60csx

jtstretch

The only issue is not the size of hte card, but the amount of segments that mapsource will allow you to load. I believe the segments is 2024, whic if you have City Navigator NT is enough to load the entire country. If you wish to have topo as well it exceeds the number of segments you can load. I believe the 2 meg card is sufficient for that.

The only issue is not the size of hte card, but the amount of segments that mapsource will allow you to load. I believe the segments is 2024, whic if you have City Navigator NT is enough to load the entire country. If you wish to have topo as well it exceeds the number of segments you can load. I believe the 2 meg card is sufficient for that.

I have a 2gig with all of cn2008 and about 1/3 of topo maps on it. Yes the biggest problems is the segment limit. As well i dont think 4 gig cards work in the unit.

I have a 2gig card in my 60CSX. I have all of PA, both in CN 2008 and Topo, plus some areas of VA. I have used very little of the 2gig space.

I see no reason to load maps for Calif, Texas, etc.....since I have no plans on going there any time in the near future.

I guess its a bragging right thing to say someone has the entire US loaded onto their GPS, but its not practical, IMHO.

Alright, here is some info for you.

The entire CNNA NT 2008 is 998 mb. It may or may not fit a 1gb card depending on how much "dead space" is taken up on the card.

On a 2 gb card you can fit all of CNNT 2008 plus a whole bunch of topos. I have all or part of 10 or 12 fairly large states. The problem you run into is that at a certain point you hit the segment limit. Garmin handhelds have 2025 segment limit. No matter how large your card you can only load that many segments.

If you are just loading Topos you will hit the segment limit long before you hit the capacity of a 2 gb card. you hit it at around 1 gb, although that will vary somewhat due to the variable sizes of the segments.

I guess its a bragging right thing to say someone has the entire US loaded onto their GPS, but its not practical, IMHO.

It may not be practical IYHO, but it is very practical for those of us that travel a lot. I don't have to worry about having the correct maps when I take a trip somewhere, I just grab the GPS and go, or hand the GPS off to my wife before she goes somewhere.

. . . As well i dont think 4 gig cards work in the unit.
There are mixed reports with 4GB micros. Some apparently require a hardware configuration which Garmin GPS units don't have. I would proceed with caution on any chip bigger than 2GB.

Edit to add:

Not all devices support microSDHC 4.0GB cards. Please contact your device manufacturer for details. To ensure compatibility, look for the microSDHC logo on the product or packaging of your new phone or PDA.
Edited by Sputnik 57