not logging finds...

jarvis's

i recently had a guy email me and ask me about my cache and noted that he liked it allot.. but never logged the find on the net... he has an account so he could have logged it.. so i emailed him a few times suggesting that he log it in.. and he wont reply to me.. i was in the area with a t.b. and geo coin so i dropped them off at my cache.. and he did sign the log book.. why would someone sign the log book and not log it found on the cache page if they have an account??? it really bothers me that someone would not log it found, especially after he emailed me saying he loved it. and asking how i got permission... i guess i shouldn't let it bother me so much and just place another cache :P

i recently had a guy email me and ask me about my cache and noted that he liked it allot.. but never logged the find on the net... he has an account so he could have logged it.. so i emailed him a few times suggesting that he log it in.. and he wont reply to me.. i was in the area with a t.b. and geo coin so i dropped them off at my cache.. and he did sign the log book.. why would someone sign the log book and not log it found on the cache page if they have an account??? it really bothers me that someone would not log it found, especially after he emailed me saying he loved it. and asking how i got permission... i guess i shouldn't let it bother me so much and just place another cache :P

Some people don't like the fact that find counts are publicly displayed. So they either don't log on line, or log with notes.

There are always about 30% more onsite logs then online logs on mine. Very common around here.

I would argue that statistics have anything at all to do with why some don't log online. Of the few I know - most just want anonymous fun. They are not concerned at all with sharing with others. Mostly like the idea of just going out on hikes and find challenges but don't care about anything else. Others are just concerned that ANY online loogging leads to "bad" things on the internet. No concern over stats whatsoever. Plus or minus - just never occured to them to log that way.

As a cache owner - I live for the logs and the sharing and social aspects of it all. I am disappointed to not see thier comments - get some feedback - share in some small way. But I can't do anything about it so I don't worry either.

i can see why someone would not log a find on the net but if they have an account and log all kinds of recent finds in the area.. and not mine.. lol im for sure gonna place another hide in the area now !!! lol i even just bought a new lock-n-lock at wally world just need to visit the dollar store for a new log book and some camo tape!!!! hehehe that guy has got me so mad im gonna hide another for him to to log in!!!

Perhaps I am reading more into this than I should but at first I read that he contacted you and said he liked your cache but then later I read that he asked you how you got permission. Have you considered that he didn't like your answer for how you got permission and didn't want to associate himself with it?

Did you check to see how active of a cacher he is? If he's logging a lot of caches and logging onto GC.com regularly, but not responding to your email, my guess is that he's got some issue with what you told him.

Of course, this puts you in a bit of a pickle because you really have no way of knowing if he won't tell you. Overall, it's probably not worth worrying about if you got adequate permission. In fact, I find that the less you worry about what other folks do or don't do, the more enjoyable the game is.

Edited by Team GeoBlast

If he does log finds online, but hasn't logged yours, it may be that he just hasn't gotten around to logging that one yet. Every once in a while I'll have a find logged from months back, with a note saying that they finally got around to logging it. Unfortunately, these kinds of logs are just very blah... "Found it with so and so back in June. Thanks"

It does seem strange, though, that he took the time to e-mail you about the cache... why not log online? I'm like Starbrand... I live for the comments and stories posted on the cache pages! (That is one reason why we don't enjoy letterboxing as much.... there really is no place online to log comments, etc. Some boxers send you an e-mail, but not many. Not so much of a gratification for the work you put into the box.)

I know a lot of people who don't log on-line. B)

It's pretty common. B)

It's nice of him to let ya know he liked the cache. B)

Now get out there and hide some more quality hides for him. :P

Yeah, tons of people don't log online. I'll always find a handful in my own logbooks while doing maintenance, so I'll say it's pretty common. I think it used to be even more common, before you needed a geocaching.com account to view cache coordinates (which happened less than 2 years ago). Before that, your cache coordinates were available to anyone with an internet connection. :)

We only own 11 caches. We perform maintenance on them. When we replace log books we thumb thru them just for grins. We have less than zero interest in comparing log book entries against online logs. The reason for this is that it would have no impact, one way or the other, as to our overall enjoyment of this wonderful activity or how, why or where we did or did not place caches going forward. B)B):P

There seem to be a number of people in our area, perhaps totaling about 8% of the finders of many of our caches (and of many wilderness caches which I have found), who leave nice logs in the physical logbook, but who never log finds online. And further, I have some friends in cities scattered across the US who own geocaching accounts and who eagerly go caching with me when we are spending time together, but they never log their find online unless they feel that the cache was particularly noteworthy and of high quality; that leaves out the LUMs.

We only own 11 caches. We perform maintenance on them. When we replace log books we thumb thru them just for grins. We have less than zero interest in comparing log book entries against online logs. The reason for this is that it would have no impact, one way or the other, as to our overall enjoyment of this wonderful activity or how, why or where we did or did not place caches going forward. B)B):P

I don't know if this was a response to mine, but I thumb through for grins too. You just can't help but notice geocaching handles you've never heard of, or some guy who just signs the logbook as "Joe from Hackensack" or something. B)

Cachers can long the book, online, both, or neither.

One remote cache I found something like 40% of the logs were in the log book only.

The only thing that really annoyes me about the log book only types is that I may not be able to retrieve my log book and read their log.

One remote cache I found something like 40% of the logs were in the log book only.

The only thing that really annoyes me about the log book only types is that I may not be able to retrieve my log book and read their log.

Just for you, I'll only write 'CurmudgeonlyGal' in the log book the next time I blow through your neck of the woods and find one of your caches. That way, even though you won't know whether or not I found your cache (maggot, I assume), you can be assured that if I did... you won't have missed my erudite wit which has been known to have been expressed by pen on paper.

:P

michelle

Just for you, I'll only write 'CurmudgeonlyGal' in the log book the next time I blow through your neck of the woods and find one of your caches. That way, even though you won't know whether or not I found your cache (maggot, I assume), you can be assured that if I did... you won't have missed my erudite wit which has been known to have been expressed by pen on paper.

:anitongue:

michelle

Thank you...................I Think..................

You are right about the reason. I had a cache close to 100 finds and I had a gut feeling it was next. I called someone driving through and asked them to swap out the log book. They did. The cache was missing soon thereafter. It was one of my favorite caches. But I did get the log book. 1 out of 20 though isn't even a good batting average.

i recently had a guy email me and ask me about my cache and noted that he liked it allot.. but never logged the find on the net... he has an account so he could have logged it.. so i emailed him a few times suggesting that he log it in.. and he wont reply to me.. i was in the area with a t.b. and geo coin so i dropped them off at my cache.. and he did sign the log book.. why would someone sign the log book and not log it found on the cache page if they have an account??? it really bothers me that someone would not log it found, especially after he emailed me saying he loved it. and asking how i got permission... i guess i shouldn't let it bother me so much and just place another cache :anitongue:

(re: bold) Correctumundo!

It's nothing to get upset about.

I log online when I feel it's necessary- like for bugs and FTF.

It is a long story that I've told many times, but I have had too many negative responses to my logs, none of which IMO were warranted. What I THOUGHT I was doing was warning other cachers of special hazards or simply telling that I gave up the hunt or that a cache was missing.

Also one incident got me accused of stealing (which i didn't do). In that particular case, I wish I had not even signed the physical logbook. If similar circumstances occur in the future, I will abort the hunt immediately and "I went into the woods to P." (Assuming of course the incident occurs b4 I sign the log). If I have already signed the log when i realise a need to be anonymous, well.... I hope that is a bridge that I never have to cross.

As far as numbers I couldn't care less. I am like the type noted above that just likes to hunt something or have an excuse to prowl new places.

As i state in my profile, if you put out a cache and I hunt it THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

If I found your cache and you don't see my log, there is a pretty good chance the cache is OK. If there's a serious problem I'll tell you. But it may or may not be in an online log.

Demz my reasons.

i recently had a guy email me and ask me about my cache and noted that he liked it allot.. but never logged the find on the net... he has an account so he could have logged it.. so i emailed him a few times suggesting that he log it in.. and he wont reply to me.. i was in the area with a t.b. and geo coin so i dropped them off at my cache.. and he did sign the log book.. why would someone sign the log book and not log it found on the cache page if they have an account??? it really bothers me that someone would not log it found, especially after he emailed me saying he loved it. and asking how i got permission... i guess i shouldn't let it bother me so much and just place another cache :anitongue:

Perhaps I am reading more into this than I should but at first I read that he contacted you and said he liked your cache but then later I read that he asked you how you got permission. Have you considered that he didn't like your answer for how you got permission and didn't want to associate himself with it?

Did you check to see how active of a cacher he is? If he's logging a lot of caches and logging onto GC.com regularly, but not responding to your email, my guess is that he's got some issue with what you told him.

Of course, this puts you in a bit of a pickle because you really have no way of knowing if he won't tell you. Overall, it's probably not worth worrying about if you got adequate permission. In fact, I find that the less you worry about what other folks do or don't do, the more enjoyable the game is.

the only thing i said to him was that i called the parks office and asked if i could place a geocache and they said sure... he was asking cause its a state park

He may just be the type of person who enjoys the hunt. And could care less about his number count. There are alot of folks out there who just like finding caches but never log them on-line.

Logging online has nothing to do about number counts for many of us. It's a courtesy. The owner spent the time, effort and money to place a cache. I think the least we can do is tell him we found it.

He may just be the type of person who enjoys the hunt. And could care less about his number count. There are alot of folks out there who just like finding caches but never log them on-line.

Logging online has nothing to do about number counts for many of us. It's a courtesy. The owner spent the time, effort and money to place a cache. I think the least we can do is tell him we found it.

Exactly. It is a courtesy to the owner and to other geocachers (who might be wondering about the status of a cache that has not had an online log in months).

If people really "couldn't care less about the numbers", then I would suggest that they post a Note instead of Find. That way the owners and the other caches get their information, and the finder does not get a Find added to his/her numbers.

In this case, he did. He just did it direct via email instead of a log. Hopefully he does this for everyone.

When I check my log books, if there are logs that aren't online, I usually mention it in a note on the cache page. This gives a more complete history and lets watchers know there's been activity. You may want to do that here. Even quote the email if it makes sense to.

If people really "couldn't care less about the numbers", then I would suggest that they post a Note instead of Find. That way the owners and the other caches get their information, and the finder does not get a Find added to his/her numbers.

The fallacy being that they must care about the numbers to be interested in their find count not being incremented...

Personally, I'm not really bothered about the numbers, but quite like to see how many I've done. Just for my own entertainment.

It appears that many cachers are primarily driven by the number count, however, and I can see how that might irritate some people enough that they just like to demonstrate how they've "opted out".

Exactly. It is a courtesy to the owner and to other geocachers (who might be wondering about the status of a cache that has not had an online log in months).

I assure you that I couldn't care less about my numbers, but the system is designed to work a certain way and I see no point in confusing things by using inappropriate log types. I know as an owner it would

confuse me if I saw a Found It on my cache logged as a note (I'd likely point out to the logger that he might have made a mistake) and it also affects people who use apps like Watcher and GSAK.

Just because some people enjoy playing the numbers game it doesn't mean I have to change the way I

play the game. I don't need to prove my "purity" as someone unconcerned with numbers.

I believe there are other valid reasons as to why someone might choose to NOT log a find, or to log a find as a note other than simply opting out of the numbers game.

Aside from the teasing of RK above, my finds are logged as notes, my DNF's as DNF's... and my notes are logged as... notes.

For me, my reasons are valid, and the system I've developed works best FOR ME and my situation.

I can even get PQ's... without having to rely on keeping GSAK up to date with my list of finds... that don't include caches that I've already found.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the numbers - I know exactly how many I've found over the course of my time playing the game - and absolutely everything to do with privacy.

If the worst thing I ever do here is post an 'inappropriate' log type... thereby allowing me to maintain some modicum of privacy... well, there are far worse things I could be doing.

michelle

Of course there are any number of reasons to not log onlne. One thing I do like is when I take the time to read through a Caches logbook, and I'm surprised to find entries that I didn't know about after reading the online logs.

One thing that does bother me is when there is no log online or in the book. I was on my way to one Cache, and bumped into a pair of cachers who were just leaving the site (we even talked about the Cache, they showed my what they took) but there were no logs in the book from them. There was also no log online, and one of the things they took was a Micro GeoCoin. I can't remember their manes though.

One thing that does bother me is when there is no log online or in the book. I was on my way to one Cache, and bumped into a pair of cachers who were just leaving the site (we even talked about the Cache, they showed my what they took) but there were no logs in the book from them. There was also no log online, and one of the things they took was a Micro GeoCoin. I can't remember their manes though.

Did you ever go back and check on that Geocoin to see if it went missing?

I suppose one reason not to sign the log book is if you plan to steal a geocoin or TB.

Of course there are any number of reasons to not log onlne. One thing I do like is when I take the time to read through a Caches logbook, and I'm surprised to find entries that I didn't know about after reading the online logs.

It is interesting from past threads that there are some out there who are very concerned about whether or not someone should be allowed to post online if they don't meet their conditions for a find. Now we have the reverse.

I have adopted the policy of not logging all my finds on line (just when I want to thank the owner for an enjoyable cache) ; I keep a personal written log. I find that I am now more selective about my searches; I am less inclined to go after or persist in looking for caches that are just not fun to me. The fun is in the hunt, not in the count.

I am not saying anyone should do as I do, its just how I now get the most enjoyment out of the sport.

6199monacloseuplongmaneaj3.jpg300pxsilzcheval2vg3.jpg37551547gy4.jpg

Jog your memory? ;)

Jog your memory? ;)

ROTFL

Jog your memory? :laughing:

ROTFL

Wrong end I believe :laughing::laughing:

I have some friends in cities scattered across the US who own geocaching accounts and who eagerly go caching with me when we are spending time together, but they never log their find online unless they feel that the cache was particularly noteworthy and of high quality; that leaves out the LUMs.

If I accidentally run into a LUM, I just quietly stand there and let everyone else sign the logbook. When I get home, I'll hit the ignore button to remove those caches from my PQs. On the flip side, if I find a really fun cache, I'll leave a nice long log detailing my adventure and showing appreciation to the owner. Edited by TrailGators

I think that it pretty humorous to watch people one minute claim that they have no interest in the "numbers" aspect of this game and the next minute make statements to the effect of: "With xxxx caches under my belt blah, blah, blah" or "Having found xxxx number of caches I believe blah....blah....blah".

Exceedingly humorous would be more like it. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I think that it pretty humorous to watch people one minute claim that they have no interest in the "numbers" aspect of this game and the next minute make statements to the effect of: "With xxxx caches under my belt blah, blah, blah" or "Having found xxxx number of caches I believe blah....blah....blah".

Just goes to prove that you are what you do and not what you say you do.

Just goes to prove that you are what you do and not what you say you do.

Yeah, tell me about it. B)

I've found this once also. We were out one day and ran into another family. We did back to back caches together, and when I logged them online, I mentioned caching with them but they never logged either cache. I like reading everyone's experience befroe we try it since it helps determine whether it is kid friendly or even possible for us to do in a certain time, etc.

I'm not into the numbers game, however there are some discussions where your level of experience is pertinent. If someone complains about the environmental impact of caches, I may respond that I've seen little evidience of it during 500 cache hunts. Doesn't mean that I care about numbers, only that I'm speaking with a certain level of experience with the issue.

One need not log a cache to move a coin/TB.

Yes, you must post a log of some kind to drop it, but you can then delete the log if you wish, and the coin/TB stays dropped.

I suppose you could delete your log on the coin/TB page, and it would seem to have been magically transported to the new location...of course the owner would know what was going on.

There are a few reasons to not log online...some paranoid types think someone will track their movements! :laughing:

On the other hand I am more concerned with the few who will log online, but do not sign the physical log in the cache...they may not even OPEN it!

I'm not into the numbers game, however there are some discussions where your level of experience is pertinent. If someone complains about the environmental impact of caches, I may respond that I've seen little evidience of it during 500 cache hunts. Doesn't mean that I care about numbers, only that I'm speaking with a certain level of experience with the issue.
Nowadays people are finding 500 caches in as little as 3 months because super easy caches are so much more plentiful. So I'm not so sure you can just use numbers alone to judge experience.

Exceedingly humorous would be more like it. B):laughing::laughing:

Nowadays people are finding 500 caches in as little as 3 months because super easy caches are so much more plentiful. So I'm not so sure you can just use numbers alone to judge experience.

Couldn't agree more. :laughing:

And the interesting thing about it is that from what I've seen, those with the REALLY BIG numbers seldom find need to mention it.

Edited by Team Cotati

One of my good friends caches with me on occassion as well as with others. He has an account that someone set up for him at one time or another however he has no computer (there are some people out there who don't, believe it or not). He worked for me for a few days and bought the most basic GPS, hand writes coords to enter later from my GPS or from my field notebook. He keeps all of his logs and notes in a notebook and I am not sure that he will ever logs his finds, maybe one day. He is not interested in numbers (I know that some think that everyone is) but this guy has no idea how many he has found.

I don't know if I have ever seen anyone who loves the outdoors more than him. Maybe this is just another way to be outside doing something and the caching just happens because he is with someone who is caching. I don't ask I just enjoy having an avid outdoorsman there to share in the search and enjoy the conversation along the way.

This guy had quite a fall a couple of weeks ago. Broke both wrists and his ankle. He will be down for a while but I'm sure that just as soon as he gets back out he will be caching, writing long hand and not techno-logging.