Micro containers

PopUpPirate

Bullet cases, acorns, snail shells, sea shells... Okay so far?

The little pots that diabetic test strips come in have tightly fitting lids and are slightly smaller than 35mm canisters. Also you can use the uristrip containers which are a bit bigger. The lids on these are the same width as the container, so no problems getting the logs out. Ask at your local GP surgery or pharmacy if they have any old ones.

The little pots that diabetic test strips come in have tightly fitting lids and are slightly smaller than 35mm canisters. Also you can use the uristrip containers which are a bit bigger. The lids on these are the same width as the container, so no problems getting the logs out. Ask at your local GP surgery or pharmacy if they have any old ones.

i've started using these myself - they have a drying agent in the lid to reduce moisture build-up, and a colleague at work can keep me well stocked.

I also have access to an unlimited number of plastic screw top sample containers - totally waterproof (think nalgene bottles) and only slightly longer than a film canister. I can bring bags of them along to events if anyone wants them! (Having now finally moved house, we may actually be able to attend some events...)

Dave

I also have access to an unlimited number of plastic screw top sample containers - totally waterproof (think nalgene bottles) and only slightly longer than a film canister.

I've seen sample bottles used before but I always wonder how they will stand up to the ravages of weather over time, especially frost in the winter?

i've started using these myself - they have a drying agent in the lid to reduce moisture build-up, and a colleague at work can keep me well stocked.

I also have access to an unlimited number of plastic screw top sample containers - totally waterproof (think nalgene bottles) and only slightly longer than a film canister. I can bring bags of them along to events if anyone wants them! (Having now finally moved house, we may actually be able to attend some events...)

Dave

Hmmm I might have to ask my diabetic friend at work about these!

I also have access to an unlimited number of plastic screw top sample containers - totally waterproof (think nalgene bottles) and only slightly longer than a film canister.

I've seen sample bottles used before but I always wonder how they will stand up to the ravages of weather over time, especially frost in the winter?

pass! Haven't actually got any out at the moment, although I anticipate placing lots of new caches in the coming months, and any North Surrey cachers will be pleased to know they're going to be Trads!!! (VERY hard puzzle caches are rather thick on the ground in the area...)

Asda (I think) had some very small pots for storing stuff in. I've got one thats had shower gell in for a year now. It's square and a little longer than a film canister. Just noticed an old contact lens case next to the computer, if I could remove the lens holding bit ...

Karen

edited to add - middle bit of contact lens case just pulls out.

Edited by Dark_Faerie

Just noticed an old contact lens case next to the computer, if I could remove the lens holding bit ...

Karen

edited to add - middle bit of contact lens case just pulls out.

I had a series of four caches that used these, and most of them have let damp in at some point, despite them having a screw thread.

If you are going to use them, perhaps try putting a layer of silicone adhesive around the rim.

Army surplus cigarette tubes. Aluminium, screw-top with a rubber seal, mostly green, four for a quid... I've found them a great alternative to 35mm tubs.
can you post a link for these please?
I'm not sure what you mean by a link - I've only ever bought mine from a shop on the Botley Road in Oxford. But here's a shot of one in situ:

5f8bbac1-0dc1-4144-8353-f13859367f9f.jpg

Look for 'Preforms'. These are small, plastic, screw top containers, made of PET Plastic Thread, wound on a diagonal ply. They are what plastic soda bottles start out life as. Heavy walled and virtually indestructible. They are as water tight as you could expect a soda bottle to be . . . which is as tight as the last person put the lid on!

Preforms are heated and blow-molded into the soda bottles you're used to seeing on the shelves. Check with your local bottler . . . however, you may have to go back downstream a bit to a sub-contractor that may be the one that actually takes the 'preforms', heats/blow molds them into shape and puts the label on.

Below is one that I've scuffed up with sandpaper, getting ready for paint . . .

CamoStep01.jpg

Cache On!

JohnTee

bung one in the freezer for a couple of weeks, that should indicate how well they will stand up to cold.

It's the repeated freeze/thaw that destroys things not just the length of time below freezing 26.gif

actually, with plastics, I think it's the UV exposure that is far more significant. It makes them go all brittle.

bung one in the freezer for a couple of weeks, that should indicate how well they will stand up to cold.

It's the repeated freeze/thaw that destroys things not just the length of time below freezing 26.gif

actually, with plastics, I think it's the UV exposure that is far more significant. It makes them go all brittle.

Which is why painting them can actually help prolong their life in the field. It is recommended by the manufacturers of expanding building foam that it is painted if it is exposed to the elements.

I like micros that have been cunningly camo'd, are in appropriate places and/or used as a stage of a multi. Don't get me started on "nano's in the woods" ....love'em even more (cause I'm weird :P )

Cust.

Hardly expensive or difficult to replace regularly though :D

Dave

Hmmm I might have to ask my diabetic friend at work about these!

Some diabetic strip containers are more waterproof than others......it depends on what blood tester is being used.

I use these as micros as they are free (diabeteic get all their prescriptions free of charge :huh::huh: ) and I spray them matt black.