Autorouting with Garmin

JPeake1978

I'm going to be buying a new GPSr and have been comparing the Vista HCX and GPSMap60CSx. I'll be using them for geocaching about half the time and on the road the other half. My question is, is the autorouting on the fly the same in both units, or does one unit have more processing power, i.e. faster autoroute time. Any help/advice is appreciated.

I have the 60csx, so I a can't speak for the other. When I go past a turn and it has to recalculate, it is only a matter of 1 or 2 seconds before it updates.

Same thing for the Vista HCx, so it looks like your decision isn't any easier. I can't speak for the 60csx...

If not mistaken, the HCx doesn't beep like the 60CSx

I have the 60csx, so I a can't speak for the other. When I go past a turn and it has to recalculate, it is only a matter of 1 or 2 seconds before it updates.

Same thing for the Vista HCx, so it looks like your decision isn't any easier. I can't speak for the 60csx...

If not mistaken, the HCx doesn't beep like the 60CSx

I did't know that. The beeping is handy when you are driving!
I did't know that. The beeping is handy when you are driving!

It sure is...that, the smaller display, Odometer, and WAAS issues are the reasons why I am not getting the Vista HCX.

It does beep when navigating (might not be as loud, though). The WAAS issue was fixed with the last firmware update, and the odometer issue looks to be fixed with today's firmware update. So, you're left with the smaller display issue, but the drastic difference in backlight brightness might tilt that one toward the Vista HCx despite being physically smaller.

If you are going to use the unit for car navigation 50% of the time, your choice is simple. The tiny screen and side-mounted buttons on the Vista make it backpacker friendly, but a poor choice for driving. Even the 60CSx with the slightly larger screen and front-mounted buttons is far from ideal. I get by with my 60CSx in the car, but it pales in comparison to the car-specific navigators.

If you are going to use the unit for car navigation 50% of the time, your choice is simple. The tiny screen and side-mounted buttons on the Vista make it backpacker friendly, but a poor choice for driving. Even the 60CSx with the slightly larger screen and front-mounted buttons is far from ideal. I get by with my 60CSx in the car, but it pales in comparison to the car-specific navigators.

Totally agree. That's why the Nuvi 7xx is on my Xmas wish list for next year. By then it will be on clearance. Just need something to get by with a larger screen then the old B&W Etrex Legend that I use now.

It does beep when navigating (might not be as loud, though). The WAAS issue was fixed with the last firmware update, and the odometer issue looks to be fixed with today's firmware update. So, you're left with the smaller display issue, but the drastic difference in backlight brightness might tilt that one toward the Vista HCx despite being physically smaller.

I read somewhere here that you can't hear it beep. The odometer tracking issue has been improved but from the update it doesn't look like it is totally fixed as Garmin wrote that they "Changed odometer calculation to more closely match track log distance. " But, unless I am missing something, it doesn't match the track log exactly.