Geocoins STOLEN

Hike and Seek

Why on Earth would anyone want to steal Geocoins? Or are they all just too lazy to read the: DO NOT KEEP notes I put along with the coins? It was my first attempt at using any trackable items, and the two out of three that I bought have been.....stolen. Ugh. Probably won't be buying coins again - that's for sure. Any suggestions on how to keep coins going from cache to cache? Or is this just a 'hit or miss' situation?

Edited by Hike and Seek

It's hit and miss. I have geocoins that have thousands of miles and have been out for a year or more and I've had a couple that didn't make it out of the first cache they went in (well technically they made it out and into someone's collection).

I include a laminated note with each geocoin explaining that its point is to move from cache to cache for others to enjoy and it should not be kept, so nobody is taking them by mistake.

Edited by briansnat

Also, it's hard to know when to consider them lost. Sometimes after months they pop back up again. My loss rate has been greater that 15% but less than 50%. At $5 a pop or more it can be expensive but just getting a few emails from folks who are genuinly thrilled at finding them is worth the effort and cost. Buy what you can afford and release them with no expectations.

Also, it's hard to know when to consider them lost. Sometimes after months they pop back up again. My loss rate has been greater that 15% but less than 50%. At $5 a pop or more it can be expensive but just getting a few emails from folks who are genuinly thrilled at finding them is worth the effort and cost. Buy what you can afford and release them with no expectations.

$5.00 would not be so painful to lose as with what most are running now adays :D

$5.00 would not be so painful to lose as with what most are running now adays <_<

True, not knowing what all coins are costing these days $5 seemed like a generic enough figure.

I may be naive but I prefer to think that most coins that come up missing are not stolen, but taken by people that don't realize they are supposed to be moved to another cache. I've seen numerous logs in my area that cachers log their finds, and mention taking a coin but don't log the coin itself.

I plan to release my first coins in the upcoming weeks and will attach notes instructing whoever takes the coin to please move it to another cache. Hopefully, this will keep them in circulation.

Now that is just plain wrong...pictures and tracking them...defeats the purpace of tracking "coins".

Myself I have lost a few, hardly ever attach anything to them, welcome emails and comments, but love just giving coins to those who drewl after em when they see the coin in their hands.

I remember being upset after my first loss, then realized, I was the one who placed it into an unknown fate and accepted the crap shoot that it was, whats the difference, someone finds the coin keeps it, or someone trashes the cache and keeps it, same same to me. Keep it into perspective and keep those coins you really like and release those you've got tired of or have extras...but more importantly, just go caching.

Edited by slippery_1

Who knows what happened. Did you try politely emailing the next few finders of the cache/s? It sounds like it was packaged up well. But well packaged or not stuff happens.

It pays to keep an eye on the cache they are dropped in. I got a surprising email notification today about one of mine aptly named 'double trouble'. It was picked up by a newb who didn't log it out properly from the last cache (which I wasn't watching) - then the cache he dropped it into (again he didn't log properly from the coin's point of view) was 'cache nabbed' and another cacher picked it up off the ground! I think the packaging helped - it looked a bit like this one

8e1477a8-5a65-4cb1-9011-71c907e2c265.jpg

and was in a small ziplock. So no excuses for not logging it properly except it was moved quickly and he must have forgot to note the number ( I've been guilty a few times of that myself despite a logbook in which I'm SUPPOSED to note all tb's # and which caches i left them in ) I've thought about supplying my travellers with their own souvenire 'business cards' with the number on them the finder can keep.

We have a little differnt problem here but to me it is in the same category. We have someone or more than one who watch caches and if someone mentions leaving a coin as swag they go and take it. the problem is that there is no log and no swag left for these coins. In this case they usually clear out the cache of pathtags too. To me that is just plain stealing.

We have also had traveling coins go missing. Here they are choosing and only take the rarer ones and sometimes only one out of a chce when there are more than one there.

Edited by LadyBee4T

I may be naive

Yes, I agree.

The number of coins stolen around here has not diminished. We have a local who goes out and takes geocoins from caches, there is no mistaking what is happening, they are being stolen and the person doing it is a petty thief, plain and simple.

I had a Lemon Fresh Dog Geobone that was stolen and the thief had to use snips to cut it off and remove it from the TB to which it was attached, they left the TB in play, they just stole the geobone. The geobone itself was very visible, it was as big as and heavier than the TB. There was a laminated note attached to the TB explaining that the geobone had been attached to allow other geocachers a chance to see one of these unique and beautiful geocoins. It was attached with a nylon tie wrap. Apparently brand new geocachers took the TB, it was the very first geocache they ever visited. They were out with an experienced geocacher yet neither logged the TB online. I wrote emails to both the experienced geocacher and the family and never got a reply from either, the family stopped geocaching after that one day. I was writing them months after the fact because I eventually saw the onsite logbook entry that said "took geobone". The experienced geocacher told me in an email that he never noticed if there was a geobone attached to the TB :laughing: . In addition he said that he just had checked with family he took out and they had trouble logging the TB online, apparently they never asked him how to log it. :laughing: . That geocacher then proceeded to tell me that I caused the problem by attaching an item of perceived value to a TB.

I do not believe that it is new geocachers who do not know how to log TB's or geocoins that make them disappear it is thieves. There is no way to avoid facing the fact that there are geocachers who are simply petty thieves. If you see LF060 then you are looking at a stolen geocoin.

i've had a few go missing and it gets my goat. No reply to emails, although I can see the person is still using the site (last time seen on profile page). Whatever, there are bad people out there, plenty of them, and some of them geocache as well. BOO to you people, you know who you are.

I have also seen plenty of bad logs, where it is never logged out although the log describes them finding and taking it. Grrr.

I personally think there should be a general guideline posted that trackables should be moved on ASAP, and in under 30 days preferably, that missions should be read prior to taking a bug if possible, and that there may be some sort of follow-up if you are the last person known to have grabbed a traveler before it went missing.

I don't know if I will release another one soon, or maybe I will stick with TBs as those seem to have less appeal, I guess I will have to make it a nasty one so people want to get rid of it :laughing:

I personally think there should be a general guideline posted that trackables should be moved on ASAP, and in under 30 days preferably, that missions should be read prior to taking a bug if possible, and that there may be some sort of follow-up if you are the last person known to have grabbed a traveler before it went missing.

I don't know if I will release another one soon, or maybe I will stick with TBs as those seem to have less appeal, I guess I will have to make it a nasty one so people want to get rid of it :laughing:

well I personally do the opposite and just add a line on the note saying not to rush moving it and to feel free to email me if you want to make a trade for the coin. I'd rather the things made the finder happy and not put anyone off moving it or geocoins in general. Bugs or coins - their life in the wild can be pretty brief - i think if you get to a second year it's doing well.

well I personally do the opposite and just add a line on the note saying not to rush moving it and to feel free to email me if you want to make a trade for the coin. I'd rather the things made the finder happy and not put anyone off moving it or geocoins in general. Bugs or coins - their life in the wild can be pretty brief - i think if you get to a second year it's doing well.

The only solution I have found for thievery, and it is bulletproof, is to place geocoins in caches as a new unactivated coins along with a note saying take it or trade for it. In spite of that a lot of people take them and log nothing at all, they don't even log their find! Apparently even placing a note saying that they can take the coin with a big "Congratulations" right on the accompanying card isn't enough for some people. :laughing:

I found a 2005 Texas Geocoin (not trackable, no icon) placed by a Texas geocacher named Jim Brown. There was a small note with the geocoin saying that it was intended to be taken or traded! I traded for that geocoin, kept that note and laminated it and I still have it today. I use a variant of the wording that was on that note when I place new unactivated geocoins in caches.

We have this problem in Idaho....in fact someone went to extent to steal the whole cache....the CacheBug's cache as a matter of fact and they cut the chain and all to get the cache since he/she didn't have the combo to the cache....and then logged the coins as the Idaho Bomb Squad got them which is totally bogus.

I just got a coin sent to me from KeeWee....to travel the US....I am going to pass it from cacher to cacher because of this problem until it leaves Idaho...so it will stay safe. It just makes me angry :laughing:

If they can't obtain them naturally...why should they steal them? I'll never understand :laughing:

The only solution I have found for thievery, and it is bulletproof, is to place geocoins in caches as a new unactivated coins along with a note saying take it or trade for it. In spite of that a lot of people take them and log nothing at all, they don't even log their find!

yep - takes the fun out of it for those watching the cache. prntr1 had a good system which i copied so I stopped dropping untrackables and now i activate the prize coins and adopt it out when its picked up - including those sent to events.

Another idea if you are unfortunate enough to live in an area with an active thief is to post out to a 'clean' area using aushikers world coin register. Not bullet proof by any means but I think you'll at least not be putting all your eggs in one local basket. I think easy CBD caches would have to be the worst - even down under :laughing:

The britannia coin has come pre-drilled - not so nice for me the collector and since it was done at point of sale not obvious it is a traveling only coin.

Perhaps coin designers could please pay a little attention to the spaces on the design and factor in a suitable area for drilling the sign of the traveller - the holey mark :laughing: Needs to be blank enamel/metal on both back and front but not necessarily obviously just for a hole. For instance I could have made sure one of the larger dots on

my design lined up with a suitable blank background area on the back

Edited by forthferalz

Why on Earth would anyone want to steal Geocoins? Or are they all just too lazy to read the: DO NOT KEEP notes I put along with the coins? It was my first attempt at using any trackable items, and the two out of three that I bought have been.....stolen. Ugh. Probably won't be buying coins again - that's for sure. Any suggestions on how to keep coins going from cache to cache? Or is this just a 'hit or miss' situation?

Personally I’d never steal anything and I’m not a criminal physiologist. However I think I might understand the mindset of the geocoin thief. If all your geocoins have been stolen before logging any miles it’s clear that others are not playing by the rules. It’s clear that the game has been ruined for you.

Well if others don’t play fair why should you? Why be a chump? Why not simply go to all the caches you can and clean them out? Is it really so wrong to steal from those who have stolen from you? There has to be some minimum level of honesty or this just doesn’t work.

Well if others don’t play fair why should you? Why be a chump? Why not simply go to all the caches you can and clean them out? Is it really so wrong to steal from those who have stolen from you?

That's likely the motive of some of the coin thieves... "paying forward" some real or imagined transgression by taking it out on people who have nothing to do with the original offense. I don't think that's a Geocaching issue, more of a window into serious personal problems.

But the vast majority of coin losses are from actual Geocachers who don't bother to do anything but take the coin. They might have even placed it into a cache (but made no log). The coin's showing in their Inventory, but they don't keep track of that, and don't particularly care. And some are not organized, but whatever, they don't really know where the coin went exactly, and to avoid the wrath of the coin owner, they ignore the coin owner.

For my owned coins, I take a kind of amnesty approach: If you lost my Trackable, be honest about what happened. Can I just have a little closure? "Will the takers please let me off the hook." That's all I'm asking. And hey, if it turns up someday, that's great! Put it back in the game.

Edited by kunarion

Personally I’d never steal anything and I’m not a criminal physiologist. However I think I might understand the mindset of the geocoin thief. If all your geocoins have been stolen before logging any miles it’s clear that others are not playing by the rules. It’s clear that the game has been ruined for you.

Well if others don’t play fair why should you? Why be a chump? Why not simply go to all the caches you can and clean them out? Is it really so wrong to steal from those who have stolen from you? There has to be some minimum level of honesty or this just doesn’t work.

Did you notice that this thread was recently revived from 2007 archives?

Don't expect Hide and Seek to reply ... they haven't logged in since January 2011.

The free mobile apps have been the final death blow to trackables and geocoins. Sure, some bugs and coins still move around. The majority of mine that have gone missing are taken by cachers with very few finds that play the game for days at the most.

When the cost of a GPS was the greatest barrier to the game the losses were manageable. Now, it is mostly pointless to send something out if you are going to get upset over it only going a few hundred miles at the most on average.

it is mostly pointless to send something out if you are going to get upset over it only going a few hundred miles at the most on average.

You may risk it anyway, on the chance that it travels on and on. I won't advise people to place nice Geocoins anymore, if the intention is for them to travel cache-to-cache. That part of the game was killed a few years ago. But these things do not evaporate, they are Trackable to the Owner and may be back in play at any time, so you may decide to chance it.

A couple of mine are still alive, one is a Geocoin placed in 2011. I don't "manage" them, except to revive them once gone for 12 months (Which is quite a pain. It would simpler if people would be honest and responsible with other people's property -- these irresponsible people are in the woods right now. Scary thought!). I don't write to people telling them to move the coin, and I have zero urgency to "clean up" a cache listing when my coin's not there -- if people require accurate cache Inventories, they need to fully support accurate logs. There are two sides to my coin. B)

Edited by kunarion

The only trackables I still have on the move are dogtags attached to junk I find along the trail. One is a small child's flip-flop - it's getting around pretty well. My Geocoins have all gone off the RADAR by now, probably in someone's junk drawer or being sold by unscrupulous people at flea markets.

I'm always amazed when I find an ancient geocoin still making the rounds.

I've found 3 Geocoins so far, the first was just by itself and the other two are both in coin pouches with an info card.

I moved the first one on a while back, it has so far travelled for 14,000+ miles and been going since May 2008 and still travelling.

The other two I still have in my possession and hoping to move them along shortly, One released in February 2009 has travelled 3500 miles so far, the other released in July 2011 has travelled 300 miles.

I love coins, so do think its part of the reason I hold onto them a little longer than I do TB's, but I will always move them on. Hoping to set off some of my own at some point too, I set off one TB a while back, but not a coin yet.

As for people keeping them, it's always gonna happen at some point, they either like it so figure why not, they lose it, they think they can sell it, there's plenty of factors why they could nab it.

My TB went missing after a while and that was only a dogtag attached to a keyring, anything in future I set off will be to see if I can beat the previous distance by my TB and to try and visit some nice countryside on the way, before it disappears.

If it gets stolen or lost early in it's quest, then look at the positives, the next one is a lot more likely to do better :)

Hello Everyone ... First time poster here. I came here with the intent to discuss Geocoins and their possible loss and I see that I am in good company. Before I share with you my thoughts and recent experiences in this matter, I would like you to know that I do understand that not all areas are as bad as others when it comes to these little treasures turning up missing. I also respect your decision in how you personally handle your property. I may not mirror your thoughts on how to handle the situation, but hey that is what makes the world go around right?

My nephew and I are both still new at Geocaching, a little more that 4 months now. We love the sport (we don't call it a game.) For what little time we have been doing this, we have found and moved a few tags and coins. Just like all of you out there we think of it as an extra treat to come across a cache with with a bug or coin and are honored to move it along. A couple of weeks back we were at a nice cache and found this laminated copy of a Geocoin. He and I look at each other and said WTH??? We decided to do our duty and move it along. We must have discussed back and forth for about an hour about this find. We tried to figure out why someone would do this.

Well a few caches later we came across a cache where the owner put no effort or pride into. It was literally just a Walgreens aspirin bottle with the words "Geocache" hand written over the the original label. Inside was a soaking wet piece of notebook paper with a dozen or so previous finders names. With no ability or desire to sign what was provided, we went to our car and retrieved a replacement log and 2 small Ziploc baggies, one for the old wet log and one for the replacement. We managed to cram the contents of both back into this bottle and he and I looked at each other. At the exact same time we said "let's put the fake geocoin in here!" Well it took some very creative crimping and folding of that proxy coin but we got it in there. :lol: We logged its move and laughed our rears off as we left. :lol:

It was our opinion that niether the owner of the coin nor the owner of the cache took any pride in their supplies which made it too easy for us to have no respect for it either. It is my opinion that if you can't do it right then don't do it at all. In addition if you can't afford to lose that geobug or coin then please do not put it out.

There are a few rotten people out there that would like to ruin it for the rest of us, let's not let them. Be more creative then they are. For example if a thief runs rampant in your area, how about just handing your Geocoin to the next Geocacher you run into and asking them to log it and to move it along in a similar safe manner? How about dropping it off in a cache nearest to the airport where it is more likely to leave your area and maybe find a safer home? There are dozens of ways that you could foil these few punks out there, it really isn't hard as most of them are not very clever.

Please people ... no more proxy Geocoins. They look like heck and I for one hate them. I would rather find only the cache.

Thank you for your time,

Clarion Y2K

Edited by Clarion Y2K

- SNIP -

At the exact same time we said "let's put the fake geocoin in here!" Well it took some very creative crimping and folding of that proxy coin but we got it in there. :lol: We logged its move and laughed our rears off as we left. :lol:

It was our opinion that niether the owner of the coin nor the owner of the cache took any pride in their supplies which made it too easy for us to have no respect for it either. It is my opinion that if you can't do it right then don't do it at all. In addition if you can't afford to lose that geobug or coin then please do not put it out.

There are a few rotten people out there that would like to ruin it for the rest of us, let's not let them. Be more creative then they are. For example if a thief runs rampant in your area, how about just handing your Geocoin to the next Geocacher you run into and asking them to log it and to move it along in a similar safe manner? How about dropping it off in a cache nearest to the airport where it is more likely to leave your area and maybe find a safer home? There are dozens of ways that you could foil these few punks out there, it really isn't hard as most of them are not very clever.

Please people ... no more proxy Geocoins. They look like heck and I for one hate them. I would rather find only the cache.

If you dislike these so much, don't take them.

- Pretty simple isn't it?

You purposely ruined a proxy (and you have no idea why it's now a proxy...) just because you don't like them? <_<

Like you said, if you can't do it right then don't do it at all.

"let's put the fake geocoin in here!" Well it took some very creative crimping and folding of that proxy coin but we got it in there. :lol: We logged its move and laughed our rears off as we left. :lol:

It was our opinion that niether the owner of the coin nor the owner of the cache took any pride in their supplies which made it too easy for us to have no respect for it either.

Sometimes the "proxy" is made and placed by the person who stole the real coin. Was there a clear indication on the coin's page that the Coin Owner placed a "fake coin"? Did you make a proper log about what you found/placed?

I too have had a similar experience with a geocoin. My son and I bought a limited edition one and was in hopes of watching its adventure. However it made it into the hands of one geocacher whom seems more intent on collecting as many trackables as they can without moving them forward. I will have to think long and hard before I purchase another one if at all.

You purposely ruined a proxy (and you have no idea why it's now a proxy...) just because you don't like them? <_<

cerberus1,

I find it very hard to believe that I have ruined anything. It was a piece of laminated paper for petes sake. Then you even try to use my own words against me? Pardon me but I logged that I took it. I moved it several miles away from where it was found. I then logged the move. It did not say "do not fold, spindle or mutilate. So as far as I am concerned I did do it right.

Sometimes the "proxy" is made and placed by the person who stole the real coin. Was there a clear indication on the coin's page that the Coin Owner placed a "fake coin"? Did you make a proper log about what you found/placed?

kunarion,

I read the coins page and there was no indication that the coin had been proxied. I contacted the owner who told me that she had proxied it so she could keep her 10 dollar coin safe at home. To answer the rest of your question, yes of course I properly logged all of my actions.

I too have had a similar experience with a geocoin. My son and I bought a limited edition one and was in hopes of watching its adventure. However it made it into the hands of one geocacher whom seems more intent on collecting as many trackables as they can without moving them forward. I will have to think long and hard before I purchase another one if at all.

seekerjack,

I do hope that you and your son try it again. Most people that place them out there say that only 15% - 20% turn up missing. Most Geocachers are fun and honest people and they will do their best to keep your coin moving.

Clarion Y2K

cerberus1,

I find it very hard to believe that I have ruined anything. It was a piece of laminated paper for petes sake. Then you even try to use my own words against me? Pardon me but I logged that I took it. I moved it several miles away from where it was found. I then logged the move. It did not say "do not fold, spindle or mutilate. So as far as I am concerned I did do it right.

Clarion Y2K

Of two coins you've logged to date, both are still in your possession...

Whether you feel this other one was just "a piece of laminated paper" or not, it was someone's trackable.

Don't like them, don't take them.

Your own words against you, you crimped and folded it while laughing your rear off.

- Kinda like a troubled teen.

When reading this I was thinking, shall I respond to this or not.

But I decided to make a respond. :)

First off, I also have a proxy geocoin traveling around.

Let me explain to you why I have a proxy traveling around:

1)

You live in the USA. In my country geocoins cost more, and since I don't make a lot of money right now I can't afford to buy many geocoins. Yes, €14,- (=+/- $20,-) for me for a geocoin is much. Maybe you don't think so, but for me it is.

I have bought that specific geocoin for an event (a new king) that I wanted a memory of. What memory would be better then one that is also related to my hobby. So I bought this geocoin. With that coin I also have bought a page and a tracking number. It is nowhere in the rules that I can't put that tracking number on another object to let that one travel. So I did put in on another item, and let that travel.

2)

People that don't like my proxy are free to not move it and ignore it.

Or can I only release stuff if I have much money to do so?

Edited by #Tenzin

Of two coins you've logged to date, both are still in your possession...

Whether you feel this other one was just "a piece of laminated paper" or not, it was someone's trackable.

Don't like them, don't take them.

Your own words against you, you crimped and folded it while laughing your rear off.

- Kinda like a troubled teen.

cerberus1,

I think that it is very sad that I can't come to this public forum and have a discussion without you doing your best to belittle and discredit me simply because you and I do not see eye to eye on this topic. You took it upon yourself to go through my profile that I have never tried to hide. There was one place however you neglected to view, that is the profile of my nephew that I said from the beginning I was with that day. His Geo name is Madkat03. I encourage you to view his profile as well and to save you some time, the name of the coin in question is "5th Annual Baker County Moonshine Run Event Geocoin."

You seemed concerned with the fact that at the time of your post that I had several coins and bugs still in my posession and that was true. In addition, the truth that was not mentioned here for all to read is the fact that they were all in my posession for less than 30 days which falls into the reasonable time period to hold them while looking for a proper new home for them. I have since made a trip to the Orlando Airport TB Hotel and dropped most of them off to give them a very good chance to get on a plane and get some serious miles on them. I said most ... there was a boyscout geocoin that I found. I placed this one at a cache called "Jamboree." This is a cache at the entrance to a boyscout campground here in Orlando. It just seemed right for it to be there for other scouts to discover.

Now cerberus1 I ask you here in front of eveyone in this public forum to please stop these attacks on me with the sole intention to name call, belittle and discredit. Please let's keep this a discussion and please try to remember that there will be people out there that may have an opinion that differs from your own.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok for eveyone else,

You by now know where I stand on so called "Proxy Coins." I have no intentions to stop having my fun by trying to get them in smaller and smaller caches until my ultimate goal of getting one in a nano. If the thought of this makes you cringe because you own one, please let me explain further. We all come here caching to have fun. Not eveyones idea of fun mirrors that of the next person. It has been said that I ruined the proxy by crimping and folding it to get it in that bottle. I will agree that it now looks more weathered but it is not ruined. The tracking number is still very visable when unfolded. Isn't your goal as the owner to see it go to as many caches and travel as many miles as possible? Well by folding and crimping it, I have just multiplied how many caches it will fit in by who knows how many. If on the other hand if you would take this picture of your coin and then place it in a 10 cent plastic coin holder you could prevent this folding and crimping from happening. JMHO

Please let's discuss proxys a bit further ... Very soon I will be placing out a new cache for all of you to discover. I have recently picked up an ammo can. I have gone to geocaching.com and purchased the large geocache lable for one side and the large oval hide it find it sticker for the other side. Inside you will find a log and a new pen as well as 5 dollars worth of swag for the kids that come with their parents caching. All together I must have over $30.00 invested in this cache. Now would it be ok for me to just take a picture of the ammo can and sit it by a tree out there for all of you to find just because I fear someone out there might actually take the whole thing home with them? You know, you could just sign the back of the picture and put it back by the tree. How weak would that be huh?

I am open to your thoughts,

Clarion Y2K

I just recently earned a geocoin for finding caches in my region. I was thinking of sending out a proxy because this is about more than the money - it's the effort I put into earning the coin. I'd hate for it to get lost. OTOH, I wouldn't mind seeing it traveling.

But if people treat proxies like a joke, I don't think I'll be sending it out at all. Maybe I'll just use it to track my visited cache mileage. That's one less traveler out there.

Edited by TriciaG

I just recently earned a geocoin for finding caches in my region. I was thinking of sending out a proxy because this is about more than the money - it's the effort I put into earning the coin. I'd hate for it to get lost. OTOH, I wouldn't mind seeing it traveling.

But if people treat proxies like a joke, I don't think I'll be sending it out at all. Maybe I'll just use it to track my visited cache mileage. That's one less traveler out there.

We've moved proxy coins as if they were the original and I'd like to believe most do.

We understand why folks choose to send them these days.

- Just look at when this thread started and see they're talking about losing five bucks. :)

What makes you think most proxies are just laminated copies only?

The ones I have seen are more own creations. I have seen one that went ahead with photoshop and create almost a small painting that was traveling. And I have seen ones that where from wood and where people made/drawn there own design on. And others are made out of clay, and then baked. (Incl. mine) At the moment I see plenty of "proxies". They travel well, and they are more unique, becasue somebody did put there own creativity in it.

Also, my opinion on "proxy" haters/demolishers is that:

The more people rage about seeing a "proxy", the more I believe they just want to keep the Geocoin.

Why else would a "proxy" bother so much?

As said: If you don't like my "proxy" (or personal Creation as I call them) they ignore them.

This is how I chose to play the game, and I will continue so.

If somebody breaks my Creation, then I just Design and Create a new one. B)

First off ... thank you everyone, now this thread seems more like a discussion.

Tenzin, I have only seen the laminated black and white photocopies out there as a proxy. I have not seen several of them either ... only one. I like the fact that you actually put effort into making yours and I assure you that if I were to stumble by one, I would either move it along or ignore it.

This next part is for everyone ... what is to prevent people putting out proxies being able to put out more than one of the same at the same time. One minute it is in California and the next moment it is discovered in Maine? I am not implying anything devious being purposely done here it could be innocent enough. For instance, you put your proxy out there and it only goes 100 miles and you think that it goes MIA. You wait a couple of months and you decide to release another proxy to replace that first one. Now the first one is found under some cachers front seat of their car and put back into circulation at the next cache they come to. How is that going to work?

If it takes 5 of your proxies of the same geocoin to go 1000 miles do you feel that is the same accomplishment as a cacher that placed his/her real geo coin out there that went the same distance?

What were your thoughts on my Proxy Ammo Can Geo Cache idea? Wouldn't you be thrilled to find that out in the woods?

Clarion Y2k

Now would it be ok for me to just take a picture of the ammo can and sit it by a tree out there for all of you to find just because I fear someone out there might actually take the whole thing home with them? You know, you could just sign the back of the picture and put it back by the tree.

This violates guidelines. A traditional cache must have a container and a log sheet/book.

Proxy travelers do not violate the guidelines.

I especially enjoyed this proxy, http://www.geocachin...?tracker=sg2451

Laminated copy of the heart shaped coin. The best part about this one is that the trackable is set to collectible and has "Discover Me" written on the proxy. Why, of course, all you can do with a collectible geocoin is discover it. You can't grab it. You can't drop it. Why is it in a cache at all?

This one could use a bit of folding by Clarion Y2K.

Edited by fbingha

Hello Everyone ... First time poster here. I came here with the intent to discuss Geocoins and their possible loss and I see that I am in good company. Before I share with you my thoughts and recent experiences in this matter, I would like you to know that I do understand that not all areas are as bad as others when it comes to these little treasures turning up missing. I also respect your decision in how you personally handle your property. I may not mirror your thoughts on how to handle the situation, but hey that is what makes the world go around right?

My nephew and I are both still new at Geocaching, a little more that 4 months now. We love the sport (we don't call it a game.) For what little time we have been doing this, we have found and moved a few tags and coins. Just like all of you out there we think of it as an extra treat to come across a cache with with a bug or coin and are honored to move it along. A couple of weeks back we were at a nice cache and found this laminated copy of a Geocoin. He and I look at each other and said WTH??? We decided to do our duty and move it along. We must have discussed back and forth for about an hour about this find. We tried to figure out why someone would do this.

Well a few caches later we came across a cache where the owner put no effort or pride into. It was literally just a Walgreens aspirin bottle with the words "Geocache" hand written over the the original label. Inside was a soaking wet piece of notebook paper with a dozen or so previous finders names. With no ability or desire to sign what was provided, we went to our car and retrieved a replacement log and 2 small Ziploc baggies, one for the old wet log and one for the replacement. We managed to cram the contents of both back into this bottle and he and I looked at each other. At the exact same time we said "let's put the fake geocoin in here!" Well it took some very creative crimping and folding of that proxy coin but we got it in there. :lol: We logged its move and laughed our rears off as we left. :lol:

Thank you for your time,

Clarion Y2K

Thank you for moving the geocoin, but no thank you for the disrespect that you treated it with. There are thousands of Proxy coins out there and they are allowed, they are part of the game, and you should please treat others as you would expect to be treated. If you can't treat these trackables with respect, then please leave them for other more caring cachers to find and move along.

Thank you.

Edited by Eartha
to fix quote

First off ... thank you everyone, now this thread seems more like a discussion.

Tenzin, I have only seen the laminated black and white photocopies out there as a proxy. I have not seen several of them either ... only one. I like the fact that you actually put effort into making yours and I assure you that if I were to stumble by one, I would either move it along or ignore it.

This next part is for everyone ... what is to prevent people putting out proxies being able to put out more than one of the same at the same time. One minute it is in California and the next moment it is discovered in Maine? I am not implying anything devious being purposely done here it could be innocent enough. For instance, you put your proxy out there and it only goes 100 miles and you think that it goes MIA. You wait a couple of months and you decide to release another proxy to replace that first one. Now the first one is found under some cachers front seat of their car and put back into circulation at the next cache they come to. How is that going to work?

If it takes 5 of your proxies of the same geocoin to go 1000 miles do you feel that is the same accomplishment as a cacher that placed his/her real geo coin out there that went the same distance?

What were your thoughts on my Proxy Ammo Can Geo Cache idea? Wouldn't you be thrilled to find that out in the woods?

Clarion Y2k

Simple. One item per tracking number.

Personaly, if my Creation goes missing so be it. My fimo clay Creation aren't expensinve, just nice too look at. So I think they will have a better chance in traveling. If it goes missing, then I will use another Geocoin tracking number and release that one with a new Creation.

But I must admit that for my first Creation/Proxy somebody swapped the thing for a less atractive copy. I know the fimo clay copy I made had much details in it. So that is why I think it is missing now, read:swapped. Funny enough my tags did stay in the map, just the copy was swapped. :ph34r: . So I asked another cacher if he could take this fake-copy thing out. Lucky he did. :) I learned from it and made pictures of the thing that is traveling, so if things do get swapped, people know. :P And there will be less detail on the next ones. And ofcourse my name is now on the back. :anicute:

The reason why this one does get a 2nd copy is becasue since I know it got swapped, I know the real one won't show up for sure.

BTW, this is the one I am talking about:

3abbf0cb-0e95-44c4-acb0-f0df700a7de9.jpg

I think real Geocoins go missing much faster the a Cache.

And since I have 1 cache also, the thing was cheaper then a real Geocoin.

My cache was like €1,- (plastic container) with some goodies gummy, magnet, playmobil character, a personal card that I leave everywhere behind where I went etc.

Total that was like €5,- incl. official logboek.

Makes the Geocoin here (in Europe) still more expensive. :)

Edited by #Tenzin