quality of the cache?

jinxeee

I have been caching for many years since 01, i took some years off but now have gotten back in to it.

years ago all the caches we found were always well stocked with goodies. today a lot of the caches are near empty or filled with junk. has any other "old timers" noticed this?

Many people seam to be concerned with # found rather then the true part of cacheing (to fine a cache)

also many people are into the TNLN ( took nothing left nothing) Why?

I think it has to do with the proliferation of caches. 6 years ago, caches were few and far between, so even if the cache happened to be only a few hundred feet from the road, finding it was still a memorable event. Now there are so many caches that it's pretty easy to go into an area and find 10, 20, or more caches in one day. To trade items into and out of all of those caches (even if just half of them are large enough for trade items) would be rather expensive! Furthermore, there are a lot more familes with kids caching now than there were back in the beginning, so trade items that are geared towards kids are common. Add to it the fact that many people don't stick with caching for a long time and thus don't care as much about maintaining a cache to high standards or maintaining a geocaching reputation by trading up, hiding quality caches, rehiding caches well, and writing decent logs, and you've got the typical "Easy find. TNLNSL/TFTC" log. It's pretty annoying when you spend a long time hiding a cache and get a log like that, isn't it? I guess the most each person who cares about doing their best is for him or her to maintain his/her own high standards in and integrity regardless of what others do.

I think it has to do with the proliferation of caches. 6 years ago, caches were few and far between, so even if the cache happened to be only a few hundred feet from the road, finding it was still a memorable event. Now there are so many caches that it's pretty easy to go into an area and find 10, 20, or more caches in one day. To trade items into and out of all of those caches (even if just half of them are large enough for trade items) would be rather expensive! Furthermore, there are a lot more familes with kids caching now than there were back in the beginning, so trade items that are geared towards kids are common. Add to it the fact that many people don't stick with caching for a long time and thus don't care as much about maintaining a cache to high standards or maintaining a geocaching reputation by trading up, hiding quality caches, rehiding caches well, and writing decent logs, and you've got the typical "Easy find. TNLNSL/TFTC" log. It's pretty annoying when you spend a long time hiding a cache and get a log like that, isn't it? I guess the most each person who cares about doing their best is for him or her to maintain his/her own high standards in and integrity regardless of what others do.

I think that explains it all in one response.

However, I think most cache owners, myself included, like to know if their caches needs maintenance or needs a refill of swag. The last ammo box I hid contained over $75 worth of maps and I recently received a $50+ backpack as a FTF gift. Also, everyone of my caches has at least a $5 FTF prize in it. My wife just ordered 500 buttons for my caching anniversary so my TNLN logs will start to decrease but she will not let me bring anymore SWAG home so that will still stay in the caches I find. Not that I took your post personally or anything, but newbies often get a bad wrap just because we were not caching in 2001.

I agree with both of the previous posts. As a former newb (aren't we all?), I have to say that I didn't really fully grasp what caching means until about the time when I broke 100. I admit that, early on, I wasn't above trading down or leaving logs with more abbreviations than full words. After a few months' worth of finds, though, and after eagerly tracking my first hide, I started to really understand the sense of community integral to the caching experience. It takes time and experience to figure that out, and no amount of reading can teach a newb that.

Oh, and that sound you're hearing is everyone clicking on weathernowcast's profile to see where $75 worth of maps might be. :D

Welcome back Jinxee. One of the first caches I ever found was one of yours.

I think for most of us it's about the hunt, not what's in the cache. And there are the numbers hounds sprinkled among us who don't even care much about the hunt, just the "smiley".

It also depends somewhat on where you find your caches. I know in the Morris/Passaic/Bergen County area, most of the caches I've found have been very well stocked. There are however a few area cache owners who hide excellent caches and don't stock their caches with much, or at all.

I prefer finding a nicely stocked cache. Even if I forgot to bring something to trade, I enjoy the sense of anticipation that comes with opening a cache and I like looking through the trinkets. That said, I'm not

completely disappointed if its empty or full of junk. I had fun with the hunt and that's what its all about.

The one big difference you may notice between now and when you started is the proliferation of caches

in the most mundane and sometimes downright unappealing places. It's not too bad in northern NJ yet, but

if you go to other states the situation is pretty bleak, unless you want to spend time researching all of your

potential hunts.

Welcome back Jinxee. One of the first caches I ever found was one of yours.

I think for most of us it's about the hunt, not what's in the cache. And there are the numbers hounds sprinkled among us who don't even care much about the hunt, just the "smiley".

It also depends somewhat on where you find your caches. I know in the Morris/Passaic/Bergen County area, most of the caches I've found have been very well stocked. There are however a few area cache owners who hide excellent caches and don't stock their caches with much, or at all.

I prefer finding a nicely stocked cache. Even if I forgot to bring something to trade, I enjoy the sense of anticipation that comes with opening a cache and I like looking through the trinkets. That said, I'm not

completely disappointed if its empty or full of junk. I had fun with the hunt and that's what its all about.

The one big difference you may notice between now and when you started is the proliferation of caches

in the most mundane and sometimes downright unappealing places. It's not too bad in northern NJ yet, but

if you go to other states the situation is pretty bleak, unless you want to spend time researching all of your

potential hunts.

Also, if you are looking to get back into the swing of things with some nice caches, just visit any of BrianSnat's caches. The one I did today was so full you could almost not close it and I was the first to get there in 5 months even through it is not that bad of a hike. In fact, if I had visited more BrianSnat caches early in my rookie year, lots of my first caches would have been better.

I've only been at it for 2 years, but I've noticed more caches are placed "just to have one there". We seem to be heading toward more micros in the parking lots, and fewer quality caches. Here in N/W PA, we have some great caches that take you to waterfalls, old iron furnaces, and other scenic or historic places. I've lived here for 47 years, and in the last two, I've found great places within a few miles of home that I never knew were there. Unfortunately, two out of three caches are there for the "number" people. I log them, but more than anything else, it's to get them out of my PQs. I enjoy a walk along a stream, or through big trees, and I seek out those types of caches.

When I hide caches, I don't put any swag in there to start, no ftf prize, nothing but a log book and a pencil. I like the small (decon) size the best. Big enough for a cut down mead pad log book, still big enough if people want to put a small bug or a geocoin in there. I totally understand people wanting to trade swag, its just that I'm not into it. I don't bother carrying anything with me to trade, because I know I'm not going to trade anything :-) I'm in it for the hunt, and the joy of the outdoors. Finding a cache that is ssoooo full of swag that its hard to close the lid is actually really annoying to me :-)

Just figured i'd share my slightly different view :-)

I agree with H20Bob and Woodlit.

I search for the hunt and also to find a location that I normally would not have found on my own. Most of my caches are placed to bring someone to a special place and some to challenge the eye. When I started I carried the big swag bag but found I usually left it back at the car anyway. Only pet peeve I have is if you have swag in the cache bag it. There is nothing like rooting through slimey wet erasers. <_<

We still love the cachers that trade though. Nice to look through the "stuff".

When we first started, caches were on the large side, with trade items inside of good quality.

We're finding micros have become the norm now, at least in our area.

Shame.... I feel it kinda leaves folks with kids out of the sport. Really need a "draw" for the youngsters to get interested (ever try to take a little kid fishing?) , as they loose track quickly.

We have (literally) a steamer trunk full of crayons - up to 96ct boxes- and lots of kid-friendly swag (all in plastic bags) to keep them WANTING to see what's in the next one.

Guess the problem on THAT end is, most swag has deteriorated to stuff that no one wants (Mctoys are the worst) , which amounts to junk in caches. Unfortunately, we're finding whatever we place in, is the top item in the box.

There ARE times when caches need'nt be full-sized or have swag... The AT, or a trail with a similiar difficulty level and anything rated 3.5 and up. These aren't normally accessed by parents WITH their kids.

We DO like to see a FTF prize in caches though, especially if they were tough ones <_<

T.Bs and geocoins used to be a clue to a quality cache, but no more. And folks don't seem to remember they're NOT trade items, "swapping" them for something in their bag.

I've noticed I'm steered towards the 3.5+ caches or ones on a very long trail.

CJ gets most of the others. Not really a "numbers" thing for her. She simply likes to see if she can find 'em :huh:

We always log "something" in all finds. How would you feel if you worked for that perfect spot and all YOU got was TNLNSL or TFTC ? Good or bad, say something about the experience. Seems to be the numbers folks who leave crap logs. Most we ever got in one day was eleven and wrote of our trip in each one.

Guess with more folks joining and many more caches placed, you're bound to get junk caches and cachers who want to play the game THEIR way. We're human.

Cache safe.

While I was typin', CJ called ( from her second trip to "King Tut" in Philly) to say a NEW ONE's out in our area...

Yeah, a micro at McDonalds' . Be waitin' 'til she gets back. :laughing:

I'm with you.

Since I'd started - I've noticed many more micros (especially small caches in the woods). There's also lot of puzzle caches (where the page starts "THE CACHE IS NOT AT THE POSTED COORDINATES"). Unfortunately, I'm not always good about reading the page in advance.....

My kids used to love going caching - but as others have said - they dig the "swap" piece. All the micros and tiny caches we've found recently definitely seem less fun. I always enjoyed reading about adventures when folks sought my caches (some were downright hilarious). I enjoyed those types of caches and wish there was a "look out - this is gonna be a fun one!" rating that I could screen by!

New to caching here.... Been at it a few weeks. Usually at the PNGs, I leave nothing but my sig in the logbook. I try to take nothing out of a cache, without leaving something in it... and I hate to leave trash. I wont take anything, if I cant leave something.... and I wont take something just to take it, I will only take something worth taking. I might have the spirit of the game wrong in that... not really sure what the popular philosophy is... as I said I am new to the game & the only mentors I have are those who respond to me on here.

I DO take signature items for trades though. I was loathe to do that at first, so I asked around, including someone whose item I grabbed... and all seem to think that its ok to nab those bits.

Since we are on the subject... When I take a TB to move, do I leave something in trade? Do they move about freely, or is it cool to take them & LN??? So far I have been leaving something to replace them.

...years ago all the caches we found were always well stocked with goodies. today a lot of the caches are near empty or filled with junk. has any other "old timers" noticed this? ...also many people are into the TNLN ( took nothing left nothing) Why?

Years ago there were fewer caches and cachers, but even then caches quickly turned to McSwag. I don't really see it as much different today than it was then in regards to swag.

As for the TNLN...well, I pretty much have all the swag I can use laying around my house. I enjoy looking at swag and every now then trade, but it's rare. I tend to trade a coin for a coin and that's about it. TNLN is where all of us should end up given time and maturity. Maturity meaning we can honestly answer the question "Do I need this?" and the answer is "No" and so we don't trade.

Since we are on the subject... When I take a TB to move, do I leave something in trade? Do they move about freely, or is it cool to take them & LN??? So far I have been leaving something to replace them

T.B.s are NOT trade items. You do not leave anything for them and PLEASE don't take anything from a cache and leave a T.B. or geocoin ( unless you're leaving an "unactivated" coin as a trade item.) Some have some type of mission, but usually move about from cache to cache.

There ARE times when caches need'nt be full-sized or have swag... The AT, or a trail with a similiar difficulty level and anything rated 3.5 and up. These aren't normally accessed by parents WITH their kids.

We DO like to see a FTF prize in caches though, especially if they were tough ones :P

Why do I get the feeling that, that is geared towards me? lol

Pssst Cerberus, I think I found my next location for my next 5 terrain :-) Just for you, I'll order a five start climbing coin for the FTF.

As for your other comment, when it comes to moving coins and tbs, I don't think any trade is needed. I don't trade anything, but I do pick up tb's and coins. Not for the icons or number, but as a owner of both coins and tbs I just love to see them move. Cache to cache, city to city, state to state....

As for micros at mcdonalds, I think every cache has its place. When i'm in the mood to do some caches, I'll run my pq's for caches of 4 terrain and higher. If it is a rainy day and I'm bored outa my skull, those micros start to look a little better.

As for urban micros, they are perfect for my 9 y.o. son. We don't always have the time to drive to a state park and hike for an hour or 2 or more to find one cache although we enjoy that, too. Urban micros might be boring, but they are great for a weekend afternoon to entertain a young child. He is hooked on caching and hopefully he will be the next generation of cacher. I'll bet the whole geocaching activity will have changed by then, like everything else.

"Many people seam to be concerned with # found rather then the true part of cacheing (to fine a cache)

also many people are into the TNLN ( took nothing left nothing) Why?" jinxee

Your inquiry provides the seed of the answer. With a certain degree of exception, it is only about the # and because it is about only the # that matters the other factors of caching, including the trade diminish in importance so as to becume a nullity. But that is of no concern to you, me or any other person for: "To each his own"

Edited by Packanack

This game is played by a myraid of people for about the same number of reasons.

I cache with a good friend who loves urban micros. I can't stand them. He hates the top of mountains, but I love them. Yet I will go for the urban ones when I can, and climb the mountains and hike the hike when I can. It is all part of the game. Who are we to say that something "should" be a certain way?

Not all caches in the woods take us to an overlook, a vista. Some caches simply remind us that we are in the woods.

Not all urban caches take us to Wal-Mart or McDonalds, but when traveling, it sure is nice to plan a stop and grab a cache!

I have no problem with TNLNSL. Hell, sometimes that is all I do. Sure, I like a story or an adventure in the logs, but each player has his or her own reason for logging. (And we have players out there who do NOT log . . . .)

I love the new cachers! They hide new hides for me to find. (And that, in turn, brings me more :laughing: !!!)

I prefer caches that have a nice walk, that take you a pretty spot near a stream or lake or a scenic view, or a cache that is hidden in a unique or clever way.

I think the guardrail micro at a rest area is fine because it is a good excuse to stop and stretch your legs while traveling, but I don't think there should be a micro in every walmart parking lot. Over the summer I spent some time in Florida, and picked up 60 caches. I think less than 10 of them were regular or small size caches (not micros). I think at that point, the micro has been taken too far.

When I hide a new cache, I try to hide it in a nice spot. Some of my caches have long hikes, but I realize not everyone has the time or ability for that, so not all of them are very difficult to get to. A few are very easy, some are just easy to get to, but are cleverly hidden and will provide a nice challenge.

:(:huh: