Displaying your GeoCoins

SCYoli

I hope I am approaching this question the right way. I wanted to know how you display/store your geocoins. Or is there a special book/binder/coin keeper that is available for purchase? I've just recently within the last month or three have really gotten in to geocoins and have built my collection up to 10 coins. <_< (I know now much but a start). I want to be able to take them with me to events. What's the easiest/best way to do so. Thanks all! :huh:

We have ours in binders. We went to a coin / card collectible store to buy the plastic coin pages and we bought some card board. Unfortunately around here there are no cardboards big enough for 1.75" coins or larger. So we keep those in the plastic sleeves they come in.

Some people buy a flat type of cork board and cut out the exact shape of the coin which seems to hold it in the plastic better. But we don't ave the patience or time to do that we all our coins. Just have to be careful that the coins don't fall out.

When we go to events we usually just take one binder with us and put coins we think are interesting to show others or that others may not have seen yet. Keeps it much lighter to carry around that way too. It's amazing how heavy they can get in binders. Plus it is easier to keep track of them too.

For our daughter she has a photo album that us smaller than the binders. We got her one that has space to right notes on the sides. Beside each of her sig items, wooden nickels and coins there is a note of who gave it to her /traded it to her, etc. That way when she is much bigger she can look back at it all. Nice keepsake. Unfortunately she has accumulated lots of coins and sig items so her photo album doesn't close properly now. LOL Time to start a new one.

I too use binders specificly ones with a zipper so if you do travel you are less enept to loose a coin from sliding out and plastic coin pages, 2.5in x 2.5in, For coins that are 1.5in card board coin folds with a 44mm window will do nicely. I had the same trouble as PengoFamily, in referance to coins that are 1.75in. after hunting high and low I found a source that had stock of 2.5in folds with a 50mm window (Large Crown Holders) these will fit 1.75in coins. I just placed a order for them they are inbound here is a link where you may attain them::

http://collectors-outpost.com/product/E3030

As well this shop does carry the coin pages for the binders, there are differant grades of these pages look for the Heavy Duty pages as they are much more sturdy. Also match the cardboard folds to match the coin pages you buy as they come in differant sizes as well IE: 2X2, 2.5X 2.5 ETC

EDIT ADD link to HD Pages for 2.5in coin folds::

http://collectors-outpost.com/product/K4012

2X2 Holders / pages are more fitting for micro coins alike.

Good luck with your growing collection, Glenn

Edited by glennk721

After looking at several options (some way more expensive that others), I opted for the following:

1. Dollar-bill sleaves from a local coin shop

2. 2mm craft foam, black, from a local craft store (I got two types, plain, and with adhesive backing)

3. Double-stick gummy tape (onion-skin type)

4. Exacto knife

1: I made my measurements on the sleaves, and cut the foam to match with a paper shearer (Huge asset and time-saver!)

2: Stick one piece of foam w/adhesive to another plain piece. (Lamination = strength)

3: Arrange coins and one-at-the-time, use exacto knife to cut around coin

4: Put double-stick tape on the top of both sides of foam, trim where needed, leave the backing in place until completely inserted into sleave (Don't forget your coins!)

5: Make final coin alignment, and femove backing and press sleaves down onto foam.

It was much cheaper, and looks pretty darned good, if I do say so.

The lamination of the foam plus the sealing with the double-stick tape really strengthens the pages, and keeps the coins from shifting.

Now, to do my labels!

DSC00982.jpg

DSC00983.jpg

I use 9-slot baseball card pages. To hold each coin in it place, I use 6mm craft foam cut to specs. It works very well.

coinalbum1.jpg

For the rather large Initial Point geocoin, I had to go a different route. I bought one of those gift card tins from Wal-Mart, cut one level of 6mm foam as a backing, then cut another one with the coin cutout on it. I could finally display my IP coins! :laughing:

HPIM2374.jpg

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

I found a source that had stock of 2.5in folds with a 50mm window (Large Crown Holders) these will fit 1.75in coins. I just placed a order for them they are inbound here is a link where you may attain them::

Thanks for the links, Glenn, to the cardboard folds. :P The ones with 50mm (2in) windows are hard to come by and I'm hoping the 44mm windows will work for 1.75in coins. :P

I found a source that had stock of 2.5in folds with a 50mm window (Large Crown Holders) these will fit 1.75in coins. I just placed a order for them they are inbound here is a link where you may attain them::

Thanks for the links, Glenn, to the cardboard folds. :P The ones with 50mm (2in) windows are hard to come by and I'm hoping the 44mm windows will work for 1.75in coins. :P

Your welcome, you actualy need the 50MM windows for the 1.75in coins though, (Large Crown Holders) If you placed a order you should have recieved contact info to change it . Glenn

Edited by glennk721

I store my coins in a wooden box. I don't have that much coins yet, so that works, but it won't work much longer <_<

And I have just made a simple thing where I display some of them at my window board next to my desktop, so that I can look at them while I am working (or while I am having a short break from work):

coin_display.jpg

(The light shines through the GW5 sunburst when it sits on the window, I have just taken it away from the window as it was nearly impossible to take a nice picture of it at the window)

I store my coins in a wooden box. I don't have that much coins yet, so that works, but it won't work much longer :(

And I have just made a simple thing where I display some of them at my window board next to my desktop, so that I can look at them while I am working (or while I am having a short break from work):

--snip--

(The light shines through the GW5 sunburst when it sits on the window, I have just taken it away from the window as it was nearly impossible to take a nice picture of it at the window)

Beautiful indeed!

Very nice. You have pretty much the same coin collection as I do. I have my Sunburst hanging from my rearview mirror in my truck though. :( Thanks for sharing! I like the way the turtles are mounted.

I too use binders specificly ones with a zipper so if you do travel you are less enept to loose a coin from sliding out and plastic coin pages, 2.5in x 2.5in, For coins that are 1.5in card board coin folds with a 44mm window will do nicely. I had the same trouble as PengoFamily, in referance to coins that are 1.75in. after hunting high and low I found a source that had stock of 2.5in folds with a 50mm window (Large Crown Holders) these will fit 1.75in coins. I just placed a order for them they are inbound here is a link where you may attain them::

As well this shop does carry the coin pages for the binders, there are differant grades of these pages look for the Heavy Duty pages as they are much more sturdy. Also match the cardboard folds to match the coin pages you buy as they come in differant sizes as well IE: 2X2, 2.5X 2.5 ETC

EDIT ADD link to HD Pages for 2.5in coin folds::

2X2 Holders / pages are more fitting for micro coins alike.

Good luck with your growing collection, Glenn

I need to post up ASAP about this company and links, My order has yet to ship, it shows a status of (paid-recient) But no sign of my product shipping !! I feel terrable abut posting these links now as I blindly ordered in good faith. PLEASE don't place any orders untill I can post that mine is recieved. I totaly feel cruddy about even posting these links now as they are NOT responding to my emails and the phone simply rings with no answer. I did use paypal to order so hopfuly they will cover me for a non-delivery of product. Once again I am truly sorry if this causes anyone else grief ! And also most certinaly I hope I don't get ripped off ! :D:D

Glenn