Q: How to generate .prc file for palm through pocket query?

Mcnster & Claud

Hi,

I've been geocaching for just over 2 years, and lately I discovered that there is no longer any option to include a .prc file when defineing a pocket query. Indeed the .zip file mailed to me after the query is generated contains only a .gpx of waypoints, and no .prc of cache descriptions. :blink:

They call me a technologist, but I just can't seem to fiigure out the new way of generating cache descriptions for upload into my Palm.

Can someone hit me with a clue stick, please? Thanks. ;)

- mcnster & claud -

I am new to using a Palm to cache with but what I have been having to do is load the pocket query and gpx files into GSAK and then generate a pdb file to export into my Palm. I hope someone knows of a way to export the files directly into the Palm.

What's wrong with using GSAK? It does that and so much more really neat geocaching stuff.....and you've already got it figured out. :blink:

I am new to using a Palm to cache with but what I have been having to do is load the pocket query and gpx files into GSAK and then generate a pdb file to export into my Palm. I hope someone knows of a way to export the files directly into the Palm.

You can't put them directly onto the palm without some other program residing on the Palm to manage the database (the pdb file). The most commonly used program on the Palm seems to be Cachemate. Using it along with GSAK makes a complete caching system for your handheld.

JD

Edited by JDandDD

[ I found this website to be very helpful .

This person suggested gpx spinner and Plucker and nicely describes how to use them .

I just got a used palm yesterday and I was able to do this with only mild frustration .1ST time using a palm also.

http://www.geocacher-u.com/resources/paperless.html

The Plucker reader, for the Palm, works fine. But the Plucker converter can hang up if there are any characters in the cache name or description it doesn't like. Instead, use Sunrise XP to create the Palm upload. I've never seen it fail.

I was using mobipocket but after the server went down and the option was removed, I have gone to cachemate. It costs a few dollars but it is easy to use. All you have to do is load the .gcx file into the convertor program that comes with cachemate and it will send the data to your palm. I really like this program a lot more then mobipocket.