Caching with my dogs

bluesquirrel94

I am going to be going up north (in Wisconsin) in a few weeks, and the drive home is about 6 hours. I want to stop a few places to do some caches cause for me to drive non stop by myself makes me tired. Is there some how that I can narrow my search results to find caches that allow your pets to be with you? I really dont want to leave him in the car while I am gone in case the weather is too hot. So I want to make sure he can join me on them all. :lol:

And if the pets/no pets icon is not listed, am I correct in assuming they are best not included to be on the safe side? :lol:

Thanks fellow geocachers!

dragonfly_wi

:lol:

If you are a premium member you can run a pocket query pulling only caches that have the dogs allowed attribute.

If the pets/no pets attribute is not shown, that can mean anything from the cache owner not knowing, to him simply not using it because he doesn't think it's important.

When I use the pets attribute it's when I know for a fact that pets are allowed. If I'm not sure I leave it blank and I'll also usually leave it blank if it's pretty obvious pets are allowed (like city streets), or if it isn't a particularly pet friendly cache. If pets are not allowed or if it's dangerous for them I will use the no pets attribute.

Dragonfly wi, for a mere $3 per month, or $30 annually, you can be a premium member. Then you can run "caches on a route", pocket queries, have more bookmark lists, and support Groundspeak's efforts to provide you the cache info you crave.

When you run your pocket queries, it is possible to pick the attributes. For a quick way to find caches in rest areas along highways, go explore at www.geotruckers.com, look at the map and follow the benchmarks.

Dragonfly wi, for a mere $3 per month, or $30 annually, you can be a premium member. Then you can run "caches on a route", pocket queries, have more bookmark lists, and support Groundspeak's efforts to provide you the cache info you crave.

When you run your pocket queries, it is possible to pick the attributes. For a quick way to find caches in rest areas along highways, go explore at www.geotruckers.com, look at the map and follow the benchmarks.

I am thinking membership is the way to go.

Thanks.

Many of the dog friendly caches I go to don't actually have the dog friendly icon on the cache page. Sometimes I think the owner doesn't think about it or it's just obvious. I usually won't worry about it unless the cache page specifically says no pets. Although I did two recently that I specifically left my dog home for because they said no pets and I got there and could not figure out why they felt dogs would not be appropriate.

Ok, I got the premium mebership. Do I have to use Google Earth still to check the route, cause it tells me I only have so many views per day and I am not the only one looking on my computer for these. So between us we use up the views fast. I am probably just not figuring this out yet.

So I guess my new question here is How do I map a route from one place to another for caches? And how can I change the route in google earth (if that is what I need to use) if they route they choose isn't the route I take?

Ok, I got the premium mebership. Do I have to use Google Earth still to check the route, cause it tells me I only have so many views per day and I am not the only one looking on my computer for these. So between us we use up the views fast. I am probably just not figuring this out yet.

So I guess my new question here is How do I map a route from one place to another for caches? And how can I change the route in google earth (if that is what I need to use) if they route they choose isn't the route I take?

Since this is a very different question, I don't know how many replies you will get. This question is really more for the GPS Units and Software Forum.

Do you have any mapping programs like Streets and Trips or Garmin's Mapsource? You can create your route in those programs and then use the Arc/Poly filter in GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) if you have gotten Pocket Queries along the route/s you are taking. I do that for shorter trips I have taken.

You can also use Google Earth or Mapsource to create a .gpx file to upload to Caches Along A Route to get a PQ of the caches you specify. This works for distances of up to 500 miles. For longer trips, you have to create several routes.

I've only used this feature once, for a trip of almost 200 miles, and it worked very well. I created a separate database in GSAK just for the caches I wanted to look for on that roadtrip (caches with a Terrain rating of less than '2' and a Difficulty rating of less than '3'). That database also included a PQ centered on my destination (with no limitations on Terrain and Difficulty for that PQ) where I was going to have a couple of days to find caches in the area.

Since I haven't used the "live" feature from GC.com to Google Earth, I can't help with your question about the number of "views."

Since this is a very different question, I don't know how many replies you will get. This question is really more for the GPS Units and Software Forum.

Do you have any mapping programs like Streets and Trips or Garmin's Mapsource? You can create your route in those programs and then use the Arc/Poly filter in GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) if you have gotten Pocket Queries along the route/s you are taking. I do that for shorter trips I have taken.

You can also use Google Earth or Mapsource to create a .gpx file to upload to Caches Along A Route to get a PQ of the caches you specify. This works for distances of up to 500 miles. For longer trips, you have to create several routes.

I've only used this feature once, for a trip of almost 200 miles, and it worked very well. I created a separate database in GSAK just for the caches I wanted to look for on that roadtrip (caches with a Terrain rating of less than '2' and a Difficulty rating of less than '3'). That database also included a PQ centered on my destination (with no limitations on Terrain and Difficulty for that PQ) where I was going to have a couple of days to find caches in the area.

Since I haven't used the "live" feature from GC.com to Google Earth, I can't help with your question about the number of "views."

I use a Lowrance iFinder H2O for my GPS. I am going to try to find the Freedom Maps that go with it for the northern states to include WI.