Am I a selfish Geocacher?

kwikstix

I have recently been struggling a little bit with an (admittedly minor) item on my conscience. There have been three new caches hidden in my area in the last week, and I have been the FTF on each one. While I revel in the fact that I was the first one to find them, I wonder if my recent stint of quick finds (two of which were within 30 minutes of the cache being published) might be perceived with annoyance by my fellow local cachers. Don't get me wrong - I'm not particularly worried about whether or not people "like" me, but I do not want to dampen the fun of my fellow cachers.

Along the same lines, I'm interested in hearing some thoughts about taking trackables versus leaving them for other cachers. Of course, I understand that trackables should only be taken if the cacher can help it achieve it's mission, or if there is no mission stated. Assuming one of these is true, what are your opinions regarding whether to take multiple trackables, particularly in the following two situations:

1) there are multiple trackables in a single cache

2) several caches in the same area, all (or most) of which have at least one trackable

In either of these situations: take them all, or leave some for the next finder? In the past, I have generally taken them all, but was wondering if that is somewhat selfish, or just part of the hobby.

Areas generally get a few FTF hounds that always seem to be the ones watching for new caches and pouncing on them. That's part of the game. If you enjoy trying to scoop in as a first finder, more power to you. I wouldn't be concerned about anything there...if you have the time and want to grab them right when they're published, you have as much right as anyone else out there.

As far as trackables, I personally try not to take all of them out of a cache or grab every one in an area if there are several where I'm caching that day. If I knew I could help every one of them on a specific mission, I might pick them up. Otherwise, I figure I might pick up some of them, but give others a chance to snag some too.

However, the trackables don't have a limit and there's nothing "wrong" with you taking each and every one of them. While I wouldn't grab all of them, I'd never look twice at a cacher who did.

As one of 2 FTF hounds in my area I don't see a problem with being FTF. It's the luck of the draw you win some you lose some it's all part of the game.

With trackables however I like to trade one for one if there are a bunch in a cache "Discover" them all but take one then others have a chance to see them the only time I'll take a trackable without a trade is if it's been sitting there for more than a couple weeks then I'll pick it up and move it.

Yes, you are annoying other cachers by being FTF for three in a row. But you shouldn't let that bother you. :laughing: If you start grabbing every FTF for weeks on end, well, then maybe you should back off and let others have a go... especially if FTF "prizes" are common in your area.

If you can help trackables achieve goals, then grab all you want. If all the TB's in a cache are headed north, then feel free to grab all of them and take them north. But please do NOT grab all the TB's in the area just to collect them for bringing to events or for stashing in your own personal TB Hotel/Prison.

I only grab a trackable when I can help it with a specific goal, such as moving it closer to a goal cache or helping a "racer" build up miles. Otherwise I ignore them, except occasionally "Discovering" a coin with an unique icon.

Edited by J-Way

I don't see a problem with being FTF on lots of caches. That's part of the game. It makes it more fun if you have some competition.

As far as trackables, I say move all you want. Just move them in a timely manor. Don't hold them for weeks or months. Everybody likes to see their trackables move.

Caches are meant to be found. Travel bugs are meant to be moved.

I'm not real clear on the problem.

Fair share? Nah. Anyone who has a problem with you finding the cache before they do, or moving move than one bug simply needs to go caching more. There's enough out there for those willing to make the effort.

With something like 44 FTF's out of 245 caches I've done, I may be considered a FTF Hound . . . :laughing: To the best of my knowledge, nobody harbors ill will toward me over it and there's still friendly competition in our area for FTF's. Someone's going to get it, whether it's me or not. What usually happens when I'm NOT FTF are comments in logs about me not getting there first. :laughing:

Trackables . . . I like the idea. I like to move them on. However, what usually happens is that I stick it in my geocaching backpack and forget about if for a while! Makes me not like trackables! :laughing:

JohnTee

No problem being the FTF on a cache, it just means you are beating the other FTF hounds in your area. If they want it, they will have to be faster, that is part of the game.

I usually like to leave trackables for other cachers to enjoy as well as take some. My general rule is to take no more that 50% of any trackables, even if I can help others as well.

I have recently been struggling a little bit with an (admittedly minor) item on my conscience.

I think you're fine.

Either folks will take you on the challenge or not. Some will whine, but I see that as they just don't want, or know how, to put in the effort to be first.

As for the trackables, they're meant to move. Move'em. If'n you want, that is. :laughing:

If you can be FTF, then, by all means, DO IT!

Just don't brag about it...ie: 'This was FTF #xxx for me!' You could post that on your profile page and I can look if I'm interested.

Coins and TBs are a bit trickier, but if there's a coin I have never seen in a cache, you can bet I'll at least get the number...probably I'll grab it and move it. Obviously, sometimes you won't know the mission until you get it home.

Yes, you are annoying other cachers by being FTF for three in a row. But you shouldn't let that bother you. :laughing: If you start grabbing every FTF for weeks on end, well, then maybe you should back off and let others have a go... especially if FTF "prizes" are common in your area.

Nope. If someone gets annoyed then it's their problem. They need to work for it like everyone else if they want to be first. I also see this from another point of view. Yes it is a game but it does make some of us feel good when we get a FTF. That feeling would quickly disappear if we found out that someone "sat back and gave it to us". :laughing:

If you can help trackables achieve goals, then grab all you want. If all the TB's in a cache are headed north, then feel free to grab all of them and take them north. But please do NOT grab all the TB's in the area just to collect them for bringing to events or for stashing in your own personal TB Hotel/Prison.

Agreed!

I guess I'll be the contrarian and say it does get tiring to see the same few cachers get all of the FTFs. It would be nice if they would step aside periodically and let someone new get one. There's nothing I like better than seeing a newbie get their FTF, but it almost never happens.

Edit to add that the logging style of some FTF "hounds" is really poor and leaves a bad taste to many. Nothing but "FTF" in all caps with tons of smilies and a "TFTC" no matter how great the cache is irritating. Maybe they should read this topic: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=172314

Edited by 9Key

We have a few FTF hounds here, and I use it as an advantage to me. If they were able to find it the same day it was published in the dark, then I should be able to find it just fine. I have yet to be the FTF, but then I am not trying to be one. As for the travel bugs, I would not take all of them, but leave some for the next person in a new cache. If its an older cache that has set for a while with no finds, then yeah I would take them all to move them along.

If someone beats me to a FTF then well done them in my opinion. There was only one cache i didn't get an FTF on that i got slightly annoyed about but i wont bore you with the details. Ill look for a cache, and if im FTF, great. If im not, too bad, doesn't matter too much anyway. I would say carry on getting FTFs, if fellow cachers get annoyed well they should of been on the scene first and not let you get the opportunity!

Edited by Lotho

Knowing that there are serious FTF hounds in the area seem to me to be a challenge to the person placing the cache. I'm just now getting into hiding (the first one is waiting to be published). It's all part of the game. It's not selfish to like being FTF, it's just another facet of the game.

The OP is good at being FTF. As a fledgling cache placer, I see it as part of the game to make it a little tough for the local FTF hounds to BE the FTF - time it so the cache goes live mid-week, at 2am, in the middle of winter in a blizzard, whatever.

Just my 2 cents, but having a known FTF addict in the area adds to the fun of the hide.