Garmin Map of Washington?

billy robson

My wife is taking a course in Seattle in October and would like to do some caches while she is there. Is it possible to purchase a Garmin map for just Washington. As we are in Canada it isn't really worth us purchasing the one for all of the US.

Thanks, Billy

Take a look at mapcenter (http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/) and see if there are any free maps of Washington that are interesting to you. The US Census TIGER data can be made into some passable street maps.

An exciting new development with the Open Street Map project: They're in the process of importing all the TIGER data into their database. Washington and Oregon are completely done, and the rest of the country is coming along (it's a long process--they project about 6 months to finish). There is a script to convert the OSM data to a Garmin map (I'm working on making it support auto-routing).

My wife is taking a course in Seattle in October and would like to do some caches while she is there. Is it possible to purchase a Garmin map for just Washington. As we are in Canada it isn't really worth us purchasing the one for all of the US.

Thanks, Billy

If you are getting City Maps, City Nav and Metroguide are both North America (US and Canada) so you would be getting Canada maps as well.

Yes she would need a map of downtown, from the look of what they have, none are downtown. Thanks though.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Yeah, I made a map of King county WA for you.

you can download it here:

http://www.vttrader.com/gpsstuff/44346323.img

It's from the TIGER data. I'm not sure how much you know about custom maps or what GPSr you have, so you might need help uploading it. If your unit supports it, the easiest way I have found is to use either SendMap20 or MapSetToolkit. MapSetToolKit is probably best because it installs it into MapSource also.

Let me know if you need help.

VT

I added a couple of screenshots of the maps as they appear when loaded into MapSource. One is zoomed in, the other zoomed out somewhat.

http://www.vttrader.com/gpsstuff/

After putting this map up, I figured what the heck, might as well make the other maps I've made available just in case anyone is interested. So far, the others are only in Vermont.

Vermont maps include:

A few different topo's with different contours (200', 20', 10') for part of the state, and I'm working on the whole state

A very nice hydrography map (lakes, streams etc...even has my small 70' diameter pond) of the whole state.

A map of various VT tourism trails (Long Trail, snowmobil trails, bike paths, etc) for the whole state.

A map of roads from Enhanced 911 database of the whole state (has a lot of small roads that aren't included in City Navigator or TIGER data).

A searchable map of 10000+ VT POIs

A TIGER map of the whole state (similar to the map of Seattle).

Even a few routable maps based on the 911 and TIGER data (although, even after making them I still bought City Navigator). I learned in the process, a good routable map is EXTREMELY time consuming to do it right. As a result, these do auto-routing, but they might try to put you on the interstate in the wrong lane or where there aren't any exits . :laughing: They do work OK though for some stuff, and they're free.

I'll post to a new topic a link when I get them up.

I posted the new maps under this topic http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=174126

VT

Edited by VTtrader

Thanks so much VT - and yes I need help to upload it - I have the Garmin 60CX.

Thanks again!

Billy

Yes she would need a map of downtown, from the look of what they have, none are downtown. Thanks though.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Yeah, I made a map of King county WA for you.

you can download it here:

http://www.vttrader.com/gpsstuff/44346323.img

It's from the TIGER data. I'm not sure how much you know about custom maps or what GPSr you have, so you might need help uploading it. If your unit supports it, the easiest way I have found is to use either SendMap20 or MapSetToolkit. MapSetToolKit is probably best because it installs it into MapSource also.

Let me know if you need help.

VT

No problem Billy.

I have a 60CSx, I assume the process is the same, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

IMO, the easiest way to install the maps is to use MapSetToolKit (MSTK), This makes it very easy to install the maps into MapSource, and MapSource makes it pretty easy to install them to your GPSr. To use MSTK you will also need to download cGPSmapper. Cypherman1 has a good tutorial on his website on how to use MSTK after you download it, so I would refer you to that.

If you need more guidance than that, let me know.

VT