How to get 32 good AA batteries for about 7 bucks

Sparrowhawk

It would be much more cost effective, though less fun, to simply take all of your old dead batteries to Psycho Urban #9 and leve them there for a minute or two.

After the glow dies down, they'll be even better charged than they were new.

The final stage of Psycho Urban Cache #9 - Hot Glowing Tribulations would likely NOT be of assistance here. Actually, the reality is that research has consistently shown that the total capacity in AH (ampere-hours) of most 1.5 volt cells employing zinc-carbon or alkaline cell (including alkaline/lithium) technology is significantly and seriously diminished by exposure to high levels of ionizing radiation. The reason is quite simple: the incident ionizing radiation induces formation of numerous oxidative free radicals within the cell media, and many of those free radicals then initiate runaway cascade oxidative "chain reactions" that destroy even more media and also damage surfaces of metallic electrodes, thus "aging" the cell and reducing its total charge capacity. There is no evidence that an already-depleted cell will be "rejuventated" or recharged by exposure to high levels of ionizing radiation, and, in fact, the model which describes decreased cell charge capacity due to incidence of such ionizing radiation also predicts that an already-depleted cell would, upon exposure to high levels of ionizing radiation, simply exhibit an even greater drop in no-load potential voltage at its terminals and concomitant further reduction in total charge capacity measured in terms of AH; this makes intuitive sense as well. However, thank you for raising this possibility for consideration.

You seriously should check your sources, dude!

The above highly technical drivel totally disregards the flux capacitance of a modern manganese dioxide - halogen battery structure.

It can be shown by the formula AH = (delta) Y * Pi (squared) Beta gamma (squared)

(where AH= Ampere hours (in Joules) and Y= Atomic index (in Vernes) (source AEC publication #335-1 paragraph 4b) that the incidence of gamma rays on the beta particles within the halogen molecules exponentially increases the saturation of SLAVE radicals in the manganese ions that are encased in the halogen substrate.

i charge my AA's this way all the time.

...I have been told that tearing apart a 9v battery will provide 6 smaller batteries and opening a 12v remote control battery will provide 8 button batteries.

Also, I noticed more and more DIY videos coming out that are outright spoofs of the real thing. This smells like one.

True on the 9V, that i've done. Too small to be useful. The 12V battery trick is a hack you can use to modify a mini mag to put out a heck of a lot more light.

I don't recall taking apart a6V battery but it would not at all suprise me to find it's made up of smaller batteries wired in series/parallel or a combination. AA's are entirly possible, so are D's. I just took apart my dead cordless drill battery pack since that was discontinued. No good. Smaller than C so I can't make my own new pack. I had to toss the drill. What a waste. Especially since even if I did make my own it's still cheaper for me to buy a new drill (Harbor Freight version).

well, i guess i'm the first. it looks like no one has taken one apart yet. i opened one today and inside there was for batteries. not D-cell. they were the diameter of C-cell's but twice the height. after reading earlier posts, i guess i should look for the(mAh) or whatever, and make sur that it is correct. that should solve the problem

well, i guess i'm the first. it looks like no one has taken one apart yet. i opened one today and inside there was for batteries. not D-cell. they were the diameter of C-cell's but twice the height. after reading earlier posts, i guess i should look for the(mAh) or whatever, and make sur that it is correct. that should solve the problem

don't waste your time or money. the flik is a hoax (full stop)

$20 is exactly what I paid for 2 rechargeable batteries + charger (with car adapter) at Wally World. ;)

Or, spend $31 on ebay for 24 Tenergy AA Nimh AA batteries, delivered. Includes six plastic battery cases, each holds four batteries. No charger in the deal, though those are available on enay, too.

It can be shown by the formula AH = (delta) Y * Pi (squared) Beta gamma (squared)

(where AH= Ampere hours (in Joules) and Y= Atomic index (in Vernes) (source AEC publication #335-1 paragraph 4b) that the incidence of gamma rays on the beta particles within the halogen molecules exponentially increases the saturation of SLAVE radicals in the manganese ions that are encased in the halogen substrate.

Hey, I was gonna say that.

Has anyone else who has shown the slightest interest in this thread and the topic of cells and batteries been watching Modern Marvels on the History Channel (8 PM EDT)? It is all about batteries! :unsure:

Much more interesting than the previous hour about 'paint'. :unsure:

I actually watched the paint one and kinda liked it. I missed the battery one.

One extremely well-kept secret of the battery world is a method for producing approximately 93 AA alkaline cells from one AA alkaline cell. Although I am running the risk of lawsuits from various battery manufacturers who wish to keep this secret buried, here goes:

• procure one fresh and unused high quality AA alkaline cell; really high-end cells work best
  • rinse the AA cell under kitchen tap to clean it of any oils or dirt
  • fill a container of about 3 quarts to 1 gallon (128 ounces) in size about 1/3 full of warm water of about 110 to 115 degrees F; do NOT use a container smaller than 3 quarts or you will have an overflowing mess on your hands!
  • drop the single fresh and unused AA alkaline cell in the water and allow it to sink to the bottom.
  • over the next two days, the cell will absorb water and will slowly swell, and eventually the outer metal shell will crack cleanly and neatly, and 92 to 96 baby alkaline cells will emerge. Allow them to remain in the water and within one hour they will grow to standard AA size.
  • once the baby cells have reached full AA size (it takes about an hour after they "hatch" from the first-generation AA cell), it is okay to remove the cells from the water and allow them to dry.
  • please note that these second-generation AA alkaline cells cannot be used to "breed" more cells; only first-generation AA alkaline cells from a reputable manufacturer can be used in the "breeding" procedure described above.
  • once cells have dried, label them with a bit of masking tape as second generation AA alkaline cells. Or, if economy is not an issue, feel free to print labels for them on your printer and affix one label to each AA cell.
  • Thats it! You are done! Congratulations! :unsure:
  • please be advised that while you are allowed under the law to multiply a first-generation AA alkaline cell in this manner, it is a violation of US and international patent law to try to sell the second-generation cells (aka the "baby cells") or to use them for trade or barter.

This method is quite foolproof and reliable, so long as you use only really high-quality AA alkaline cells and so long as they are fresh and unused. Most folks report the most consistent and best results using AA Eveready Energizer Energizer Alkaline E2 Titanium Technology cells, but I once used this method successfully while traveling in southern India, employing really low-quality AA alkaline cells, and it worked, although not as well as when using high-quality alkaline cells.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

One extremely well-kept secret of the battery world is a method for producing 93 AA alkaline cells from one AA alkaline cell. Although I am running the risk of lawsuits from various battery manufacturers who wish to keep this secret buried, here goes:

• procure on fresh and unused high quality AA alkaline cell; really high-end cells work best
  • rinse cell under kitchen tap to clean it of any oils or dirt
  • fill a container of about 3 quarts to 1 gallon (128 ounces) in size about 1/3 full of warm water of about 110 to 115 degrees F; do NOT use a container smaller than 3 quarts.
  • drop the single alkaline cell in the water and allow it to sink to bottom.
  • over the next two days, the cell will absorb water and will slowly swell, and eventually the outer metal shell will crack cleanly and neatly, and 92 to 96 baby alkaline cells will emerge. Allow them to remain in the water and within one hour they will grow to standard AA size.
  • once the baby cells have reached full AA size (it takes about an hour after they "hatch", it is okay to remove the cells from the water and allow them to dry.
  • please note that these second-generation AA alkaline cells cannot be used to "breed" more cells; only first-generation AA alkaline cells from a reputable manufacturer can be used in the "breeding" procedure described above.
  • once cells have dried, label them with a bit of masking tape as second generation AA alkaline cells.
  • Thats it! You are done! Congratulations! :unsure:

This method is quite foolproof and reliable, so long as you use only really high-quality AA alkaline cells and so long as they are fresh and unused. Most folks report the most consistent and best results using AA Eveready Energizer Energizer Alkaline E2 Titanium Technology cells, but I once used this method successfully while traveling in southern India, employing really low-quality AA alkaline cells, and it worked, although not as well as when using high-quality alkaline cells.

SWEET THANK YOU!!! I am going to try this tonight!!! :blink:

Of course I might end up with a trip to the ER with some Acid burns but it will save me $4!!!! :unsure:

Has anyone else who has shown the slightest interest in this thread and the topic of cells and batteries been watching Modern Marvels on the History Channel (8 PM EDT)? It is all about batteries! :blink:

Much more interesting than the previous hour about 'paint'. :unsure:

I actually watched the paint one and kinda liked it. I missed the battery one.

Eh, the paint one was like watching it dry after the first 30 minutes IMO, although I did enjoy the historical perspectives and how technology affected fine art. The battery one showed the world's largest battery storage system in Fairbanks AK. It's basically the backup system for the entire region's power grid. I guess things would get cold in a hurry there if there was a wintertime outage. :unsure:

One extremely well-kept secret of the battery world is a method for producing approximately 93 AA alkaline cells from one AA alkaline cell. Although I am running the risk of lawsuits from various battery manufacturers who wish to keep this secret buried, here goes:

• procure one fresh and unused high quality AA alkaline cell; really high-end cells work best
  • rinse the AA cell under kitchen tap to clean it of any oils or dirt
  • fill a container of about 3 quarts to 1 gallon (128 ounces) in size about 1/3 full of warm water of about 110 to 115 degrees F; do NOT use a container smaller than 3 quarts or you will have an overflowing mess on your hands!
  • drop the single fresh and unused AA alkaline cell in the water and allow it to sink to the bottom.
  • once the baby cells have reached full AA size (it takes about an hour after they "hatch" from the first-generation AA cell), it is okay to remove the cells from the water and allow them to dry.
  • once cells have dried, label them with a bit of masking tape as second generation AA alkaline cells. Or, if economy is not an issue, feel free to print labels for them on your printer and affix one label to each AA cell.
  • Thats it! You are done! Congratulations! :o
  • please be advised that while you are allowed under the law to multiply a first-generation AA alkaline cell in this manner, it is a violation of US and international patent law to try to sell the second-generation cells (aka the "baby cells") or to use them for trade or barter.

Why am I reminded of "Gremlins"?

I saw somewhere on the internet that you could take about 100 AA batteries, tape them together and make a 6V battery from them!

WOW!

Q: What is the SECOND most common sign of being a gullible person?

A: Having hairs growing from you knuckles

Q2: What is the MOST common sign of being a gullible person?

A2: LOOKING for hair on your knuckles (made you look!)

Edited by michigansnorkeler

:rolleyes: Okay, I'll admit it. I tried it. It's crap. I don't understand why everyone else wouldn't want to try it. I got had, big deal! So, here ya go everybody, IT IS NOT TRUE. I tried it with an Everyeady and an Energizer, No Dice. It suuuuurrrreeeee was a good video though! I love crap like that! :huh:

For some people it would be because they had taken one apart many years ago and knew better. :D

:( Okay, I'll admit it. I tried it. It's crap. I don't understand why everyone else wouldn't want to try it. I got had, big deal! So, here ya go everybody, IT IS NOT TRUE. I tried it with an Everyeady and an Energizer, No Dice. It suuuuurrrreeeee was a good video though! I love crap like that! :)
For some people it would be because they had taken one apart many years ago and knew better. :D
So, for those of us who never tried it, we're one up on the both of you!

:(:D:)

Edited by Too Tall John

Well, this thread really interested me and although I do not have a 6 volt lantern battery, I did have a 9 volt battery. I saw the video showing the 9 volt and also a 12 volt with button cells. I tore apart the 9 volt battery and LO AND BEHOLD there were 6 AAA batteries. This would be logical since 6 AAAs at 1.5 volts each would equal 9 volts. I have not yet made it home to be 100% sure they are identical size to over the counter AAAs and that the voltage is the same but they sure look it. At any rate, I really do not understand why some of you see this as a fake. I think in all probability it is true.......if you get the correct 6 volt battery. I will try this in the near future with a 6 volt battery just to see. Yes, I can purchase AAs relatively cheap but I would like to prove the skeptics wrong also. :)

Edited by groundhog123

I wonder at the capacity of those internal batteries.

Perhaps around 750mAh instead of 1000 or more. Unmarked is unidentified and possibly no better than dollar store AA's.

And on to rechargables NiMh's. Don't go to the el-cheapo ones, I've seen some that are 1500mAh or 2000mAh instead of the most powerful 2400mAh. I've even seen 750mAh of these which actually look like long AAA's but will fit anywhere an AA fits, you might want to wrap them with tape depending on the integrity of the battery compartment of your electronics. But of course these will last at most not even 1/3 as long as regular AA's.

Well, this thread really interested me and although I do not have a 6 volt lantern battery, I did have a 9 volt battery. I saw the video showing the 9 volt and also a 12 volt with button cells. I tore apart the 9 volt battery and LO AND BEHOLD there were 6 AAA batteries. This would be logical since 6 AAAs at 1.5 volts each would equal 9 volts. I have not yet made it home to be 100% sure they are identical size to over the counter AAAs and that the voltage is the same but they sure look it. At any rate, I really do not understand why some of you see this as a fake. I think in all probability it is true.......if you get the correct 6 volt battery. I will try this in the near future with a 6 volt battery just to see. Yes, I can purchase AAs relatively cheap but I would like to prove the skeptics wrong also. :)

I have an even better one for you that will knock your socks off: If you open any alkaline 9 volt battery made by Duracell since December 13, 2006, you will discover that it contains (in a small tesseract-fold in space-time nested inside the case) 600 high-quality AA alkaline cells, arrayed in 6 batches in series of 100 cells each in parallel for greater current-carrying capacity. They do this for better current mirroring unfoldment, as they want their batteris to gain a better reputation than the 9-volt batteries marketed by their competitors.

:) Okay, I'll admit it. I tried it. It's crap. I don't understand why everyone else wouldn't want to try it. I got had, big deal! So, here ya go everybody, IT IS NOT TRUE. I tried it with an Everyeady and an Energizer, No Dice. It suuuuurrrreeeee was a good video though! I love crap like that! :)

That's because you didn't go far enough. Take apart the tall metal cylinders and you'll find exactly 324 button-style watch batteries in each! :)

:) Okay, I'll admit it. I tried it. It's crap. I don't understand why everyone else wouldn't want to try it. I got had, big deal! So, here ya go everybody, IT IS NOT TRUE. I tried it with an Everyeady and an Energizer, No Dice. It suuuuurrrreeeee was a good video though! I love crap like that! :)

That's because you didn't go far enough. Take apart the tall metal cylinders and you'll find exactly 324 button-style watch batteries in each! :)

Well of course, the watch battery case is all you need to hold a teeny hamster wheel.

I have not yet made it home to be 100% sure they are identical size to over the counter AAAs and that the voltage is the same but they sure look it.

I checked the individual cells that appeared to be AAAs out of the 9 volt battery against regular AAAs at home and they are not the same size. Off the shelf AAAs are slightly longer and have a slightly larger diameter. I suspect this may be true for the 6 volt as well, but do not know for sure. The claimed 32 AAs may be a slightly different size than true AAs. Oh well! :)

I discovered that if you climb up a telephone pole with a crowbar, you can pry open those pesky cylindrical transformers at the top and "borrow" over a thousand AA batteries.

Shocking, isn't it?

Liar. I just tried it and there are no batteries in there.

Well, someone beat you to it. You just have to be patient and wait a few day for them to restock it.

Well of course, the watch battery case is all you need to hold a teeny hamster wheel.

Wow, you're right. I've never looked before. Here's what I found inside:

41150731-88c4-4c0e-a92e-811e9e859fd4.jpg

With a little more research, I found out that the hamsters are powered by two very tiny lantern batteries. I'm told that the ones that power the geocaching.com website look very similar, but are just many times larger.

Wow! I wonder how many e-mails I'm gonna get at work tomorrow asking if this is real... :)

Snopes is my friend. :)

Hey, I love Snopes! I have ALMOST learned to always check it out before believing so much of the crap on th WWW. :D

Just checked Snopes concerning the 6 volt battery hack. Staus is false! Looks like I was the one fooled this time! Just as I was getting ready to climb that telephone pole to get to the AA gold mine! :)

Edited by groundhog123

The best way to get free AA batteries is to befriend someone in a photo lab. I have a 1 hour photo lab in my pharmacy, and the disposable cameras have them. When someone brings a disposable in to get developed we just take out the batteries and throw them in a bin. Almost all of them are near 100%. There are a few that are bad. I never buy AA batteries.

Actually, a little known secret is that you can get dead batteries from most places for FREE.

Where do you think the phrase "no charge" came from?

I don't know what you would use them for, but since they are so plentiful I figured that they were being produced for some reason.

Just thought I would throw that out there..

Edited by 4wheelin_fool