Best unit for both road directions and geocaching!

Golfneday

Hello everyone! Is there a car unit out there that can also geocache. I was looking for a GPS unit that would work well for both auto-routing/directions and geocaching. I was looking for something between $200-300. I noticed the Magellan Crossover but the price is kinda steap. Is there anything else out there that would do close to the same thing. Thanks for your help.

Most automotive units are too delicate for serious caching (touch screens, not waterproof, etc). A possible exception might be the Garmin Quest.

Cacher often go the other way, buying a good handheld such as the Garmin Legend HCx or 60Cx, and then use it in the car. The tradeoff there is no touch screen (buttons instead), no voice prompts, and a smaller screen size.

The Quest does have voice prompts when hooked up via a cigarette lighter.

Both the 60CSx and VistaHCx have the same preloaded base maps, not sure how good they are in the US but Australian basemaps are pretty crap. I suspect that US basemaps are not much better otherwise they wouldn't be able to sell add on mapping.

If you get Auto routing it's the dearer City Navigator maps otherwise Metroguide will do. Check out Garmins website for prices.

It's worth pointing out that for in car use the new VistaHCx will most likely be better for visiblilty because you can run it off the car power and the screen is brighter at 50% than the 60CSx is at 100%

The 60 CSx screen is a little bigger but the resolution is worse (which is why it shows less of the map), meaning the brighter screen is more useful than the 10% larger size. You can over come the slightly smaller screen on the HCx by placing it 10% closer, but you can't do anything about the duller screen on the 60.

For quick glances at the screen, brightness will win every time which is why laptop manufacturers make such a big deal about the brightness and contrast of their LCD screens.

The only other consideration is the button placement.

I have a Venture Cx (I don't know how it differs from the Venture HCx). It only has a simple national basemap (basically only interstates and state routes), and does not come with any PC software at all or a Micro SD card.

I have built my own topographic maps (elevation contours and hydro), and uploaded from Garmin's MetroGuide for street level detail.

Note that you can only place maps on a Micro SD card, and not directly in the device's internal memory. So you will have to buy a card if you want to expand the maps (2GB cards can be had for less than $30 including shipping at Amazon). Or you can buy a card preloaded with maps from Garmin.

I've never used a automotive GPS before, but I can tell you that this unit's audio is very low, and it would be doubtful you could hear it beep to alert you during routing. I wouldn't want to risk relying on that to not miss a turn. Now if you want it for visual routing, then it would be fine.

Dan

Thanks for the info. I have been reading about the Vista or Venture HCx. The only question I have about those are if the unit comes with any kind of preloaded maps. If not, how much is the software to put the maps on?
The unit comes with a basemap that is reminiscent of the old state maps you could get at gas stations. Highways, but no city street detail. City Nav maps are the way to go unless you want to spend lots of time at a computer jerry-rigging other maps. They run about $100 to $120 from reputable on-line retailers.