Is it silly to use a car GPS for geocaching?

martygng

http://www.woot.com

Garmin Nuvi 200 GPS for $199.99

I would like a car GPS and a handheld, but I'm wondering if this might suffice for both. They're almost the same exact size - see dimensions vs. an eTrex below:

WxHxD: 3.8 × 2.8 x 0.8 Nuvi 200

WxHxD: 4.4 x 2.0 x 1.2 Garmin eTrex

Anyone out there use a car GPS for geocaching? I should also point out that this has a rechargeable battery, so no AA batteries would be required. Thanks!

We have a Garmin nuvi 350 and we use it for caching all the time. Granted we don't go caching a whole lot but it works great for us. It's kind of like an all in one. I like putting in in the driving mode to get to the area and then putting it into the pedestrian mode to find the cache. We do keep an older regular gps in the car as a back up but we had not had to use it since we got this new one a few months ago. I have not dowloaded anything into it though, I usually input manually.

http://www.woot.com

Garmin Nuvi 200 GPS for $199.99

I would like a car GPS and a handheld, but I'm wondering if this might suffice for both. They're almost the same exact size - see dimensions vs. an eTrex below:

WxHxD: 3.8 × 2.8 x 0.8 Nuvi 200

WxHxD: 4.4 x 2.0 x 1.2 Garmin eTrex

Anyone out there use a car GPS for geocaching? I should also point out that this has a rechargeable battery, so no AA batteries would be required. Thanks!

I suppose it depends on what kind of geocaching you plan to do. Not being waterproof and not having the ability to replace batteries in the field would be a deal-killer for me.

I suppose it depends on what kind of geocaching you plan to do. Not being waterproof and not having the ability to replace batteries in the field would be a deal-killer for me.

I agree. I hope a future generation of receivers will combine the form factor of the NUVI with those capabilities and include other standard features of our handhelds today (tracks, routes or via points, etc.)

I, too, have the Nuvi 200 and love it to bits. But, I don't use in outside the car. I agree with above poster that it's not waterproof and it's internal battery life is limited. Also, any electronic with a touch screen isn't very durable.

Can it be used outside of the car? Yes. Is it silly? Not if that's what you're happy doing. Would I do it? No. If my 60CSX gets caught in a rainstorm I don't have to worry. If water would get inside it and mess it up, Garmin will take care of it. (This happened to someone I know and Garmin took care of it.) If any of this happens to my Nuvi, Garmin is going to say "Sorry!" If I fall down a ravine (which has happened), the Nuvi is a lot more fragile than a handheld.