caching in winter

We started caching in the winter, and loved it - no leaves on the trees, and it kept us nice and cool.

When summer came, we were completely unprepared for the searing heat (2006) and the NETTLES! :o

I much prefer caching in the winter. I also find it's the best time of year to set caches - as you know they won't be left uncovered by all the summer foliage dying away.

We started caching in the winter, and loved it - no leaves on the trees, and it kept us nice and cool.

When summer came, we were completely unprepared for the searing heat (2006) and the NETTLES! :o

I much prefer caching in the winter. I also find it's the best time of year to set caches - as you know they won't be left uncovered by all the summer foliage dying away.

I can't WAIT to cache this winter!!! I love the feeling of light snowfall around you at it seems like the outdoors is so much more peaceful!

There's a lot more activity in the summer particularly round the bank & school holidays.

Though its fun to set new caches over the Xmas period & watch the ensuing scramble to get a FTF from all those cachers sitting around needing to get out!

One of the best days out I had was running over the Saddleworth Moors through the snow to get a cache in the middle of nowhere.

Having a stamp through the winter may be a good investment as the fingers never function when writing logs. :-)

I enjoy walking/caching in winter - especially on those crisp, frosty mornings with blue skies.

However, because quite alot of my cache finds are whilst I am staying away on business (in the early evenings) - it is not so easy in the winter months.

.. so to answer the OP - Yes, my caching does slow down in winter.

PS - Mr Dewdrop ........ 'Butterfly cachers' ???

I've been amazed that, when I look at the caches I own, there is very little difference in finds between the seasons. Although this year has been a bit of an exception for some reason, I have previously seen a dip in finds during August which I guess is due to the fact that people are away on holiday (but not to Northwich!).

Good Point!!

There's a cache near us which we've had three attempts at but is fiercely guarded by a bunch of bolshy bovine beasties.

We'll come and hold your hand if you like :laughing:

Safety in numbers? :)

H&L

305661c3-edc6-41c9-aba2-84210911344d.jpg

Like these ones that we met recently. A bit of an arm wave and we caused a stampeed around the field.

About a year ago whern i first started caching i did about 5 then stopped..didnt enjoy much then. Started again this year and i am now well into it and theres no cache i will be stopping this winter! It does seem like caching slows down in winter..or maybe its just the bad weather wee are experiencing?

Sounds like you have it right. The image must be hosted somewhere online before inserting into the post. Imageshack is fine, I use photobucket if its not already somewhere else. You then use the Insert Image button in the Add Reply screen.

Ok thanks. shame they couldnt just allow attachments directly uploaded from the PC but then I supose it is a free service. :D

If you right-click on the image and select Properties you'll see that in this case it's hosted in the GC.com server so it's probably a link to a photo on a cache log.

It doesn't really matter where the image is hosted as you're just creating a link to it (termed Hotlinking).

I'm not sure that GC.com would like you putting images on a cache/log just to show them on a forum post though :D