.IMG FILES

WILIFE1978

I HAVE BOUGHT A NEW VISTA HCX AND AM TRYING TO LOAD .IMG MAP FILES ON TO A SD CARD. AFTER I LOAD THEM I CHECK THE CARD INFO AREA AND THE GPS SEE'S THE DATA BUT NOT AS MAP DATA, BUT AS MISC. DATA. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG, HOW DO I VIEW THE MAPS? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT.

Aren't you using MapSource to compile them and send them to your unit? I assume you have some mapping package, either purchased or home made. You need to select the map segments you want to use with the map tool. After you have selected the segments, send them (in MapSource) to 1) the GPS which is connected to the PC OR 2) the card which is in a card reader.

You cannot send the maps segments directly to the card, you need to use some intermediate software like MapSource or SendMap.

Edited by Klatch

On Garmin GPSrs the maps consist of two files: one for the basemap (GMAPBMAP.IMG) and one for all other maps (GMAPSUPP.IMG). Any other .img file in the GPSr is simply ignored. So if you want to combine another map into the GMAPSUPP.IMG file, then you have to copy this file off into the computer, combine it with the other .img files using a tool such as Mapsource or Sendmap. Once the new GMAPSUPP.IMG file has been created, it can be placed into the folder called Garmin on the memory card.

Two more things to know: Be sure to include your unlock code for any locked maps that will be in this new file, even if that unlock code was already in there to start with (Mapsource does that automatically; in sendmap that needs to done each time. And also make sure you don't have the same map id code on two segments; that too will cause trouble.

I used Sendmap and combined my .IMG files and called them GMAPSUPP.img and then sent them to my SD card. The map size now shows up on the card info screen on myGPSr. But does not show up anywhere else.It does not show up as a map to use or chose. Your info has been of great help but do you why the map itself will not show up on my GPSr.

On Garmin GPSrs the maps consist of two files: one for the basemap (GMAPBMAP.IMG) and one for all other maps (GMAPSUPP.IMG). Any other .img file in the GPSr is simply ignored. So if you want to combine another map into the GMAPSUPP.IMG file, then you have to copy this file off into the computer, combine it with the other .img files using a tool such as Mapsource or Sendmap. Once the new GMAPSUPP.IMG file has been created, it can be placed into the folder called Garmin on the memory card.

Two more things to know: Be sure to include your unlock code for any locked maps that will be in this new file, even if that unlock code was already in there to start with (Mapsource does that automatically; in sendmap that needs to done each time. And also make sure you don't have the same map id code on two segments; that too will cause trouble.