HELP NEEDED TO CHOOSE?GPS

HATTSTER

;) Hi...Everyone 1st ide like to say hello this is my 1st post on here and im brand new to cacheing!!..i was walking in the lakedistrict 3weeks ago and observed someone cacheing..i also spotted the cache and thats what made me catch the geobug..im hooked!!..im wanting to buy a gps system but have a limited budget...so im torn between the etrex legend cx or hc....i know one has better sensitivity and the other has more memory (with cards) i already have memorymap software waiting..i know the hc has 24mb builtin memory and wanted to know how much this will hold..im realy stuck between more memory or better sensitivity...pleeeze help soon guys im raring to go and need the gps!!!....thnx again i await your veiws ;)

I wish I had seen this topic before I purchased my 2 GPSr units. I started out as cheap as possible, I found a store display model of a Magellan eXplorist 200 for under $100. It was good enough to get me hooked on the sport and realize that I wanted something a little better. I had always figured that Magellan was a good brand name due to their "NeverLost" fame with Hertz. Can anyone out there tell me why everyone seems to be chanting "GARMIN!", "GARMIN!", "GARMIN!"? Are the Garmin units really that much better? Is this a matter of fact or personal preference (opinion)?

The reason I ask is that my 2nd GPSr was an upgrade to the 200 that I had originally purchased. Afterall, I had already become familiar with the Magellan UI and I didn't really care to relearn a new one. I got an eXplorist 500LE which had several improvements over my 200 (color screen, USB PC hook-up, SD memory expandability and Geocaching software). These features attracted me to this unit, but I ran into a reception problem with this brand new unit (still in the box with all the stuff that I never got with my first purchase). I was a little upset, so I took it back to the store and exchanged it for another 500LE thinking that this was just a bad unit. Afterall, my little runt 200 had never lost the tracking signal in about a month of use (pun was unintentional and discovered upon proof reading). Needless to say I am now closely watching how the replacement 500LE behaves. If this one drops my signal, I will be forced to change brands (and learn a new UI I guess). Or should I wait for the Triton 2000? Should I go to Garmin? What's the concensus?

I wish I had enough money to buy them all and pick the best one!

Thanks,

i know the hc has 24mb builtin memory and wanted to know how much this will hold..im realy stuck between more memory or better sensitivity...pl

Both the Legend HCX and Legend CX have expandable map memory. You might be confusing them with the Venture HC which has 24 megs of fixed memory and Venture CX which has expandable map memory.

24 megs of map memory isn't a lot, so depending on your planned use you may find it lacking. If you want to use it for autorouting in your car, running City Navigator and you live in a major population center, you won't get much coverage. Perhaps a county or two.

If you live in Montana, Maine, Alaska, etc... , 24 megs would probably cover the entire state and then some using City Navigator. You'd get similar coverage using Mapsource Topo.

Hi...i live in the lakedistrict uk...im just wondering if ill need memory over the better antenna?...ive just read some posts saying its not upto much..have to be goin fast to track you??..if i went with the hc ide have fixed memory....and the cx ide have expandable memory..im really wanting to get all your opinions on which you all find more valuable...the memory from cx or better reception from the hc models...a hcx model is outta my budget,,please air your views.. by the way im using it for geocacheing only i think..but want a mapable one..something im not gonna want to upgrade to quikly..regards Hattster

Edited by HATTSTER

Hi...i live in the lakedistrict uk...im just wondering if ill need memory over the better antenna?...ive just read some posts saying its not upto much..have to be goin fast to track you??..if i went with the hc ide have fixed memory....and the cx ide have expandable memory..im really wanting to get all your opinions on which you all find more valuable...the memory from cx or better reception from the hc models...a hcx model is outta my budget,,please air your views..regards Hattster

The "H" model os defenitly the better unit. You will lock onto and maintain the signal under conditions that the older units will be lost.

I agree with Briansnat that you seem to be looking at the Venture HCx vs the Legend HCx- or some other versions of the Legend and Venture units. Can you tell us the exact models you are trying to compare?

Bottom line - the Legend HCx goes for about $220 US and the Venture HCx goes for about $170 US. The better memory and routable mapping make the Legend the clear winner except for price.

I really like the Legend HCx - I like it a lot!

Hi...its the etrex legend cx or the etrex venture hc here in the uk i can buy either for about 200 pounds..alot dearer over here m8..thats why im being very choosey as this is a 1 time buy for the minute!! thnx again ive been told the legend comes with a card and a cable whereas the venture doesnt ;)

Edited by HATTSTER
you seem to be looking at the Venture HCx vs the Legend HCx-

There is no Venture HCx There is a Venture CX with expandable memory and the older receiver and the Venture HC with the high sensitivity receiver but 24 megs of fixed memory.

Hi...i live in the lakedistrict uk...im just wondering if ill need memory over the better antenna?.

I'm not familiar with the terrain in your area, but the all the Garmin C units have pretty good reception. The HC units have even better reception. If you aren't dealing with heavy tree cover over there, the Legend CX might

well have perfectly good reception for your needs. I know they work just fine under the very heavy leaf canopy here in the northeast US.

There is no Venture HCx There is a Venture CX with expandable memory and the older receiver and the Venture HC with the high sensitivity receiver but 24 megs of fixed memory.

;)

yea - thts what I meant. Sorry...

The venture "H" - has no expandable memory - ( the "x")

Hi...its the etrex legend cx or the etrex venture hc here in the uk i can buy either for about 200 pounds..alot dearer over here m8..thats why im being very choosey as this is a 1 time buy for the minute!! thnx again ive been told the legend comes with a card and a cable whereas the venture doesnt

HMMMMM - ok - given those 2 units - you will have to decide how important routable mapping and expandable memory is versus the sensitivity.

Also the Legend Cx should be found at lower discount rates as the "H" models are now out and it is older technology.

I still vote for looking into the Legend "H" over the Venture "H". If you can afford it.

you guys are on the ball with replies..thnx.....here in the lakes the terrains mainly open..when in woods its mainly fir trees....i was in pensylvania (hope spelt right) a few years ago and our terrains nothing as deep..its nice to hear your opinion on the cx and it works under cover..ive been reading other posts about the "H" models problems with tracking properly and its made me think maybe the legend cx is gonna be ok for me??

you guys are on the ball with replies..thnx.....here in the lakes the terrains mainly open..when in woods its mainly fir trees....i was in pensylvania (hope spelt right) a few years ago and our terrains nothing as deep..its nice to hear your opinion on the cx and it works under cover..ive been reading other posts about the "H" models problems with tracking properly and its made me think maybe the legend cx is gonna be ok for me??

Given your description of the terrain - should work fine for you. The "H" won't add too much. Just hope you can find a little bit better deal.

:D Hi guys....i found out through garmin that the venture cx and legend cx are identical units exept ones grey the others yellow...the only thing that differs is the accesories that comes with it in the box!!! the legend gets the usb cable, 64mb micro sd cards and mapsource disk!!...the venture cx is just the unit on its own....so ive dloaded the map source software..got a usb cable and a 1 gig micro sd and a case for it and orderd the venture cx...hopefully should be here tommorrow..and because i have a cable and software already i got it all including next day delivery for £182 pounds 15 pounds cheeper than the legend and i have a 1 gig card instead of a 64mb plus case..lol...i bought it from globalpositioningsystems.com as when i went looking round the shops today it was priced at 199 pounds just for the venture cx alone and the legend cx was between 250-299 pounds depending where i went..so i think ive got a good deal!!..although not as good as if i was living in the states..you guys get things well cheap over there!!! :o

I also have a Venture Cx, and love it. I am looking at upgrading to a Vista HCx in the future.

C = Color

x = eXpandable

H = High sensitivity

S = Scientific

So now we know what all this means.

Cx = Color eXpandable (Venture Cx has no H chip)

HC = High Sensitivity Color (Venture HC no expandable memory)

HCx = High Sensitivity Color eXpandable (Vista HCx has it all)

CSx = Color Scientific eXpandable (Map 60CSx has it all, but instead of H chip has Sirf III)

I also have a Venture Cx, and love it. I am looking at upgrading to a Vista HCx in the future.

C = Color

x = eXpandable

H = High sensitivity

S = Scientific

So now we know what all this means.

Cx = Color eXpandable (Venture Cx has no H chip)

HC = High Sensitivity Color (Venture HC no expandable memory)

HCx = High Sensitivity Color eXpandable (Vista HCx has it all)

CSx = Color Scientific eXpandable (Map 60CSx has it all, but instead of H chip has Sirf III)

I always understood the S to = sensor, meaning that it has a sensor for the barometric altimeter and magnetic compass.

and orderd the venture cx..

For god's sake man, why? Send it back and buy the VistaHCx from eBay delivered to your front door with USPS express mail international (takes one week) for about £130 from ebay.com plus £30 for VAT and duty. Total £160 for the top of the range unit.

EDIT: don't forget that the x units have much better battery life, compare the VentureHC's 14 hours with the Venture Cx's 32 hours.

Edited by gallet

Hi...Everyone 1st ide like to say hello this is my 1st post on here and im brand new to cacheing!!..i was walking in the lakedistrict 3weeks ago and observed someone cacheing..i also spotted the cache<snip>

Which cache was it? Out of interest. :D

Hi jerryo ...no idea m8..ive searched this site and all i can find in honister pass is one of MEISMOOKs old archived ones....which is in a different location...this ones halfway along the pass on a scree??..if you can tell me which it is ide be very greatfull too..regards Hatts

and orderd the venture cx..

For god's sake man, why? Send it back and buy the VistaHCx from eBay delivered to your front door with USPS express mail international (takes one week) for about £130 from ebay.com plus £30 for VAT and duty. Total £160 for the top of the range unit.

EDIT: don't forget that the x units have much better battery life, compare the VentureHC's 14 hours with the Venture Cx's 32 hours.

Hi..thnx for that..lol....im very happy with the cx m8...found my 1st cache withit today about an hour after i unpacked the parcel...took me right to the cache with great accuracy and the signal strength from the satelites was full bars too...im not complaining!!! :D

Edited by HATTSTER

Hi...Everyone 1st ide like to say hello this is my 1st post on here and im brand new to cacheing!!..i was walking in the lakedistrict 3weeks ago and observed someone cacheing..i also spotted the cache<snip>

Which cache was it? Out of interest. :P

Hi jerryo ...no idea m8..ive searched this site and all i can find in honister pass is one of MEISMOOKs old archived ones....which is in a different location...this ones halfway along the pass on a scree??..if you can tell me which it is ide be very greatfull too..regards Hatts

Hi Jerryo...found it at last heres the link

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&numlogs=

1 question though?..because i found this by mistake before starting to geocache..can i still log it as a find..??? :P