Those black plastic garbage bags

the pooks

What is the purpose of those black plastic garbage bags. They are nearly always torn to bits, so they do nothing for waterproofing. They make the cache look shabby. The only advantage they have, as far as I can see, is that they look like a shabby black plastic bag - and that might be a good decoy... Any thoughts on this matter? In my opinion: One decent container, and then forget about all the bags and ziplocs.

Just a mistaken beliefe they help protect the cache from the elements.

The only time they hold up if if you place them folded up, neatly in the cache container.

Ziplocs inside the container can and do help with the log. I've found many wet cache with a log book in much better shape than it would be otherwise in side a ziplock. However I've had the opposite happen as well. Dry cache, soggy log book.

Agree 100%

They're horrible, and totally inefficient at their so-called purpose. :P

We're slowly but surely working through all our hides and replacing the refuse bags with waterproof camo canvas bags. Done about 35 so far. We've also recently hidden two caches without any bags at all as a trial - just a high quality lock-n-lock container "au natural". We saw many like that in the UK, and amazingly, they were dry.

Agree 100%

They're horrible, and totally inefficient at their so-called purpose. :P

We're slowly but surely working through all our hides and replacing the refuse bags with waterproof camo canvas bags. Done about 35 so far. We've also recently hidden two caches without any bags at all as a trial - just a high quality lock-n-lock container "au natural". We saw many like that in the UK, and amazingly, they were dry.

What are those "water proof como canvas bags" - where do we get them?

Heh heh... cammo indeed.

On quite a few of my caches have also used waterproof materials to cover the cache in. These however also disintegrate and get nibbled by creatures over time. While these are lock 'n locks, I still cover them as they keep the majority of dirt and wetness off the container. It also provides that extra layer of protection...before they nibble the box <_<

The downside is that lock n lock + waterproof material = expensive container.... and that excludes Mother In Law's sewing time <_<

The garbage bags are probably a hangover from the icecream container days. If using a lock 'n lock or something similar probably unecessary... even these aren't 100% waterproof though.

Was surprised to find many caches in the UK are just placed without any bag.... but then again, many of those caches were a tad wet and VERY muddy to handle :anitongue: even ammo and LnL's

We tend to stick to placing Lock n Lock containers and placing them in thick (storage) Zip Lock bags. But even these bags only last so long, but this gives reason for maintaining your cache and visiting it every now and then. If maintenance is a headache include an extra Zip Lock in the cache iteslf.

As for black garbage bags. No endurance whatsoever and as was said earlier on, they seem to attract bugs of all sorts.

Totally agree. For us, the plastic bags are useless. They get thorn on the very first effort to hide the cache under some rocks, on some thorns, etc. Like some said, they offer a small protection against the elements, particularly water.

Besides that, a black plastic bag can be seen by someone (not geocacher) as garbage, so eventually with will end up in the trash... There's go the effort of labeling the container and stuffing a stashnote inside.

We got rid of all plastic bags in our caches. Instead we invested on some lock'n locks, camo'ed some and still managed to place some labels that can be seen from the outside.

There are some that believe that the plastic bag is essential, even when it wraps a crappy container bought for $0.50. The killer touch is when someone decides to make some knots on the plastic bags... Maybe that way, the water gives up from trying to get in, since with won't untie those knots. :anitongue:

In Portugal, this discussion can go for weeks. <_<

The downside is that lock n lock + waterproof material = expensive container.... and that excludes Mother In Law's sewing time :)

The wettest cache i have ever seen was a properly sealed lock n lock container.

I poured at least 1 liter of water out of it. Luckily the ziplock bag has kept the log book dry!

;) While I agree with most of the sentiments expressed in this discussion, I still use them for my hides as I do feel that they provide a way of hiding the cache better in that black does not reflect light and hence is not clearly visible to passersby. In strong daylight black is almost invisible in the shade (between rocks, etc.). So I will probably continue to wrap mine in them depending on the location. The only thing I have to worry about is the selection of the type of black bag to be used. Do I use biodegradable or not? The former tends to disintegrate within weeks and then is scattered all over the place by wind, etc. causing unsightly litter. Being environmentally conscious, this is always a dilemma for me.

P.S. I too hate having to unwrap caches hidden in bags because of the dirt that accumulates and the mess it makes of my hands, clothing, the log book (when signing with muddy hands), etc.

I find it quite interesting... A year + ago when we started out caching we went on a caching trip in Ireland and New York and decide to place one there (before we knew about maintenance etc) and hid one in Ireland off the ring of Kerry.. Usual Lock and Lock container with plastic bag and then blag plastic bag and then hidden under some rocks near a fort.

Anyways after finding a maintainer in Ireland we decided to publish it and in the comments I wrote something to the effect.. usual lock and lock in plastic bag, with logbook etc... and it came back the next day - DECLINED.. In order to publish a cache in Ireland YOU CANNOT put it in a plastic bag (as this a) hurts the environment and :laughing: is dangerous to little children (who might put them over their heads!) ...

So to cut the story short we got the maintainer to go there and remove the plastic bags and he told us that in 3 weeks the entire cache was filled with water.. So he replaced the container with an Ammo Box... So it looks like each place has its own rules about plastic and boxes and each country has very different weather conditions and muggle conditions..

My two cents added...

I think it comes down the fact that wrapping the box offers some sort of protection from the elements. Most containers get some form of moisture in even with a bag round it. Even them great lock and lock ones can get wet inside. I think the best container I found so far was one of them twist top containers that muscle building supplements come in. The container seals nicely and everything inside was dry as a bone. who has tested their containers. Weigh them down and submerge them in the bath for a few hours. If air gets out, then it ain't good for a cache I guess. Wrong colour, use spraypaint. Ban the black bag, they attract dogs anyway.

I think the best container I found so far was one of them twist top containers that muscle building supplements come in.

Anything that previously contained something edible/scented is generally a bad idea. One never really gets rid of the smell and it attracts animals. If you know someone in the medical industry, they generally make very watertight containers... you want a friend though as they are relatively pricey :laughing:

Hi Fish Eagle and the busy Mrs. Fish Eagle

Those bags are awesome, and the price is very reasonable compared to the ones I bought from the U.K.

I totally understand why she doesn't take orders - I am totally prepared to make my own. Please PM me with the supplier of the materials details and I will order direct. I do have an industrial sewing machine in the family and would love the challenge to make my own bags. :huh:

Now if I use a teeny little camo bag and place the next cache at a "Windpomp" what do you think are the chances of it being found? <_<

Greetings

Mrs Fish Eagle says that any good material shop should stock the material, or be able to get it for you - she got ours from our local Indian wholesaler. It comes in two weights - the heavy material is too stiff and unnecessarily expensive, the lighter weight works fine. Just check that it's rubberised on the back, and use tent thread so that it lasts.

Now if I use a teeny little camo bag and place the next cache at a "Windpomp" what do you think are the chances of it being found?

By Mrs Fish Eagle, maybe - by Mr Fish Eagle, no chance!!!

You know I don't do "windpompe" any more.

Let me remind you with this log and this log

BTW - if you do a cache search using the keyword "windpomp", these are the only two that appear.

Edit: Fix typo

Edited by Fish Eagle

well, i was strolling past one of my caches in the weekend, so checked if it was still there. indeed it was, safe in its black plastic bag <_<

what a hippocrite i am <_<

granted, it was a small one, not one of those big woppers.

A bit wettish inside - oh well, thats life :rolleyes:

guess I'll have to go back there!

I hide most of my recent caches in a screw top choccy milkshake plastic container, and they smell delicious.

Havent had issues with animals, except on Traverse reverse, which had a hole nibbled in it before the FTF.

now if only Cownchicken will go do the cache so they can replace the container :rolleyes:

Black bags or any bag for that matter are OUT, I agree.

Zip-Lock inside to protect the logbook, but not every item, that again is an over kill.

Micros I found do best with a magnet glued on and/or located above ground.

But what I still struggle with is a protection against nibbling rodents?! They simply love Addis's plastic containers... any Ideas anybody?

My tuppence worth - which works for us.....

We have many hides, and experience minimal bug or animal interference.

Always use brand new containers. Anything that's ever had food in it is a problem, no matter how well you wash it.

Spray the container with Peaceful Sleep or Blue Doom (depending on the bug eco-sensitivity of the area), then give it a good wipe which spreads it and leaves a slightly oily film. Redo whenever you revisit your cache. Alternatively, spray paint the container, which leaves an odour which is unpleasant for animals.

Don't use garbage bags - they attract bugs and rodents.

Try to hide in rock crevices, as deep in as possible, and close up well in front with rocks - which also provides fire protection. We like horizontal crevices and overhangs epecially - they also keep the cache out of the rain.

hope this helps :huh:

Goeie more Fish Eagle.

Please tell where you source the "Waterproof Camo Material" from, I would actually make some myself for my caches, other than the "Micro's"

Hi there LeonW

Fish Eagles original camo bags where designed and manufactured by us as a christmas present to him.

Please let us know if you would like any, or like more info about them.

We would be happy to help.