accessible" is the fact that all disabilities are different.

My son has considered getting one but not for geocaching. Natually, they aren't cheap but they can provide the ability to travel on the beach, in the snow, camping, in muddy conditions, etc.

TankChair.jpg

... If you can't wheel to a cache, then it's not a 1 terrain, ...
This is not, exactly true. Level one terrain is defined as 'Handicapped accessible. (Terrain is likely to be paved, is relatively flat, and less than a 1/2 mile hike is required.)' You will note that there is a definitional difference between 'wheelchair accessible' and 'handicapped accessible'.
... If you can't wheel to a cache, then it's not a 1 terrain, ...
This is not, exactly true. Level one terrain is defined as 'Handicapped accessible. (Terrain is likely to be paved, is relatively flat, and less than a 1/2 mile hike is required.)' You will note that there is a definitional difference between 'wheelchair accessible' and 'handicapped accessible'.

Thank you, you are absolutely right. I have seen many caches that say they are accessible but are not for wheelchair users. Many are the type that are on a very small medium that has a tree (like in a shopping center parking lot). The tree is in the center of the raised medium in the tree with a little grass. These are not wheelchair accessible because they do not have a ramp to get on top of the medium to get the cache that may be in a tree.

I placed Curt's Cache specifically so that the cache itself could be reached from a wheelchair without leaving the sidewalk. The cache is still challenging enough that a lot of cachers spend a while before they find it. I think wheeled cachers would actually find it quicker because they aren't trying to outthink me. :P

That looks like it would be a very good accessible cache. Thanks for keeping us wheelchair users in mind. I see you are in the service? I wish you and all you fellow servicemen and women all the best and thank you for helping to keep our country safe. Take care of yourself:)

Many more caches would be accessible if you had one of these. Of course that still leaves the problem of reaching, retrieving, replacing, the cache. One of the hardest things about making a cache "accessible" is the fact that all disabilities are different.

My son has considered getting one but not for geocaching. Natually, they aren't cheap but they can provide the ability to travel on the beach, in the snow, camping, in muddy conditions, etc.

TankChair.jpg

My son thinks these things are so cool. He keeps telling me I gotta get one. :P

I placed Curt's Cache specifically so that the cache itself could be reached from a wheelchair without leaving the sidewalk. The cache is still challenging enough that a lot of cachers spend a while before they find it. I think wheeled cachers would actually find it quicker because they aren't trying to outthink me. :P

I liked that cache and would certainly have appreciated it if I were wheeling.

Huh. I just realized that I neglected to log my find on that one, Torry's 'Southside Times', and 'Lean on Me' in Pisa.

I wonder how many others I've missed?

Sadly, there are some who think those with disabilities have no place in geocaching. Part of a diatribe about 'lame micros' in our local forums:

The proliferation of BAD micro caches, if not curtailed, has the potential to destroy caching from the inside. The founders of geocaching would likely never speak out on this subject. They have a vested interest in seeing more and more people geocaching. Hey, lets promote those premium memberships. Some of this lies at the core of the micro problem. Geocaching was NEVER intended to be a game or sport to be played at lunch hour in polished Florsheim shoes. Geocaching is not for everyone. Geocaching should not be twisted from its original intentions just so all can play. Not all are supposed to be geocachers. This is a sport not a democracy or a charity. But, hey, I do realize it IS a business for some. The Americans with disabilities act has no place in geothinking. The very thought of the need to deem a cache wheelchair accessible is to some extent laughable. I want to play major league baseball. Too bad. I am never to be a major league baseball player. Too short, too slow, too poor eyesight. Sorry. I do not expect MLB to change the rules so I can play… then it is not MLB anymore… it is just the senior league at the park district… and even then… if you do not make the cut, you do not get to play. Stop whining. Go do something else. Go play video games.

:)