New traditions

Confucius' Cat

The sport seems to be gravitating toward micros. Argument will never stop regarding whether this is a good thing or bad (or even if it is really happening i suppose), but I propose that the evolution of the sport towards log only might actually have some benefits and perhaps we can brainstorm some new ways of making micros more interesting.

What brought this on is the constant discussion and rehashing in multiple threads about "religious items", "bad swag", "unfair trading", "inappropriate items in caches"... on and on and over and over again.

I see at least one redeeming feature to the micro- it stops pertineer all the quibbling about trading and cache contents.

As far as I am concerned, the essence of caching is to go to neat places and see neat things. Micros are sufficient for this. Ok so are Waymarks, but finding a container is still kinda like the "icing on the cake."

But without trading, our sport is basically letterboxing without the essential ART of making cool stamps and (usually) without the creativity of cryptic clues (which not all letterboxes have either).

Is there perhaps another tradition we might start, besides trading trinkets, that would be a unique aspect of the sport, garner broad-based interest, not be so controversial as trading, and work with any sized cache? A tradition like "stamping up" is to letterboxing?

*rotates can opener* *SPROING, SCHLUUUUP*

I enjoy the thrill of the hunt. Finding a micro in an area that requires stealth is good for me. The creativity of CCC and being able to do a sneaky hide right in front of your face is a bonus. The comments from caches that have found me caches are encouraging.

Most of the caches I have found so far consist of junk or all the shinny things are taken by the cache rats.

Is there perhaps another tradition we might start, besides trading trinkets, that would be a unique aspect of the sport, garner broad-based interest, not be so controversial as trading, and work with any sized cache? A tradition like "stamping up" is to letterboxing?

What about clever hides for regular and especially large boxes? At locations which at first glance doesn't support a big box? This can be an art too.

What brought this on is the constant discussion and rehashing in multiple threads about "religious items", "bad swag", "unfair trading", "inappropriate items in caches"... on and on and over and over again.

I see at least one redeeming feature to the micro- it stops pertineer all the quibbling about trading and cache contents.

Trading trinkets is only one element of geocaching. Folks have problems with locations and permission, too.

Sure, you can start removing elements of the hobby until there are no issues, but would there be a hobby left?

Letterboxing has its issues, too. Exploding ink pads, soggy logs, abandoned boxes, folks not blotting the stamp before tossing it back in the box, etc. Just to name a few.

Every hobby has issues. Geocaching is not alone. So, instead of trying to eliminate parts of it perhaps education, redirection, or accepting certain aspects are in order. Maybe?

Another critical distinction between letterboxing and geocaching are the online logs. In my humble opinion, the interaction between hiders and finders via the online logs is a key cause for why geocaching took off as a close-knit community of hobbyists, far more so than letterboxing.

Recently we had a very interesting thread in the Forums called The Lost Art of Logging. Many posted that they thought "TNLN, TFTC" was the expected norm. Many promised to try to write more descriptive logs. I think longer logs would be a good thing. For my part, I try to say something positive about every cache, to offer any criticism in a constructive manner, and to tell an interesting story if there's one to be told.

Perhaps we don't need new traditions so much as we need to do a better job with our existing traditions.

Why? I've found and placed numerous micros with cache contents.

Another critical distinction between letterboxing and geocaching are the online logs. In my humble opinion, the interaction between hiders and finders via the online logs is a key cause for why geocaching took off as a close-knit community of hobbyists, far more so than letterboxing.

I totally agree. The instant feedback encourages the placement of caches. I letterbox and geocache, yet I've placed over 200 geocaches and 0 letterboxes. I always meant to place a few LBs, but never get around to it.

When I place a container I invariably list it as a geocache. I think it's the online logs that are the difference to me. I know right away people are out there finding and enjoying my geocaches. With a letterbox I'd always be wondering, until I go and check the box. Even then there is usually just a stamp impression. Nothing about the adventure or whether they enjoyed themselves.

Is there perhaps another tradition we might start, besides trading trinkets, that would be a unique aspect of the sport, garner broad-based interest, not be so controversial as trading, and work with any sized cache?

How about we dance the Juba after every find? There are too many benefits to dancing the Juba after every find to go into and I think it would be a fantastic tradition to start.

Edited by briansnat
How about we dance the Juba after every find? There are too many benefits to dancing the Juba after every find to go into and I think it would be a fantastic tradition to start.

Hmmm....I thought everyone did that already. Though, I'll admit, after reading the 'official' method of dance, my 3 year old seems to have taken some liberty with some of the moves.

Recently we had a very interesting thread in the Forums called The Lost Art of Logging. Many posted that they thought "TNLN, TFTC" was the expected norm. Many promised to try to write more descriptive logs. I think longer logs would be a good thing. For my part, I try to say something positive about every cache, to offer any criticism in a constructive manner, and to tell an interesting story if there's one to be told.

Perhaps we don't need new traditions so much as we need to do a better job with our existing traditions.

For the most part, I try and write a descriptive log about my adventure or something that is relevant to the cache site....IF the cache is something that is what I consider worthy and interesting even if I didn't get my smily face. If it's something that is unimaginative, or takes me somewhere that shows me absolutely nothing...I simply write TNLNTFTC. I seem to be doing that a lot lately, unfortunately.

I have a Nightmare Micro Series and I have heard nothing but good things about my hides. I aimed at placing them for one in towns near me that don't have even one cache (until now) as well as making them as challenging as possible. The last hide in the series which I am working on now will be a multi stage micro that reflects on questions from other micros in the series. I will also be having unactivated geocoins for The FTF to the 4th finder.

To me it's all about the hunt, I don't do it for swag.

My kids want swag, we want a good walk, we use searching filters, we write good logs.

We changed our profile page to reflect how we want to cache and not just our stats.

We try to hide what we would enjoy seeking apparently some of our caches are quite a challenge and people feel a great sense of satisfaction when they find them.

We have in fact adopted the philosophy of trying to lead by example, some may follow some may not but if just one cacher follows this example its been worthwhile.

Fortunately we have recieved two emails about our profile and how they agree with it so far :unsure:

Another critical distinction between letterboxing and geocaching are the online logs. In my humble opinion, the interaction between hiders and finders via the online logs is a key cause for why geocaching took off as a close-knit community of hobbyists, far more so than letterboxing....

Exactly.

As for the OP. Traditions will evolve. I'll wait and see what comes along.

I think the solution to this problem (and many others) is action! If you like to find ammo cans... go hide some ammo cans. If you enjoy a walk and some beautiful scenery... choose your hide locations to reflect that. And if you love the trade items... leave something special at every cache you visit.

It really is the only way.

I had an idea that will probably become a fixture on my cache pages... A heading that says "Why Am I Bringing You Here?"... followed by a simple explanation. Beautiful scenery, historic location, great hike, to boost your find count.... etc.

DCC

Like it or not - one of the main reasons my kids LOVE to go Geocaching is to see all of those little trinkets in a box. What appears as useless junk to you or I - is a vast treasure to a child. I love seeing the anticipation and excitment as we crack the seal on those ammo boxes........

My 2 year old son is *just* about ready to start caching with me where he'll understand what we're doing. Right now when we cache he's pretty much along for the ride and enjoys whatever we do. For all he knows, when we get in the Jeep he might end up at grandma's, at the pool, at a cache, or at a restaurant.

But within the next year I'm sure he'll be to the point where I can tell him we're going to go caching and he'll understand we're off to find one of those boxes filled with "toys". At that point I'll probably stop doing micros with him in tow and filter them all out.

I'll still go after the micros when I'm by myself, or caching with KBI.

So I guess a new tradition for Mushtang and Jr. Pepper, will be the way we filter out the caches we don't want to look for.

I'm not sure if this would be a good idea or not for the micros that don't have much room but I thought about getting some of those little mini star stickers with different colors that teachers used to put on school work papers for kids and say red=excellent hide, blue=good hide, green=average hide, yellow=too easy a hide, etc. Each person would put a sticker next to their log entry to rate the cache which would encourage people to put thought into how they hide their micros?

I almost never do trades anyway, although I do enjoy watching geocoins and travel bugs move about. I could care less about the size of a cache. To me, there are only three things to a good cache: Location, location, and location.

If it is an area I would have never otherwise seen, it is a good cache. If it has a history lesson to go with it, it is a great cache. I'll take a micro at a historic or interesting site over an ammo can in a dump any day of the week.

I like finding trinkits. Sometime I find stuff that I not seen in some of the stores I visit. I also find things that are home made as well. Reciently I found a bookmmark that was made from 3 japanese postage stamps. It was very artisicly done. I have also fonund items that I would not have bought for myself because i never really saw the usefulness of said items but after carrying one around I discovered that it was useful. Some stuff is stuff that you can not find locally such as 1 £ poker chip. I don't have the finances to travel halfway around the world to get something like that.

Micros are also fun as well and it can be a real challange to get some of them. I have even DNFed one because I just could not manage to get it out with out getting caught by the muggles.

large cahces can be hid in novel ways as well. I tried three times to find a recent one before I found. The first two time I even looked right at it thinking "awe and ammo can could not find it there". Forunetly I am a bit stubborn and would not give up on it. I would have kept trying to find it until I died of old age.

You can also come up with other new ideas for caches. I am goinf to place a new cache next year at a school. Tho you will not have to worry about the kids as this school was torn down long ago and that is left of it is the foundation and an old well (covered) I have found out that one of the last kids to attend this oold school is still alive and I am going to go talk to him about the history of the old school. Then I am going to wirte it down on a sheet of laminated paper to include in the cache so people can learn a little about the history of the old one room schools in the area. I ave already learn stuff that I did not know.

John Z. Doe

I had an idea that will probably become a fixture on my cache pages... A heading that says "Why Am I Bringing You Here?"... followed by a simple explanation. Beautiful scenery, historic location, great hike, to boost your find count.... etc.

DCC

Excellent!

Maybe if that was a built in column, we would all give more thought to the intrinsic value of the location. It might prevent a few "lame" hides just because the placer is led to think about it.

I dont think bad swag, religious stuff, etc., etc. is even close to as much of a problem as we (on the forums regularly) thinkThe forums is where people bring up these issues even if they have never been here before. So the forums get a lot of threads dealing with bad swag, religious stuff, etc. If content cachers posted threads entitled "I'm a happy cacher and I've never seen anything I didn't like in caches" then we would have a more accurate view of how cachers see trade items. People don't post that "good" stuff and people usually post "bad stuff" and so the bad stuff is what we percieve to be the common issue.

It's kinda like how americans think that crime is getting worse when really crime is getting better. It's just that media coverage of crime is skyrocketing which warps our perception of the lowering crime rate.

Does that not make no sense?

I dont think bad swag, religious stuff, etc., etc. is even close to as much of a problem as we (on the forums regularly) thinkThe forums is where people bring up these issues even if they have never been here before. So the forums get a lot of threads dealing with bad swag, religious stuff, etc. If content cachers posted threads entitled "I'm a happy cacher and I've never seen anything I didn't like in caches" then we would have a more accurate view of how cachers see trade items. People don't post that "good" stuff and people usually post "bad stuff" and so the bad stuff is what we percieve to be the common issue....

Yes, you are correct. The television media provides a unrealistic view of reality, but only to interest people in watching it, as real life is much more boring. The same thing happens in here. I'm sure that if someone started a thread titled "My Dance of the Juba after I Found a Cache" and lots of people responded by posting pictures to it, there would be quite a few new cachers who would think it is what cachers commonly do (when in reality the amount is currently only about 30% to 40%)

Edited by 4wheelin_fool
I'm sure that if someone started a thread titled "My Dance of the Juba after I Found a Cache" and lots of people responded by posting pictures to it, there would be quite a few new cachers who would think it is what cachers commonly do (when in reality the amount is currently only about 30% to 40%)

I'd say it's nearly 50% in south Florida, but less than 10% in the western panhandle. One of those regional things.