How to get 32 good AA batteries for about 7 bucks

Sparrowhawk

I'm not claiming to know a great deal about batteries, but a couple of things:

1. The videoclip says gagfilms.com. Is it really true, or just a gag?

2. AA batteries are still 1.5 volts... D cell batteries have 1.5 volts... 4 d cell batteries equals the 6 volts in the lantern battery. 32 AA batteries would equal 48 volts. huh?????

I don't believe this video. They don't actually show opening the case and seeing the AA batteries... look at it closely!

now thats awesome!!! my only question is since there is no wrapper on the batteries will this cause leakage?

First, in AA battery terms, what is a "wrapper" and second, how do you know that one isn't present?

the "wrapper" i was talking about is what gives you information about the battery on the outside of it. you know, the part that might say "duracell" or "energizer". in the video that is given, each battery is jkust plain metal, no wrapper.

now thats awesome!!! my only question is since there is no wrapper on the batteries will this cause leakage?

First, in AA battery terms, what is a "wrapper" and second, how do you know that one isn't present?

the "wrapper" i was talking about is what gives you information about the battery on the outside of it. you know, the part that might say "duracell" or "energizer". in the video that is given, each battery is jkust plain metal, no wrapper.

I believe that you would find that quite ordinary in commercial or industrial applications such as this. In typical over the counter products there is an obvious need for such labeling. In commercial or manufacturing that is not true and the use of components in "plain brown wrappers" is quite the norm. The fact that no labeling in cases such as this would be the expected condition.

I'd expect that the potential for leakage in these batteries would be no different than over the counter except I can see where they might actually be built to a higher standard due to the dense packaging, but of course I really do not know about that.

Further it is highly unlikely that the labeling has anything to do with the prevention of leaks in batteries. I'd think that that would more likely a function of the case that contains the metals and chemicals that make the battery function properly and safely.

And since there appears to be no labeling, how would you know what you are getting in terms of materials used, life expectancy or anything else? It's a lantern battery.

Edited by Team Cotati

I believe that you would find that quite ordinary in commercial or industrial applications such as this. In typical over the counter products there is an obvious need for such labeling. In commercial or manufacturing that is not true and the use of components in "plain brown wrappers" is quite the norm. The fact that no labeling in cases such as this would be the expected condition.

I'd expect that the potential for leakage in these batteries would be no different than over the counter except I can see where they might actually be built to a higher standard due to the dense packaging, but of course I really do not know about that.

Further it is highly unlikely that the labeling has anything to do with the prevention of leaks in batteries. I'd think that that would more likely a function of the case that contains the metals and chemicals that make the battery function properly and safely.

And since there appears to be no labeling, how would you know what you are getting in terms of materials used, life expectancy or anything else? It's a lantern battery.

BJ's has 48 good alkaline batteries for around 11.00. They last a long time in my 60cx, 60c and all of my other flashlights, remotes and 2-ways

2. AA batteries are still 1.5 volts... D cell batteries have 1.5 volts... 4 d cell batteries equals the 6 volts in the lantern battery. 32 AA batteries would equal 48 volts. huh?????

I don't believe this video. They don't actually show opening the case and seeing the AA batteries... look at it closely!

Nto if you wire them in parallel. Four D's in parallel is still 1.5V, it just last longer because you're draining each battery at 1/4 the rate.

The video is fake.

How tall is a Double A battery? How tall is a 6 volt battery?

You are instructed to cut the wires to release the batteries, did you see any cut wires?

Did you notice the wires were "cut" with pliers?

Did you see anything that would connect the batteries?

Did you notice all the batteries dumped out the same side up?

Save your money. Buy rechargeable AA cells.

Nto if you wire them in parallel. Four D's in parallel is still 1.5V, it just last longer because you're draining each battery at 1/4 the rate.

I asked hubby about it after he got home, and he mentioned that you could wire them in parallel and it would be the same voltage. I later read the comments at the bottom of the clip, and several questioned the same thing I did, and the same thing was pointed out. I stand corrected on the voltage point. Thanks for clearing that up!

I've been using Eveready 2500 mAh recharge-ables for a coupla years now and they are awesome. Only problem is that they discharge on the shelf. However, they recently came out with a charger that will charge them up in about five minutes so it's not that bad. I used to be a worry wart since the Magellan Meridian Color is a battery hog, but no more. Best investment I've made..... saved me hundreds. But, I do always keep a pair of straight alkalines as a back up in my kit bag.

RATTLEBARS

Edited by Rattlebars

It's been a long while so things could have changed in the manufacturing of 6 volt batteries, but i had taken one apart years ago. There were 4 each, 1.5 volt cells, not D size but longer of course, soldered together in series. Because of their size, they were not useable "as is" in other devices.

No, the wrapper serves no other purpose than for the manufacturer to label the cell. The metal casing is what is actually holding it all together.

crosSection.gif

(click on the image to see a larger view)

Voltage is additive in series while current (measured in amperage) is additive in parallel. If you divide the 32 AA sized cells in to groups of 4 and then place them in series you will have 8 6-volt batteries. Now place the 8 6-volt batteries in parallel. The voltage won't change this time but the current will change. You will now have 1 6-volt battery with a higher amperage than the individual 6-volt batteries.

Not all 6 volts have AA's in them, Duracell has 4 D batteries in them.

Is there any way to tell if the 6-volt batteries have AA's or D's?

You should be able to tell if you can find where the current (amperage) rating is shown. Assuming that standard capacity batteries are being used. A standard AA cell is 2850 mAh. If the 32 cells are in the configuration above then all you have to do is multiple 2850 by the number of batteries in parallel (8). 2850 mAh x 8 batteries = 22800 mAh

D sized cells have a mAh rating of 20500 mAh. Since all the cells are in series there is no change in mAh.

So a Lantern Battery that has standard capacity AA size cells in it will have a mAh rating of 22800 mAh where a Lantern Battery that has standard capacity D size cells in it will have a mAh rating of 20500 mAh.

If you grok the electronics terms of "cell" and "battery" and understand the economics of scale, you'll readily accept that this is possible. If you connect 8 AA's in parallel (1.5V and a current equal to 8x the individual cell capacity) and then couple it with three more arrays just like that, in series (thus raising the voltage by four, but keeping the capacity at 8x) you'll have a battery that can produce 6V at a current equal to 8X the capacity of any individual cell. The math and electronics can be made to work with AAs. They can also be made to work with Cs, Ds and a variety of industrial sizes that you won't find on the shelf at the grocery store.

Will these likely have solder tabs? Yes. Must they have solder tabs? No. Will that matter for *most* cases? No.

Crack open your $200 laptop battery or your $60 cell fone battery or a $80 power tool battery. What will you find? The majority of the time, you'll find commodity cells (of perhaps differing capacities, recharge traits, or chemistry) soldered together in custom plasticware. (I don't pay GE $30 for the battery in my cordless fone - I know very well it's 3 AA NiCd - not NIMH - in a case I can glue together.) It's certainly not a stretch to believe that the big-ole lantern batteries do the same thing just to take advantage of economics of scale.

Will I, a certified cheapskate with a background in electronics that not intimidate by Ohms Law, a soldering station or a glue gun, be rushing to replace either my rechargeable NIMH or the handy-dandy 24-pack from the hardware store with this? No. But it's not out of range of believability, either.

True that most "manufacturer" specific rechargeable batteries are in fact packages assemble of standard size cells.

For example, I rebuilt my expensive NiCad 12V Ryobi power drill battery pack with C sizes batteries at the fraction of the cost.

An other example are some Lithium battery pack for camera made up with two Lithium 123 batteries and they ares sold for a lot cheaper than the two separate. These I use per pair in my high power incan Streamlight torch.

As for these big 6V battery, I am not sure that it make sense to assemble that many AA as bigger elements are available. There are a few sizes available to the industry for these packs and different than the standard we use.

Only way to know is to check.

While I'm saying it wouldn't work, but I'm doubting the video is live. I've taken apart plenty of things in my life--with mixed results on the reassembly--and this doesn't look right. It appears these batteries are just stuffed in there. I see nothing to break the batteries into the banks of batteries to make the voltage.

I'll probably tear apart one of the lantern batteries when the time is right, but I'm not expecting the same results of the video.

I have been told that tearing apart a 9v battery will provide 6 smaller batteries and opening a 12v remote control battery will provide 8 button batteries.

Also, I noticed more and more DIY videos coming out that are outright spoofs of the real thing. This smells like one.

Meh,

I'll just stick to the 40-pack at Costco for ~$10. Still cheap, far less work.

I did see another hack like this for some other battery that yielded I think 6 button cells. Saved like $10 or something like that over buying the button cells themselves. I was way off, but here it is: http://www.instructables.com/id/12-Volt-Ba...e-Surprised.../

Edited by wandererrob

Check it out:

Great way to get good AA's for cheap!

If you are not buying rechargables, this would be the way to go. :)

sigh... some tip-offs that the entire clip is a not-very-elaborate spoof are the following:

• the narrator starts off by asserting that a 4-pack of alkaline AA cells costs about $5. This claim is nonsensical. Since when has anyone paid $5 for four AA alkaline cells? I do not pay half that much even for Panasonic Oxyride AA cells, which are a very advanced and high-capacity version of traditional alkaline cells.
  • Then, after setting the stage by talking about alkaline AA cells and their prices, the narrator proceeds to show us, and to open, a 6 volt battery which uses not alkaline cell technology but older and much cheaper (but with far less power storage capacity) zinc-carbon technology. Anyone can purchase literally hundreds of zinc-carbon AA cells for five or six dollars.
  • Anyone who has ever visited Wal-Mart, Lowes or Home Depot, or who has used Google Products to search for cheap deals on AA alkaline cells online is very well aware that you can purchase 40 to 48 high-quality name brand AA alkaline cells for about $9 to $11.
  • There are numerous visual clues in the film clip that the entire thing was staged, and not with a whole lot of finesse...

sigh.... If you liked, and believed, the film clip, I have a nice bridge that I would like to sell to you.

I haven't taken a 6V dry cell apart in 45 years or so. However, I do recall at that time I was surprise to find the big dry cell consisted of several smaller cells. (Danged if I can remember how many or what size)

So now I happen to have a dead Eveready Super Heavy Duty 6V dry cell sitting around. I grabbed my leatherman and proceeded to tear it apart.

Inside is four cells about the same diameter as a D cell, but an inch longer. Certainly not usable as AA batteries, but not even useful as D cells.

Somewhere around the house I have a couple of dead Alkaline 6V batteries. If I ever run across one of them I may tear that apart to see whats inside, but I suspect I will find the same thing.

I have no idea what other brands may contain, but I now know what the Eveready has.

I also noted that if they do in fact, use AA's in some brands of 6V's, they would need some kind of spacer at the bottom of the battery case. No way would that battery last as long as the Eveready.

While I was out caching at lunch today, i came across an old car battery. And remembering this thread I pulled out my ever present LeatherMan tool and proceeded to disassemble it. Sure enough, there were hundreds of AA batteries in there. More than I could stuff into my pockets. . . . So, I will be making a cache out of it and calling it GotFreeBatteries. ;)

[Don't try this at home, I am a professional]

Edited by Camper17

i juxt opend a lantrn battey, and all i found was battery acid which ate off my left hand and dripped on my foot. please do not try this cost saving tip that may save some cash but ultimately cost a hand and a foot. hank you.

edig: sory for mispell but it is harg to dype with one hand and a nose.

Edited by Jeep_Dog

While I was out caching at lunch today, i came across an old car battery. And remembering this thread I pulled out my ever present LeatherMan tool and proceeded to disassemble it. Sure enough, there were hundreds of AA batteries in there. More than I could stuff into my pockets. . . . So, I will be making a cache out of it and calling it GotFreeBatteries. ;)

[Don't try this at home, I am a professional]

Well, you did it the hard way. If you heat up the bottom casing of the car battery with a small acetylene torch the multitude of AA batteries usually just drop out of the bottom.

Inside is four cells about the same diameter as a D cell, but an inch longer. Certainly not usable as AA batteries, but not even useful as D cells.

I believe somewhere I read those are "F" cells.

You can take this to the bank.

If I am wrong, well, it IS the internet. ;)

Yes, if my memory serves me rightly, at one time they were called "F" cells; they are an industrial 1.5 volt cell size and are used largely in constructing higher-voltage batteries with voltages in the range of 6 to 48 volts. I have taken apart plenty of 6 volt batteries in my life, and all I have ever found inside them is four of these odd cells.

However, there REALLY is a way to access free high-quality alkaline AA cells for free... and this is a little-known secret... here goes...

It is a fact that geomuggles are not really human and rather, are DC-powered androids, powered by 36 Panasonic OxyRide (an advanced kind of high-capacity cell developed by Panasonic) AA cells. If you rub olive oil on the nose of a geomuggle (this sedates them and forces the android to comply with your verbal commands) and then order them to sit down and if you then heat the soles of their bare feet with a Bernzomatic propane torch for three minutes, you will hear three loud chirps and then the top of their skull will open smoothly and easily and will expose the 36 Oxyride AA cells for easy removal. Of course, the geomuggle will be disabled and rendered nonfunctional once you have harvested the cells, but they are not human anyway!

It would be much more cost effective, though less fun, to simply take all of your old dead batteries to Psycho Urban #9 and leve them there for a minute or two.

After the glow dies down, they'll be even better charged than they were new.

The final stage of Psycho Urban Cache #9 - Hot Glowing Tribulations would likely NOT be of assistance here. Actually, the reality is that research has consistently shown that the total capacity in AH (ampere-hours) of most 1.5 volt cells employing zinc-carbon or alkaline cell (including alkaline/lithium) technology is significantly and seriously diminished by exposure to high levels of ionizing radiation. The reason is quite simple: the incident ionizing radiation induces formation of numerous oxidative free radicals within the cell media, and many of those free radicals then initiate runaway cascade oxidative "chain reactions" that destroy even more media and also damage surfaces of metallic electrodes, thus "aging" the cell and reducing its total charge capacity. There is no evidence that an already-depleted cell will be "rejuventated" or recharged by exposure to high levels of ionizing radiation, and, in fact, the model which describes decreased cell charge capacity due to incidence of such ionizing radiation also predicts that an already-depleted cell would, upon exposure to high levels of ionizing radiation, simply exhibit an even greater drop in no-load potential voltage at its terminals and concomitant further reduction in total charge capacity measured in terms of AH; this makes intuitive sense as well. However, thank you for raising this possibility for consideration.