Deer Leap.

GC4C81.

Out on a successful 21-find caching day today, most were the forgettable guardrail style hides :D

Later in the day, we came upon a cache called Deer Leap Gas Saver. It took a while to finally locate the parking area, it was down a dirt road disguised as a driveway :) ..

Parked, and located the gas saver without much trouble. Signed the log, traded swag... and headed off for the other cache.

Well,

This is what we found

normal_Thumbprints.jpg

What is that? Funny red dots... Hmmm.... Those look like - thumbprints?! :D

Red thumbprints way out here in the middle of nowhere ;)

Uh, oh... over there - on that rock... what is that?

normal_Handprints.jpg

Umm... those are definately red handprints.

[break]

Now I've seen my fair share of CSI, BONES, Cold Case to recognize this red substance.

I'm thinking blood, and we are definately not terribly comfortable in this secluded location....

[/break]

bloody red handprints... can this get any worse???

I'm gonna be sick... I think I smell something funny

normal_bloody_rock.jpg

:D Yeah... that's a big bloody rock...

oh no... what's that... over there... under those leaves?

normal_WoodBlade.jpg

:laughing:

Then I hear... "Ewww.... what's THAT?!

I turn, and find the source of the smell

normal_Animal_Parts.jpg

There were two huge bones, approx 2.5" to 3" in diameter and about 8" long - so I'm thinking it was some part of a cow leg or something - but that doesn't account for the intestines

Edited by Finders_Jeepers

ummm... I am hoping that this is a case of hunting? My DEC officer told me when I found a deer carcass on my property, that a lot of hunters that are hunting illegally, will gut in the field rather than risk getting caught with a carcass at the deer checkpoint. Im just HOPING that this is the case in your find...

Huh, I've always field dressed my critters in the woods. No sense in dragging guts home, and it makes the carcass lighter. Bigger critters like moose and elk generally get quartered as well because of their size.

Huh, I've always field dressed my critters in the woods. No sense in dragging guts home, and it makes the carcass lighter. Bigger critters like moose and elk generally get quartered as well because of their size.

Lets the carcass start cooling quicker too!

JohnTee

Now, where did I lose my knife . . . :D

Yes I would think most hunters field dress their kills rather than lugging the guts home. Plus you are doing your bit for the other wildlife that eagerly awaits your offal offering. :laughing: Since I usually hunt in my own woods I can revisit the site easily and know the other critters like raccoons, skunks, and opossums, usually have the area nearly spotless in a day or so.

Yes I would think most hunters field dress their kills rather than lugging the guts home. Plus you are doing your bit for the other wildlife that eagerly awaits your offal offering. :laughing: Since I usually hunt in my own woods I can revisit the site easily and know the other critters like raccoons, skunks, and opossums, usually have the area nearly spotless in a day or so.
Exactly! It's been a long time since I've deer hunted but the first thing I did was gut my deer. It was a great way to warm up my frozen fingers. :lol: Anyhow, I needed to do it anyhow. It also reduced the weight I had to drag out of the woods by 20-30 pounds. I have a ton of reasons why hunting is a very worthwhile sport/activity, which would have to be shared in the OT forum..... :P