PC cable

candyash

If you have a newer eTrex (C, CX, H, HC or HCX models) you may already have the cable. It's the standard

USB cable that comes with many digital cameras, cell phones and other electronic devices. If not, then you can find one easily in an office supply store.

If it's an older, BW eTrex then you need a special cable. Garmin sells it, as do some other manufacturers. Being that it's a serial connection, you also might need a serial/USB adapter if your PC doesn't have a

serial port (most PCs sold in the last few years don't have one, unless you specifically ask for it).

I just checked the Garmin website, it showed you needed the serial port cable. After getting the cable, you may need to download from the Garmin site to load waypoints from the Groundspeak site. Click on "Send to GPS" button and follow the links.

Personally, I prefer loading from GSAK, a program that can filter and organize thousands of cache in your computer.

Thanks for the info. The etrex I have is the basic yellow one. Do I need to get software to download the coordinates?

Yes you do. Your GPS might have come with Mapsource Trip and Waypoint manager. That will do what you need, though most people I know use something else. EasyGPS is free and true to its name, is the easiest

way to do it. GSAK is inexpensive and a far more powerful tool for doing it.