State of Arizona Cache Placement Requirements?

orovalleysam

Does someone know where I can get a document listing various considerations, procedural requirements, and contacts for all the various government entities etc. that come into play, when contemplating a cache placement in Arizona? For example various public parks, ie, BLM areas, County, State, National organizations, State Trust Land, as well as any other existing protected area designations? What are specific Do's and Don'ts and restrictions to placing caches in the State of Arizona?

(disclaimer: I'm not from Arizona, but I've cached there on vacation) Also, I believe caching may be prohibited on Navajo lands, which encompass a good portion of the northeast corner of the state. At least I remember hearing something to that effect, and I don't recall seeing any caches hidden there. Maybe someone with more authority could back me up?

For BLM Land in AZ:

Geocaching may become a management concern for BLM if it jeopardizes public health and safety, causes environmental damage, or conflicts with other authorized uses.

You can avoid concern about establishing a cache by contacting the local BLM office to identify the intended location and request authorization. BLM will be happy to check that the proposed cache location:

Is not near a known archaeological site

Will not interfere with threatened or endangered species habitat

Will not conflict with other land uses

Is not hazardous

Requires no other special considerations

Being new to AZ I am certainly not an authority on the rules and regulations and how they apply to geocaching. State Trust Land can be used for recreational activities. I have not yet found a reference to geocaching but here is the site for approved activities:

http://www.land.state.az.us/programs/natur...tion_permit.htm

Regardless of whether a permit is required to PLACE a geocache, one IS required to used the land. Having been on STATE land, many places appear well used, as mentioned some of the land is leased (ranching, mining,...) and one can not interfere with those activities. That said, I see lots of dirt bikes and ATVs, hiking and geocaching. I also see lots of trash which is sad.

Does someone know where I can get a document listing various considerations, procedural requirements, and contacts for all the various government entities etc. that come into play, when contemplating a cache placement in Arizona? For example various public parks, ie, BLM areas, County, State, National organizations, State Trust Land, as well as any other existing protected area designations? What are specific Do's and Don'ts and restrictions to placing caches in the State of Arizona?

PM me about specifics . I can either give you a good answer or point you in the right direction.

I really hate to see caches placed improperly or without the proper permission ( if required)

Arizona's rules are pretty much the same as other places.

Wilderness areas - not allowed. This is very much enforced in AZ

Indian Reservations - depends on the tribe. In Arizona, pretty much not allowed.

BLM - some of the districts would like you to contact them first. This is mostly to ensure that the cache is not placed in a archeological sensitive area.

State trust lands. Get the annual permit, and if you place a cache on state trust lands, be sure to include that in your cache listing.

If you have question about a specific area, send an e-mail to RoadRunner@GeocachingAdmin.com

Hope that helps.

This is an example of what I would like to see provided for Arizona cachers.

Please go to following address, of a Virginia reviewer (Dot Plotter), to view what was made available, in her profile. Can someone, in the know, summarize and make available a similar outline of requirements for Arizona cachers?

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/Default....ba-19dbabb353fd

Sorry, do not know to set up a Link!

I am an Arizonian, living in Sierra Vista. I have one active cache on BLM land (San Perdro National Riparian Region). If you follow the published rules for geocaching you should not have problems placing caches. There may be specific places that public land managers do not want caches. Th reasons are generally environmentally sensitive or archeological. If you call the land manager you will be surprised how cooperative they are.

Recently the Arizona Land Trust ordered all caches on their lands be archived. I suspect cache placement abuse to be the problem. Between Sierra Vista and Tucson there are several geo-art cache collection. One has 182 caches. In another area there are 5 geo-arts in a small area. If the geo-artists did not contact the AZ Land Trust I can understand why they ordered the archiving. Geo-art is an interesting concept but I can understand why they are not appreciated. (I have found geo-art caches.)

If we in the caching community want to keep public land available we need to follow the rules Groundspeak established.

As for the AZ Land Trust situation. Perhaps we can request reconsideration. Geocache reviewers need to ruthlessly apply the rules. Groundspeak should add "No Geo-art" to the rules.