Logging of Virtual Caches

cincol

Hi All

Being new to this sport I come across things that just don't make any sense to me at all. The objectives of Geocaching - as I understand them - are to use your GPSr to take to to a particular site and then to look for a cache [or clue] at a given point in the surface of the earth. There one will find a ache ranging in size from very small [nano] to large, OR a clue as to what you should do next.

Now the question - I have noticed that the 4 virtual caches that I have visited and logged have been logged by many cachers that have NEVER been to the site at all. When the cache owner has placed specific questions that need to be answered - that can only be answered IF you have ACTUALLY visited the site - how can you "claim" the find without having been there? This defeats the object of caching as far as I am concerned. I have looked at a few of these people's profiles and many of them have huge numbers of virtual caches to their credit, and spread across the world, sometimes on the same date! Obviously it is quite acceptable to sit and surf the website "claiming" finds left, right and centre! :P

Maybe I am old fashioned or my mother brought me up another way, but I will only log a cache if I have actually been there.

Thoughts and discussion on the topic would be appreciated.

Happy caching. B)

Hello CINCOL,

Virtual caches are not allowed anymore by Groundspeak, only the ones that have been placed before the ban I understand. (Grandfathered)

There are some really wiz kids out there that only need a computer and Internet to believe that their existence has any real meaning in this world. Would love to get one of them to really go and hunt for a cache in your part of the woods, sorry ... desert. :P

what about going to an archived cache that was muggled. can it be logged as a find with a picture is mailed to the owner of the actual believed site.

Ask yourself this question... did you find the cache?

Some folks believe that visiting a site qualifies as a find even though the cache could not be found.... errrr...ummmmm what's the point. Even in cases where the cache has been muggled and not maintained.... and is missing.... you win some, you lose some. Finding a muggled container, i.e. container still there but contents missing, if the finder requests to log a find, fair enough, they found the cache.

The concept of non virtual and earthcaches, is to find a physical cache and sign a log or retrieve an answer/wpt. Find it and recover it = FOUND. Find nada = DID NOT FIND. I've even done a cache where I've seen the container, but have been unable to recover it, for me it's a DNF... well a note in reality as I hope to return to actually retrieve the cache to claim the find one day.

Anyway, that's my game plan.

Just wondering as I have found the spot for 3 caches already confirmed by the owners and previous visitors. I understand a regular cache can be regarded as a did not find and I will wait to see that it is replaced, but I was given the find for a micro that had gone missing, by sending a photo of the site to confirm the cache site. Obviously when the cache is replaced I will return and sign the log. Others I have not found well, I await them patiently to be replaced. Doesn't really matter if the cache is found or not to me. It is the fun element really. I get a lot of pleasure in finding places I probably never would have.

Just wondering as I have found the spot for 3 caches already confirmed by the owners and previous visitors. I understand a regular cache can be regarded as a did not find and I will wait to see that it is replaced, but I was given the find for a micro that had gone missing, by sending a photo of the site to confirm the cache site. Obviously when the cache is replaced I will return and sign the log. Others I have not found well, I await them patiently to be replaced. Doesn't really matter if the cache is found or not to me. It is the fun element really. I get a lot of pleasure in finding places I probably never would have.

You and the owner can decide to allow you a find without signing the log.

I been offered such before but prefer to sign the log before logging. I personally don't consider visiting a place the same as finding the cache and signing the log. (aka caching) But that's just me.

Yes I agree I wan't to sign the log but this owner agreed if the cache (Micro) is gone then sending a photo is OK, but I still would prefer to log it in the notebook. It's just frustrating sometimes looking all over a place and not finding the cache. Only to find out it has been muggled. But yes I do want to sign the log, after all it is proof that I was there. This was the only one. I have not found many others an returned to find them on second attempts. With a little help from the owner usually. There are just 3 or 4 that seem to have definitely gone though. Of which the one we agreed on the photo.

This debate can rage on and on. Just like on our roads, some people deem it acceptable behavior to drive in the emergency lane and push in in the front of the queue, so too will cachers always justify their own behavior as there are no referees, and no-one policing the 'sport' At the risk of repeating myself, in golf, if you touch the ball, but no-one saw, you alone can choose to mark that extra stroke or not.

In caching all sorts of things happen, and if you feel comfortable with cheating then so be it. Just don't flaunt your number of finds in front of me as you might run into a baseball bat or some equally hard, but blunt object. I can log so many caches in London, or Outer Mongolia for that matter, because, ultimately, who will know. Well, I will. And that is not how I play.

I visited a cache 7 times once, just to scribble my name. 7 TIMES ! I don't write : 'Did not sign log, too may muggles .....' or 'ooo, I saw the container, therefore I log it'. No scribble, no log.

All to their own, I guess.

OK that's it I will post a photo of me at the cache location writing in the log book with the entire contents of the cache in visible view. And I expect the same from all that visit my caches. Haa haa haa.... Hey does anyone log a find on their own caches? Haa haa.

Anyway I have had a few DNF's and never log them as finds. I log it as a DNF. I logged one DNF and suspecting it as a muggled one was granted the find by the owner. I still don't see it as a real find but the owner is happy enough.

Clearing that up. If there is a virtual then it must be confirmed by the owner as a find through photographic proof I believe. With the finder in the pic too.

We have just had a case of an overseas visitor visiting - well almost - one of our caches. He didn't actually get to the cache itself, a lady presumably started to talk to him and so he didn't search and write in the log book.

He sent a photo taken about 50 meters from the cache - no cache site in the photo though - and has asked if he can log!!

This self same cacher then tried the same in the Eastern Cape at another cachers cache.

He has over 3000 caches - it makes one wonder?!?!

If there is a log book - LOG or leave a piece of paper with your name on in the cache container - otherwise you weren't there.

We have just had a case of an overseas visitor visiting - well almost - one of our caches. He didn't actually get to the cache itself, a lady presumably started to talk to him and so he didn't search and write in the log book.

He sent a photo taken about 50 meters from the cache - no cache site in the photo though - and has asked if he can log!!

This self same cacher then tried the same in the Eastern Cape at another cachers cache.

He has over 3000 caches - it makes one wonder?!?!

If there is a log book - LOG or leave a piece of paper with your name on in the cache container - otherwise you weren't there.

Spotted this particular cachers logs on quite a number of caches dotted around our country... makes me wonder whether he/she even attempts to find the cache, or just arrives at approximate GZ, takes a brief moment (perhaps), doesn't spot the OPOR (or whatever they use in that certain part of Europe), takes photo and moves on.

mmmmmmmmmm........

Imagine this:

"Sorry Mr. cache owner it would seem that your cache was muggled. Here is a photo of a pile of rocks with an unsightly black bag wedged under them. Back in Europe where I am from that would be frowned upon. Anyway I thought that I might be able to log the find as I found a place, ie: the pile of rocks that the box might have been placed upon at some stage, much the same way as we do back home. But seeing that your country seems to have a high crime rate I guess that some person came and removed your cache box from the top of that pile of rocks. The area that you chose seems to be very pleasant with lovely views of rolling fields of grass and small trees, amazing that out in the open area like this that you find a small pile of rocks like this to put a cache on. Now that I am back home in Europe, I wish I had just removed that horrible black bag that was spoiling the area. Please maintain the cache and before you put the cache back on top of the pile of rocks please remove that black bag...."

Duh!!! Does this guy get to log it or not....

Well... here my 50c worth:

Only writing in the log = Found!

After all it's not the numbers that matters in the game. Just like with life, what matters (to me...) is the journey, getting to the cache if most of the fun, topped by writing in the log, hence when when after an epic 7h hike (up and down) recently to Uitkyk Kop via Gladdebank I searched for 30min only to find the Gladdebank cache 18m off course and the only hint telling me: "BE FIT" I could have killed the guy... but well... yes I was close to giving up and log a DNF.

Same goes for TB's: If you did not really grab the thing and MOVED it onto the next cache I don't regard it as a found and will not log it - it was tempting though when holding all those flashy TB's at the last event in CT... But I refrained and stuck to my personal ethics. It just ain't right and what for?!

Regarding a muggled cache, we found "Whipstock" cache the other day... Well we had the exact location which was empty but "found" and signed the logbook which the owner of the establishment salvaged from the mud and kept in his office until the cache owner returned and fixed the cache... a fair and acceptable find? I think so.

Then there is "Hot on Top" above Ai Ais in Namibia where the official summit book is used to log finds... Idealy I like to see the cache owner to return and place a propper cache and logbook in the original/seperate place, but well that's me...

So in the end it come down to: Live and let live!

And on that note, I would like to mention Discombob and also Vespax, who I noticed have no trouble in logging DNF after quite some lenghty travel and search, now that is Fair Play!

Hi All

Being new to this sport I come across things that just don't make any sense to me at all. The objectives of Geocaching - as I understand them - are to use your GPSr to take to to a particular site and then to look for a cache [or clue] at a given point in the surface of the earth. There one will find a ache ranging in size from very small [nano] to large, OR a clue as to what you should do next.

Now the question - I have noticed that the 4 virtual caches that I have visited and logged have been logged by many cachers that have NEVER been to the site at all. When the cache owner has placed specific questions that need to be answered - that can only be answered IF you have ACTUALLY visited the site - how can you "claim" the find without having been there? This defeats the object of caching as far as I am concerned. I have looked at a few of these people's profiles and many of them have huge numbers of virtual caches to their credit, and spread across the world, sometimes on the same date! Obviously it is quite acceptable to sit and surf the website "claiming" finds left, right and centre! :huh:

Maybe I am old fashioned or my mother brought me up another way, but I will only log a cache if I have actually been there.

Thoughts and discussion on the topic would be appreciated.

Happy caching. :huh:

You just discovered some ____ ____ pumpkin eaters. They exist. Just ignore them. :D

Can't remember where but I was browsing through some cache logs and I found that the person who left it went and entered a 'Found it' log on his own cache. Is that right, I don't think so. I just wish I could remember where I saw it. I can understand that some people make a mistake and might actually be trying to log a note. But this was a genuine log as the description mentioned that he had a great hike up and found the cache quite easily. I just can't find that log anymore. Might be that he deleted it, but he took his time cause the log was a few weeks old.

Can't remember where but I was browsing through some cache logs and I found that the person who left it went and entered a 'Found it' log on his own cache. Is that right, I don't think so.

Wazat

I have seen a couple of those as well. Crazy, but some people do it nonetheless. :huh:

cincol

Picture this - there is an Event cache. You are not going to attend so you invite one or two cachers around to your hotel for a drink. You then log as attending the Event as you were at the "Pre-event"!! Pre-event???

And now you have over 4000 cache finds!

Hi everybody

The following week this same cacher logged one of our caches, TF12 Boyes Falls. I quote "Passed it with the bus. The five minute stop wasn´t enough to find the box. Thanks from Germany."

Does he think all SA caches are virtuals?

Do I delete it? Or do we just ignore it, he`s only fooling himself.

Now this is what I call the spirit of true geocaching B):oB) this log was written today on one of my latest caches:

"Stopped at the locomotive with my train-mad 5yr old without knowing of the new cache. Even remember looking at the brass dials and thinking they wouldn't still be there if it was in Cape Town! We will have to come back!"

and they were sooooo, close! :o but refrained to log a "found"... SA cachers I'm all behind you!!! :P

Edited by Matata

Hi everybody

The following week this same cacher logged one of our caches, TF12 Boyes Falls. I quote "Passed it with the bus. The five minute stop wasn´t enough to find the box. Thanks from Germany."

Does he think all SA caches are virtuals?

Do I delete it? Or do we just ignore it, he`s only fooling himself.

Buy I just checked this log, and it is logged as a DNF?

And on that note, I would like to mention Discombob and also Vespax, who I noticed have no trouble in logging DNF after quite some lenghty travel and search, now that is Fair Play!

Why thanks Matata!

The hardest thing i ever did was having to log 7 DNFs and no finds on a trip to thailand, as all the caches were muggled, guarded by police, had incorrect co-ordinates, or unreachable due to rough seas!

Pumpkin eaters :o:oB) I agree!!! But still a valid point to rais :P me back to work now B)

Ah... Matata we all know you play up in those mountains of yours and its not really "work". Try sitting in front of a spreedsheet for 8 hours one day. You'll appreciate those 'working days' of yours! B)

Delete the logs.

He has tried this with several cachers, including us.

I've had a log deleted on me. I emailed the owner, explained I was there, saw what had to be seen, sent a pic proving it and he/she allowed me to relog it. That was in Machu Picchu, so I was determined to maintain that find!

I do log DNF all the time, mostly because I am an ignorant cacher without a clue of where I am going or what I am looking for. But I just got myself a palm pilot and cachemate, so I expect my DNF ratio to drop now. What a useful tool! (*Note: I guess I could have bought a printer 2 years ago but.... B) )

I do log DNF all the time, mostly because I am an ignorant cacher without a clue of where I am going or what I am looking for. But I just got myself a palm pilot and cachemate, so I expect my DNF ratio to drop now. What a useful tool! (*Note: I guess I could have bought a printer 2 years ago but.... :o )

Not to mention getting that errant GPSr of yours recalibrated B):PB) all that new technology may be worthless B):o