Memories

Guns&Hoses

Hey gang!

What are people doing to keep track of the cache's they've visited? With our first 100 caches, we kept copies of the print-offs from the website. (printer friendly) This worked well but uses a ton of paper, tons of ink and quite frankly I'm running out of room to keep them. Besides, it's not very geo friendly!!!! I've considered taking a photo at each of the GZ's but I didn't at my first 100 and it's not always appropriate to be flashing a camera. So besides GCSAK, or our profiles here, what are people doing to save some memories or keep stats to share with friends in years to come?? I need some good ideas here!!

Thanks for the help or insight!!

Guns&Hoses

Hey gang!

What are people doing to keep track of the cache's they've visited? With our first 100 caches, we kept copies of the print-offs from the website. (printer friendly) This worked well but uses a ton of paper, tons of ink and quite frankly I'm running out of room to keep them. Besides, it's not very geo friendly!!!! I've considered taking a photo at each of the GZ's but I didn't at my first 100 and it's not always appropriate to be flashing a camera. So besides GCSAK, or our profiles here, what are people doing to save some memories or keep stats to share with friends in years to come?? I need some good ideas here!!

Guns&Hoses

I log them as Finds. The system keeps track of them for me. No need to make it complicated.

I log my find and notes about it in Cachemate on my Palm. Then I mark my Finds in GSAK. Those get moved from my Default database to the "Found" database. I write online logs that hopefully have enough detail that I'll remember the cache if I look back at that log two years from now. I also keep a Geocaching Blog where I can tell the story of my day and exhibit the photographs I took during my adventures. <_<

I started out printing all the caches we wanted to do but what I do now is copy the title, coordinates and any info about the cache I need to know and paste it onto a separate paper in my print shop program and then print it out. I can get about 8 to 10 caches on one page and then I cross them out and date it on the sheet when we find it.

I keep a bookmark list of my found caches (each list contains 500 caches).

As I log the find I take a copy of my log using Ctl C.

After logging I create a bookmark from the cache page and change the title of the bookmark to "nnn - cache name - date" where nnn is the count of my finds. This ensures that they will appear in the bookmark list in order of my finds. I then paste my log into the details of the bookmark.

I also add additional notes that I wouldn't put into the log. (cache details, hide details)

Works for me..

Edited by Crew 153

Hey gang!

Guns&Hoses

I log them as Finds. The system keeps track of them for me. No need to make it complicated.

This is what I do. I also try to upload photos to help with the memories!

I do what many people have written here already:

-- Write good online logs that tell the story (sans spoilers) so I can always look back and remember the details.

-- Track all of my finds using the "My Finds" Pockey Query, keep them in a separate GSAK database and run my stats against them.

-- Take lots of pictures and upload them with my log when appropriate.

-- I keep a bookmark list of the caches I have done that stood out above the rest for one reason or another. Either I had a lot of fun getting there, enjoyed the hunt or the cache was just something a little different.

I pay geocaching.com a princely sum every year to do that for me. They thus far have managed to do a bang up job for me. They have done such a wonderful job that I'd be willing to pay them a fair amount more if they needed me to. :laughing::laughing:B)

P.S.

You can't take it with you, trust me. :laughing:

Edited by Team Cotati

Hey gang!

Guns&Hoses

Yep, using the website is the best way to keep track. I load photos to my logs and often revisit my logs

to relive the experience. I tend to write pretty detailed logs if the cache hunt warrants it, so there are

plenty of good memorys among them.