Camouflage 2.0

GPS_Runner

No doubt having some sort of "signature" painting style on your larger caches can distinguish you from the rest of the pack. The shadow leaf design you use reminds me of some of the duck boats I've seen painted much like that.

I've been working on one for several months, a little at a time. This one will be in the woods obviously and is intended to foil the casual glances of potential muggle type folks. I used a contractor's adhesive to hold the birch bark and put several layers of a spray aerosol polyurethane to weatherproof the bark. I'm considering doing a few more using a spray on glue and "dusting" the container with other natural materials like dry grass, ground up tree bark or maybe even course sand. I'd expect wear and tear on the cache to eventually require some fix up repairs but the satisfaction of what cachers say in their log comments is reward enough to go to this much effort.

birchcache.jpg

Keep up the good work. It inspires others to try a little harder on their next ones too! :P

No doubt having some sort of "signature" painting style on your larger caches can distinguish you from the rest of the pack. The shadow leaf design you use reminds me of some of the duck boats I've seen painted much like that.

I've been working on one for several months, a little at a time. This one will be in the woods obviously and is intended to foil the casual glances of potential muggle type folks. I used a contractor's adhesive to hold the birch bark and put several layers of a spray aerosol polyurethane to weatherproof the bark. I'm considering doing a few more using a spray on glue and "dusting" the container with other natural materials like dry grass, ground up tree bark or maybe even course sand. I'd expect wear and tear on the cache to eventually require some fix up repairs but the satisfaction of what cachers say in their log comments is reward enough to go to this much effort.

birchcache.jpg

Keep up the good work. It inspires others to try a little harder on their next ones too! B)

Wow!! That is absolutely amazing!! Great job on that birch bark. I wonder if the same effect can be achieved using other kinds of bark (not a lot of birches in our area). The birch bark is a lot thinner, which probably made it a lot easier to work with.

The paint job on the first two ammo cans is awesome, too! I can't paint to save my life, :P but I always admire the camo painted containers. Great great job! B)

Wow!! That is absolutely amazing!! Great job on that birch bark. I wonder if the same effect can be achieved using other kinds of bark (not a lot of birches in our area). The birch bark is a lot thinner, which probably made it a lot easier to work with.

The paint job on the first two ammo cans is awesome, too! I can't paint to save my life, :P but I always admire the camo painted containers. Great great job! B)

I agree the great job on the ammo cans, all three. The job on the first two will be judged by the placement, how closely it blends with the surroundings.

Not many birches in my neck either, was playing with some oak bark peeled from deadfalls. Glues down OK, but since it is already rotting to peel easily, needs work on preservation and insect control.

I just got an ammo can, and we're looking at glueing mosses to it to break up the shape and so that we can almost literally place it on a rock and have it be Hidden!!

just researching what kind of mosses are available locally and how hard they are to work with... it will be a nice project for the fall...

Cheers.

I was sick of seeing boring Tupperware containers so I decided to create my own container. I hollowed out an old log that was laying around in the back yard, sawed off the top to make a lid, and stuck a nail in so that the lid could swivel. I hope to place it tonight, and hopefully it gives people a challenging cache to find!

dsc0252bb0.jpg

dsc0253kv1.jpg

I was sick of seeing boring Tupperware containers so I decided to create my own container. I hollowed out an old log that was laying around in the back yard, sawed off the top to make a lid, and stuck a nail in so that the lid could swivel. I hope to place it tonight, and hopefully it gives people a challenging cache to find!

dsc0252bb0.jpg

dsc0253kv1.jpg

Great cammo! Just please tell me that you are not planning on using the glass Mason jar as the container, right? It's there to give us perspective for the photo, right?

dsc0252bb0.jpg

dsc0253kv1.jpg

Interesting cache but the straight lines of your saw cuts will make this one fairly easy to find. Once again, there aren't too many straight lines in nature.

dsc0252bb0.jpg

dsc0253kv1.jpg

Interesting cache but the straight lines of your saw cuts will make this one fairly easy to find. Once again, there aren't too many straight lines in nature.

Yup it would stick right out like a sore thumb :laughing:

stumps.jpg

:o:D

dsc0252bb0.jpg

dsc0253kv1.jpg

Yup it would stick right out like a sore thumb :o

stumps.jpg

:D:D

It sure would (or should I say wood???)!!!!!! Considering that the coordinates would get me within feet of the cache, the ability of the cache to blend in with its natural surroundings are still suspect. See most, if not all of those stumps are connected to the ground via a root system, something this cache is sorely missing. Just because something looks cool doesn't mean it will actually work in the wild. Now if I looked for the cache on a windy day and noticed that those leaves on top of it weren't blowing away, I'd also have to scratch my head.

See I spent twenty years getting paid to be observant in order to protect folks like you. If you pay attention, you might learn something!!!!! :laughing::):D

It sure would (or should I say wood???)!!!!!! Considering that the coordinates would get me within feet of the cache, the ability of the cache to blend in with its natural surroundings are still suspect. See most, if not all of those stumps are connected to the ground via a root system, something this cache is sorely missing. Just because something looks cool doesn't mean it will actually work in the wild. Now if I looked for the cache on a windy day and noticed that those leaves on top of it weren't blowing away, I'd also have to scratch my head.

See I spent twenty years getting paid to be observant in order to protect folks like you. If you pay attention, you might learn something!!!!! :):D:D

Well then after all that work relax and enjoy the game, the rest of us Veterans (21 years for me) will maintain watch while you cache. :D

We may find it easy, but some of the uninitiated will just sit on the stump and look at their GPS wondering where the cache went. B)

dsc0252bb0.jpg

dsc0253kv1.jpg

Not bad. Is that a jar of moon shine for the FTF? Great idea!

To get rid of the saw line hollow out the bottom and glue some magnets to the bottom of your tupperware and screw a utility box cover (yes I know it is ELECTRICAL equipment, but jeez) to the bottom of the hollow out and stick your tupperware to it. Nice little piece of wood and no saw marks.

Jim

I know that the saw lines and the glued leaves are obvious, but my town only has two geocaches and they consist of camouflage duct taped Tupperware containers so I wanted to do something a little different... It's not supposed to be the most technically perfect cache ever made, it's just different camouflage to spice up the caches in my town.

I know that the saw lines and the glued leaves are obvious, but my town only has two geocaches and they consist of camouflage duct taped Tupperware containers so I wanted to do something a little different... It's not supposed to be the most technically perfect cache ever made, it's just different camouflage to spice up the caches in my town.

I think it looks great. Most geocachers will miss it at first glance and muggles will likely never notice it.

I think it looks great. Most geocachers will miss it at first glance and muggles will likely never notice it.

Yes I agree, most of the time you are hiding them from the casual observer walking by it. Once you get to GZ there are very few that will evade close scrutiny. The out of the norm containers are my favorites, especially when the container has something to do with the name or location of the cache. I have found myself laughing out loud in the middle of the woods at some of the containers I have found.

I prefer to use existing structures to camo my ammo cans.

Here is my latest hide....

and I do get lots of comments !

I would have used a slightly more transparent color selection for this particular hide. Something like......

newcolorstb1.jpg

Just my thoughts. :)

But really, I laughed sooo hard when I saw your post! Too funny! ;)

I prefer to use existing structures to camo my ammo cans.

Here is my latest hide....

and I do get lots of comments !

I would have used a slightly more transparent color selection for this particular hide. Something like......

newcolorstb1.jpg

Just my thoughts. B)

But really, I laughed sooo hard when I saw your post! Too funny! :huh:

That's great!

-Mark.

Where do I buy some of that camo?

I got mine from Adobe. I think it was called something like Photoshop CS3. The hard part was finding the Geocache Container Plugin and applying it to the real world. Not to mention discovering where the cache was geographically located and driving there... :anitongue:

dsc0252bb0.jpg

dsc0253kv1.jpg

Nicely done. Different is always nice. :laughing:

Here some of my camo jobs! Just a little different is aways nice. Just so it is not the same thing over and over !

:o

:anibad::o:lol::huh::o;)

Nicely done. Different is always nice. :laughing:

Here some of my camo jobs! Just a little different is aways nice. Just so it is not the same thing over and over !

:anibad:

:o:o:o:lol:B)B)

Heh Heh that would make a nice geocoin delivery vehicle aka mail truck!

Or maybe one of them Brown delivery trucks ! LOL !! :D:huh:;)

See I spent twenty years getting paid to be observant in order to protect folks like you. If you pay attention, you might learn something!!!!!

that seems very condecending...

It's all good, we all have them kind of days. The trick is to let it go and enjoy the game.

So staying on que...has anyone done pinecone camo (real pinecone)? I tried this weekend and just made a mess, seems the core is not thick enough to hollow out unless you use a real thin container.

So staying on que...has anyone done pinecone camo (real pinecone)? I tried this weekend and just made a mess, seems the core is not thick enough to hollow out unless you use a real thin container.

As much as i keep hearing about this technique I will have to try it.

I'll let you know my results.

In the meantime, this cache has yielded a few DNFs.

We just released it.

lakecache.jpg

As much as i keep hearing about this technique I will have to try it.

I'll let you know my results.

We just released it.

lakecache.jpg

I seen many pics of pinecone caches, but they may be larger than the ones we get around here. As for your cache, looks good from here. How big is the container?

We just released it.

lakecache.jpg

I seen many pics of pinecone caches, but they may be larger than the ones we get around here. As for your cache, looks good from here. How big is the container?

LOL, it's actually a waterproof matchstick container.

I have a similar one, that has a larger container inside.

Unfortunately this is Cherry, so it's very hard to manipulate it.