What makes a good cache?

Von-Horst

Hi all.

We're figuring that it is about time we placed a cache or two so we were wondering;

1) what do you think makes a good cache?

2) what don't you like in a cache?

We've found that we like caches that are either in an unusual location or that teach you about the area (such as the Caerphilly Collection series or the Wye Vallley Ghost Train cache).

We don't really like caches that don't provide at least some advice on where to park or that seem to have been placed more at less randomly.

Any advice that you can provide on some dos and donts would be great.

Helen & Mike

Hi all.

Helen & Mike

1) I prefer well thought out caches, a little quirkiness is ideal, great views or something I would not otherwise visit is appreciated.

A well set out cache page appeals use HTML (don't bother with an editor, if you use GSAK compose your page by editing the Long Description use the quick and dirty guide for HTML for your cache pages).

I don't like hints that are totally ambiguous i.e. in an ivy covered tree when there are hundreds to choose from (remember the accuracy radius of the GPS).

I move trackables rather than doing swaps so like to see a nice coin or TB in the cache.

Like you I appreciate Parking advice, height restriction info is useful.

Personally I like Parking as an additional way point, additional waypoints for other aspects are useful but obviously reduces amount of caches you can download to your GPSr and is difficult to calculate how many children will be exported from GSAK if you use such a program. but think overall I prefer the additional waypoints to save editing on a cache trip.

2) I personally don't like micros, I hate urban micros even more, and I hate 8 stage multi urban micros extremely.

I do attempt micros and once again if if is something out of the ordinary I greatly enjoy it.

Colin

Hi all.

We're figuring that it is about time we placed a cache or two so we were wondering;

We've found that we like caches that are either in an unusual location or that teach you about the area (such as the Caerphilly Collection series or the Wye Vallley Ghost Train cache).

We don't really like caches that don't provide at least some advice on where to park or that seem to have been placed more at less randomly.

Any advice that you can provide on some dos and donts would be great.

Helen & Mike

First of all you need a decent location - that may suggest a potential type of cacher. As you can't please everyone (!) I reckon the best way to plan a cache is work out something that would attract you. Another idea is to look back at the caches you have done and work out which ones were the most fun and why.

For example, do you enjoy puzzles, or just a good walk? Is there something of interest locally that you want to show, or a challenge you want to set?

Some types of caches will exclude some cachers, and encourage others. Personally I leave long multi-stage caches until the summer to be done, say, on a pleasant morning walk. In the winter I concentrate on trads and puzzles.

Finally, you can have a bit of fun - use cryptic clues, or have alternative locations that can only be worked out on the spot

At the risk of repeating myself the most important thing is location - find a good one and cachers will beat a path to your hide.

Good luck!

- find a good one and cachers will beat a path to your hide.

Good luck!

AKA- "A Cachers Trail" making it much easier for the later finders who just have to follow it to the hide.

Seriously this can be a problem if relying too much on vegetation for a hide. The other problem is that winter can leave the cache exposed. Conversely a cache that is fine in winter can be completely un-reachable in summer due to the growth of nettles, brambles, triffids etc.

Hi all.

Several factors make a good cache, I think...

First off, a good location. Whilst there are obvious "tourist attractions" you can use, these are often full of Muggles, so some of the best places are slightly more obscure points of interest that you'd miss completely if the cache wasn't there. Also, anywhere where caches are a little thin on the ground are good locations too. I've placed two caches near my home that aren't in particularly amazing places, but fill up a hole in the caching map in my area.

Next...a suitably-sized container that's fit for the location. Micros have their place, but don't hide one in the woods if there's loads of room for a nice big ammo can! Also, try and hide it in a moderately challenging way. Whilst the good old UPS (Un-natural Pile of Sticks) works well, it can be a bit obvious.

What I don't like in a cache...

Calling cards are a pain, because they fly everywhere in the wind, and just get in the way.

I also don't like poorly-maintained caches. When you place one, be willing to be responsible for keeping it in good order. There's one near me where the log book has turned to sludge, and it's been reported repeatedly but nothing has been done about it. Also, keep it well supplied with good swaps. Start it off with some nice stuff, and keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't fill up with rubbish. I quite like themed swaps in caches - I'm thinking of setting one with a literary theme, encouraging people to swap books.

There you go - just my thoughts.

Lee

Can't agree more.

We should all be striving to put out 'good' caches, not just trying to put out numbers. Much as we should all be honest in our logs. TNLNSL when the cache is a soggy pile of papier mache serves no purpose.

The one Primative Person mentioned that has a soggy log and the owner is not bothering about; well mark it as 'needs archiving' and see what happens. If the owner is still active they should take care of it. If they are not, then it gets archived; then someone can clear it away (CITO) and it frees the locale for another new and beter cared for cache.

:laughing:

My personal favourite aspect of a good cache is that you learn something unrelated to caching. (I don't mean via puzzles, personally not a fan at all - but others are so that's fine) I like it when there is some info about the history of the location, or the local flora or fauna, or something unexpected maybe on the cache page, or maybe there's a link to a site, or a physical notice board or museum nearby. So while a cunningly hidden, well stocked ammo box in a beautiful location is great, I like that extra bit of knowledge.

My favourite caches have been ones that have brought me to a surprising location, a different take on a known spot or taught me something.

The contents depend on whether I'm caching alone, where i tend to TNLN / move TBs, or with the family, where the swaps are more 'important'.

I've also really enjoyed simple puzzles (see either of Maxkim's In the pink caches) and trails - there's a fantastic trail based around Cartmel with a whole story interwoven in the trail. I think that has been my favourite cache so far, closely followed by the Woodcraft Alpha/Beta/Gamma series in Shipley (for the sheer deviousness of the hides!)

My least favourites are micros where there could easily be a regular cache, or where the GPS signal is appaling (read micros in woodland!). I'm not entirely against micros - I think they're fine as part of a series as long as they're findable, or where nothing else would go and there's something interesting (kind of like a physical virtual :laughing: )

I'd echo the comment about ambiguous clues. One cache I recall had a clue along the lines of 'In a crack in the rock' on a rather large section of limestone pavement - there's more crack than rock up there! :laughing: A cryptic clue is good if it makes you think a bit, but helps pinpoint the cache once it hits home.

As someone pointed out to me on my (one and only) cache, the clue needs to be short so that people who only decode as a last resort don't have to decode War & Peace! i.e my clue was far too long initially.

A recent example of a good micro is the Haverthwaite round number 6. A really well-hidden micro with a clue that's not obvious, but makes sense once you 'get' it. And its part of a really interesting trail.

Whatever you do, as long as you put a bit of thought into it (which you obviously are!) it'll be a good un!

A cache should be somewhere you would be proud to take a friend. That may be for the final location or the route there.

Something different, like WVGT is not as easy to do as you may think. :P It's still in my top three finds.

We don't like micros (in the countryside), multis with vague clues or pointless stages.

We look forward to hunting out your caches soon,

Pete.

A cache should be somewhere you would be proud to take a friend. That may be for the final location or the route there.

Yes, indeed. Most caches I've been to have been in pretty good places, but on one or two occasions, I've realised that searching for the cache ran the risk of showing up stuff I didn't want to find. I've been out with my children and spotted syringes in the general area of a cache - this has resulted in me giving up immediately.

Whilst you can't help an area degenerating after you've placed a cache in it, do think carefully about where you're putting your cache, especially in urban areas. Scout out the location beforehand, and if there's any signs of antisocial activity, don't expose other cachers to it by drawing them to the area.

Lee

Very good advice above, of course.

Something to add - I always find the SECOND cache in an area to be a bonus, especially if I'm making a special journey to get there.

This has two benefits;

.....................if all goes well it's two smilies instead of one.

....................if all DOESN'T go well - ie one's missing or unavailable - then there's something else to look for (which can save the day when caching with kids :P )

This thread has been very useful as we have just placed our first cache and will be placing more in the area very soon!!

We've included 5 swaps, a travel Bug and a recipe for chocolate banana cake for something to do when you get home!!

It went live on Friday morning and so far 3 people have found it!!! The kids are vey excited about it - almost as much as their Dad!!

Whilst you can't help an area degenerating after you've placed a cache in it, do think carefully about where you're putting your cache, especially in urban areas. Scout out the location beforehand, and if there's any signs of antisocial activity, don't expose other cachers to it by drawing them to the area.

Lee

We went to check out a local point of interest today that we used to frequent regularly as muggles but haven't been there for a couple of years, Mrs D worked nearby years ago and had mentioned wanting to set a cache there for a while, it has excellent views but the area was littered with broken bottles and rubbish, obviously an after dark hive of activity, a real pity because it would have made a great cache location but there's no way we were going to set one there. This seems to be a growing problem. :o

Lee

We went to check out a local point of interest today that we used to frequent regularly as muggles but haven't been there for a couple of years, Mrs D worked nearby years ago and had mentioned wanting to set a cache there for a while, it has excellent views but the area was littered with broken bottles and rubbish, obviously an after dark hive of activity, a real pity because it would have made a great cache location but there's no way we were going to set one there. This seems to be a growing problem. :)

Well, you can make it an offset cache, emphasising in the listing when is the best time to visit to enjoy the view and actually hide the cache nearby but out of the dodgy area

• A cache that has been thought about prior to placement, not just to make up numbers.
  • A decent amount of background information about the cache site, you know, something educational for the kids
  • Cachers childhood haunts are frequently the BEST caches i've come across.
  • A traditional cache (i/e ammo can/lock click container), micros/nanos are ok for cities, not for the country imho
  • An ingenious cache container of course!

• Micros in the countryside, where they could clearly be proper containers, if you have the land owners permission then all caches in the countryside should be at least *small*, if not, leave the location for someone who can spend pennies extra and produce a worthwhile cache, suitable for trades.
  • Caches situated amongst rubbish, *some* motorway mayhem caches spring to mind here.
  • Did I mention micros? ;-)

EDIT/ I admit I am a Noob, but these are my observations from my 1st 50 odd cache finds. Keep the cache real, peoples hearts you will steal...

Edited by Realmofchaos