Garmin's 60CSx and Nroute...

X | Factor

I was wondering how the Nroute software interacts with the 60CSx. Nroute was designed for GPS 18 and GPS 10 but it's supposed to work with some handhelds.

Does anyone use this? Does it work well and do you get voice commands through the laptop?

Thanks,

Chris

It gets speed and location information only. Any routing you perform on the GPS is ignored by nRoute. You can have your GPS following one route, and nRoute following another, and they will both work, oblivious to what the other is doing.

Edited by Prime Suspect

I just started using nRoute with a 60csx and nRoute loses satellites about every 10 min. Messes with the tracks. Anyone know why this is.?

The 60CSx takes a five second or so "pause that refreshes" periodically. If you are logging tracks at a 1 second rate it will be about every 6 minutes; logging at longer intervals increases the time between pauses - for no logging at all it's about 25 minutes.

Most people never realize this; every once in a while during typical operation you may see the unit suddenly seem to act "sluggish" for a few seconds, then forget about it once it is back to normal. The 60CSx doesn't start a new active track internally, so you won't notice anything there either. However, things become very evident when you connect to nRoute: nRoute gives you a very loud LOST TRACK and starts a new active track.

Another thing I've very recently linked to this: the 60CSx will occasionally write garbage in the gpx track file during one of these pauses (not enough data analyzed to give a probability of this occurance; certainly less than 1% of the time and probably less than 0.1%). I've known about both of these problems since first seeing them back in 2006, but didn't connect them until taking a close look at a "garbaged" file this summer. And I'm pretty sure I reported both to Garmin at the time but never got any feedback from them.