Caches need archiving in 70454 zip code

kayakanimal

1. Write an e-mail to the cache owner, identifying the problem with the cache.

2. If there's no response, log a "needs archived" log on the cache page, identifying the problem with the cache and describing any prior efforts to fix the problem. A copy of this log is e-mailed automatically to the responsible volunteer cache reviewer(s) for the area.

Been done.

2. If there's no response, log a "needs archived" log on the cache page, identifying the problem with the cache and describing any prior efforts to fix the problem. A copy of this log is e-mailed automatically to the responsible volunteer cache reviewer(s) for the area.

Been done.

Been done.

Been done.

You might try writting a polite email directly to the area's reviewer, include the cache ID numbers or urls and ask them to look into it. If they have a large/busy area they may have a large backlog of stuff to do (review new caches, review declined caches that have been changed/fixed, look at caches that are disabled or have SBA logs, clear lost TBs off pages, answer direct email message,etc.) , a personal message might bring the problem caches back to the 'top' of the pile.

Been done.

Been done.

3. Have patience and give the cache owners some time to respond after contacting them and/or posting SBA notes on caches.

4. Wait more than 48 hours after contacting them and/or posting an SBA note for responses before posting a topic in the forums.

Keep in mind that people do have lives to lead. The cache owner might be out of town on business or pleasure. They might also have current family emergencies that take them away from email and the internet. Many things may take someone from email and the internet for some period of time.

I have seen your SBA notes, but they were only posted 48 hours before you posted this topic. I (the reviewer) was also out of town on family business (we have lives too). Be patient. I am sure if someone posted an SBA note on one of your caches you would appreciate and expect the same courtesy.

(Edited...highlighted your responses in the quoted text)

Edited by mtn-man

Been done.

Been done.

3. Have patience and give the cache owners some time to respond after contacting them and/or posting SBA notes on caches.

4. Wait more than 48 hours after contacting them and/or posting an SBA note for responses before posting a topic in the forums.

Keep in mind that people do have lives to lead. The cache owner might be out of town on business or pleasure. They might also have current family emergencies that take them away from email and the internet. Many things may take someone from email and the internet for some period of time.

I have seen your SBA notes, but they were only posted 48 hours before you posted this topic. I (the reviewer) was also out of town on family business (we have lives too). Be patient. I am sure if someone posted an SBA note on one of your caches you would appreciate and expect the same courtesy.

(Edited...highlighted your responses in the quoted text)

This thread reminded me,,, i just posted a second SBA on an event cache that was held 11 months ago.

Yes. Events should be disabled the day after the event ends and archived within 30 days. We have a couple of events here from 10 weeks ago that are still showing up in PQs.

Actually, the guidelines say an event should be archived within 4 weeks, but I do know what you mean about them appearing in the PQs. I see no reason in keeping one open that long considering that you can still log it after it's been archived.

Also remember that the reviewer does not have to archive the cache just because a SBA was posted. They will look over the cache and decide to archive or leave it alone.

Don't get me wrong...I am not upset in the least. I know things happen...there were 2 or 3 of those caches that had a previous (2 week old) log SBA.

I just moved here from FL...when I let my caches lapse there someone (reviewer) would let me know that I "should" do something about it.

Some of these have had DNF's from January of this year with owners that don't log in any more.

I know some cachers around here would like to put new caches in some of these nice spots if others don't/can't maintain their current ones.

I just wanted to make sure these didn't "fall thru the cracks"

Thanks,

Kayakanimal

Edited by kayakanimal

Actually, the guidelines say an event should be archived within 4 weeks, but I do know what you mean about them appearing in the PQs. I see no reason in keeping one open that long considering that you can still log it after it's been archived.

A pocket query of active caches will show past events. To prevent this, an event can be disabled after it ends. I agree, archive past events within 4 weeks or 30 days, it's the same either way.

Don't get me wrong...I am not upset in the least. I know things happen...there were 2 or 3 of those caches that had a previous (2 week old) log SBA.

:o Ok now I see why nothing has been 'done'.

Unless there's some issue that needs to be address right away (like private property) be a bit more patient, IMO at least a month wait might be nice :D and more is usually practical.

Also remember that the reviewer does not have to archive the cache just because a SBA was posted. They will look over the cache and decide to archive or leave it alone.

I just moved here from FL...when I let my caches lapse there someone (reviewer) would let me know that I "should" do something about it.

Some of these have had DNF's from January of this year with owners that don't log in any more.

I know some cachers around here would like to put new caches in some of these nice spots if others don't/can't maintain their current ones.

Thanks,

Kayakanimal

Starting to smell 'ulterior motive' here. Hmm... New to the areas. Found some nice areas, but there are already caches there. So, get them archived so you can put out your own?

I'm not impress with "DNF from January with absent owners." That doesn't mean that the caches are in bad condition and need archiving.

Thanks,

Kayakanimal

Starting to smell 'ulterior motive' here. Hmm... New to the areas. Found some nice areas, but there are already caches there. So, get them archived so you can put out your own?

I'm not impress with "DNF from January with absent owners." That doesn't mean that the caches are in bad condition and need archiving.

HEY PEOPLE...you are trying to read WAY too much into this...trying to read stuff between the lines..

Two things them I'm done.

1. Guess I was just a little spoiled about the way caches were maintained where I came from.

2. Guess I will just keep my mouth shut from now on. Try to make tings a little better and see what happens.

Have a great day,

Kayakanimal

Thanks,

Kayakanimal

HEY PEOPLE...you are trying to read WAY too much into this...trying to read stuff between the lines..

Two things them I'm done.

1. Guess I was just a little spoiled about the way caches were maintained where I came from.

2. Guess I will just keep my mouth shut from now on. Try to make tings a little better and see what happens.

Have a great day,

Kayakanimal

You have to understand that not all cache reviewers do everything exactly the same way. I move every few years and I have experiance with multiple cache reviewers. The best thing to do is sit back and watch and see how the reviewer takes care of their area. I've seen everything from a reviewer that seemed to archive any cache the moment three DNFs in a row are logged to a reviewer that would leave a note on caches saying that the cache needs to be taken care of in x number of months or the cache will be archived and then then not get around to archiving the cache a number of months after they said they would archive it if it wasn't taken care of.

It sounds like you moved to an area with a more laid back cache reviewer. If I had to guess I'd say that you've moved to an area where there are more rural caches requiring longish hikes. If you move to area where it snows in the winter expect some caches to be ignored all winter long.

The one thing that I don't like is when I have a laid back reviewer and a reviewer that is quick with the archiving helps review the area for a week or so. All of a sudden lots of caches are being archived without any notice! If you are a reviewer and helping out in someone else's area and you are archiving a large number of caches that should clue you in to the fact that you might not be doing something right here. It is rare that a reviewer doesn't take care of their area.

Thanks,

Kayakanimal

I disagree.

DNFs (multiple, you quoted to sound like only one...see the OPs original statement) going back 9 months with a non-active owner is the perfect example of a cache that needs a SBA note.

Edited by Ed & Julie

You might try writting a polite email directly to the area's reviewer, include the cache ID numbers or urls and ask them to look into it. If they have a large/busy area they may have a large backlog of stuff to do (review new caches, review declined caches that have been changed/fixed, look at caches that are disabled or have SBA logs, clear lost TBs off pages, answer direct email message,etc.) , a personal message might bring the problem caches back to the 'top' of the pile.

I was not aware Reviewers could remove TBs from caches. Can we request this? There is a virtual cache here that someone logged a bug to and even said in the notes that it is the final log. He logged it to the virtual to hide it I guess? GC983B

Is there a way for the owner to kill the TB?

Since late 2003, cache owners, site admins, site volunteers, and trackable owners all have the ability to mark a trackable as missing from the cache page on which it's been dropped. This sends the trackable to an "unknown location" without affecting its mileage. Select the "Mark Item Missing" option from the menu at the upper right of the trackable's page. It's good form, if you're not the owner of the trackable, to leave a note on the page indicating that you did this. Here is the version of my form letter that I use when archiving a cache where either the entire cache or the trackable is clearly missing:

The cache that your trackable was last seen in has been archived. I am moving your trackable to an "unknown location." If it ever turns up again, the finder can grab it back without affecting the mileage. I am sorry that your trackable has stopped traveling.

Keystone

Geocaching.com Volunteer Cache Reviewer

Since late 2003, cache owners, site admins, site volunteers, and trackable owners all have the ability to mark a trackable as missing from the cache page on which it's been dropped. This sends the trackable to an "unknown location" without affecting its mileage. Select the "Mark Item Missing" option from the menu at the upper right of the trackable's page. It's good form, if you're not the owner of the trackable, to leave a note on the page indicating that you did this. Here is the version of my form letter that I use when archiving a cache where either the entire cache or the trackable is clearly missing:

The cache that your trackable was last seen in has been archived. I am moving your trackable to an "unknown location." If it ever turns up again, the finder can grab it back without affecting the mileage. I am sorry that your trackable has stopped traveling.

Keystone

So, since I am not the owner of either the cache or the TB, I would need to ask one of them to do it? I do not have that option you mention.

Keystone

So, since I am not the owner of either the cache or the TB, I would need to ask one of them to do it? I do not have that option you mention.

Thats because its only for "cache owners [of the cache the TB is listed in], site admins, site volunteers, and trackable owners [of the TB that's missing]".

Sometimes a quick email to the cache owner, or TB owner might get it fixed if they know about the option, and perhaps just hadn't noticed the TB is missing. OTOH they might not know about the ability to move them to unknow at all so asking them may just confuse them :P

Ahhhhh!!! Welcome to the world of Louisiana caching!! I thought I recognized that as a Louisiana zip code!

As some one who now lives in another state (Tennessee) but has caches in Louisiana (my mom lives in Thibodaux and I am a FREQUENT visitor) -- there is DEFINATELY a difference in cache maintenance philosophy among regions.

I too have been frustrated by the lack of maintenance notes and upkeep of caches in my home state of Louisiana. I have emailed cache owners in Lousiana asking them to check on their caches and get no response!! Or I'll get an email stating they would check on it but then no response via email on the cache page.

THERE ARE CACHES THAT HAVE BEEN DISABLED SINCE 2005 with no maintenance!!!

About a year ago HENKI, a Louisiana based cacher, made a great attempt to post notes on cache pages asking owners on disabled caches or on cachers not found (with DNFs) in the past two years to bring this issue to the owners attention. And yet, the caches are still there in the same status!!!

Don't get me wrong -- I know Hurricane Katrina affected a lot of caches and a lot of lives including my relatives and that was a perfectly valid reason for a period of time but this is getting ridiculous!! Even 6 months of a cache being disabled WITHOUT a note should be grounds for automatic archiving!

There are a LOT of cache owners in Louisiana that do maintain their caches but there are a lot who don't!

Wish I could help but I even compiled a bookmark list of needs maintenance caches about 3 years ago and there are STILL caches that have not been looked at...

Here are some examples:

GCGMVX

GC89D8

GCGAW8

this cache even had 2 SBAs posted in 2005 and it is STILL UNAVAILABLE: GCCCDA

GCKCJH

I posted a SBA on this one in July -- GCN2GN

FYI of the 30 total caches that are not mine within 20 miles of my mom's house, 10 have been temporarily disabled since 2006 or have not been found with mutliple DNFs posted since 1996!!! That's 33%!!!

How frustrating is this for new cachers in the area that see these caches near them and get frustrated because they are not there but still showing as active. Louisiana is NOT a cache dense state so its not like someone can find another cache less than a mile away!

Sorry -- but I am with kayakanimal. If the guidelines are there, then they need to be applied fairly across the board. If mtn-man (you know I think you are a great person) needs some help in getting Louisiana "cleaned-up" then, PLEASE send some help!

Sorry -- but I am with kayakanimal. If the guidelines are there, then they need to be applied fairly across the board. If mtn-man (you know I think you are a great person) needs some help in getting Louisiana "cleaned-up" then, PLEASE send some help!

Agreed, the caches the previous poster quoted are no-brainers really, there is no reason why these haven't been archived.

Over here in the UK we have 3 reviewers, handling nearly 22,000 active caches. They all handle disabled caches in the same way.

Generally they give a disabled cache 4 to 6 months before they start to post reminders, then they usually give a month or so before archiving if no action has been taken.

I'd estimate that after a few reminders, a third are fixed, a third are archived by their owner, and the other third are archived by the reviewers.

If the owner of a cache with a problem hasn't logged into gc.com for 6 months or more, despite needs maintainance logs during that time, it's pretty much held over here that they've abandoned the sport.

Perhaps a discussion over in the reviewers private forum would be of benefit here?

Of the 6 caches you listed, only 2 have had Needs Archived logs posted. There's simply no way for a reviewer to be aware of them. The one has Needs Archived logs from 2005! Those haven't been emailed to a reviewer lately. If a cache really seems to need archiving, log a Needs Archived. Then do it again in a couple of weeks/months. The reviewer may get behind, may be traveling, handling emergencies or otherwise lose track of those.

Louisiana and the other Gulf Coast states suffered enormously through the hurricanes, a tough area to do cache listing clean up.

Of the 6 caches you listed, only 2 have had Needs Archived logs posted. There's simply no way for a reviewer to be aware of them. ... Louisiana and the other Gulf Coast states suffered enormously through the hurricanes, a tough area to do cache listing clean up.

No offense to you palmetto, but I don't "buy" those statements.

"There's simply no way for a reviewer to be aware of them" -- meaning caches that have been temp disabled for months??? Hmm, well then how come my local reviewers in Tennessee and KY post notes to caches on a REGULAR basis to caches that have been temp disabled for over a month and then archive them after 2 months if no notes have been posted to the cache page. How are they doing that???? Ahh, with simple PQs of temp disabled caches -- it's not that difficult. I'm not a reviewer and that's how I came up with a bookmark list (3 years ago) of caches that needed attention in Louisiana.

"Louisiana and the other Gulf Coast states suffered enormously through the hurricanes, a tough area to do cache listing clean up." There has been some slack for the coastal area and that is fine. My aunt and uncle in NO were displaced for 11 months (house had to be gutted) and my cousins house flooded so I have been personally affected. BUT A LOT of these were an issue BEFORE Katrina! Also, check the locations -- some are even "up north", ie. Shreveport, Monroe, Alexandria area. I only listed about 6 on this post but there are too many others to list. Want my bookmark list?

Talk to the locals here including my reviewers, my life has been crazy for the past few months and I have slacked on issues related to geocaching this year, so I can perfectly understand how things can get in the way of geocaching BUT my issue is the FAIR and CONSISTENT application of policy. So if there are personal issues with any reviewer, then work as a team to help out so that everyone is treated fairly!

Edited by LSUMonica

Actually, there is not policy that says we should cruise the site looking for caches that are disabled. There is no policy that says they can't do it either. Some do it and some don't. It is a choice. If this is such a huge issue for you, I will look at all caches there for you. It is as simple as a PQ.

Regarding the 2005 SBA notes, they were not emailed to reviewers at that time. The lack of response to those old notes is why we changed that. Regarding the one from July 8, GCN2GN, I don't understand how I missed that one. I have the email as "read" in that folder, so it was a mistake on my part somehow. Maybe I double clicked on "next"? My mistake. You will notice that the other two caches you posted SBA notes on in June have been archived.

I didn't think this would cause as much uproar as it has.

I just thought:

1. A cache has MULTIPLE dnf's

2. More than 1 SBA

3. The owner has not logged in in over 1 year

4. Doesn't respond to postings/emails

Archive it. If they want to bring it back then the review can still do that.

If it were mine, archive it. I would rather have a caching environment with some real caches around than LOTS missing.

I also know/agree that the reviewers do a lot of thanks-less work with the caches. I take my hat off to them! Is there a better way to suggest a cache need to be archived? What is a cacher to do?

Very kind post, and I thank you. You are right on the money, but you can also email the reviewer for the area directly. If you look at some of the caches linked in LSUMonica's post, you will see my archive note basically says that they are easy to bring back if replaced.

There are were 202 disabled caches in LA. Now that I am back from my Dallas business trip, I have already run through some of them and archived them (did some oldest ones while in my hotel). Some of these cache owners are very active users. I have begun to email them to give them a nudge to get things going with their disabled caches. I have a feeling that LSUMonica calling them out in the public forum will not be well received by the local community.

I do hope you are arranging to adopt out or provide some sort of maintenance plan for your caches back in Florida. I am sure you would not want someone to call you out in the forums someday.

I have a feeling that LSUMonica calling them out in the public forum will not be well received by the local community....I am sure you would not want someone to call you out in the forums someday.

I am not calling out any Louisiana or other cacher and this was not the intent of my post. The intent was to agree with kayakanimal that there needs to be some serious review of the caches in Louisiana, to provide RANDOM specific examples of the issue, and if necessary, a nudge from official sources to perform maintenance.

Obviously, the notes and emails by Henki and myself to individual cachers over the past few years have not done the trick. I too would much rather hunt caches that are there then ones that are not. In addition, this is not the best environment for newcomers to our sport when caches are not maintained.

Don't get me wrong -- the reviewers have a thankless job, and I know many of you personally, like you all (for the most part :) ) and thank you for your work.

If you know me well, you know my issue is fair and consistent application of policy -- if this is done across all states than I am fine with that.

And as I said, this is not a policy. It is something some reviewers do and some don't. It is a choice. It is a deal where the guidelines say "may be" and not "will be".

Ironically, Henki has one cache disabled for almost three months. In another sense of irony, it is named "Forgotten, but Not Gone". :) Kind of funny.

Edited by mtn-man

Very kind post, and I thank you.

I do hope you are arranging to adopt out or provide some sort of maintenance plan for your caches back in Florida. I am sure you would not want someone to call you out in the forums someday.

I do thank all of the reviewers for their help. If you ever need halp with anything in this area I would be more than happy to help.

Yes...my Dad lives in the area and will cehck any cache as needed.

Thanks MTN-Man

Kayakanimal