Paperless caching?

sinishi

I'm just wondering, if you use a PDA for paperless caching, what PDA do you use and how well does it work? How much do you like it? If you had to do it all over again, would you use the same PDA or get a new one?

Thanks for your answers! :(

Was a little late in getting into paperless caching. Using and trying to get used to using the Nokia N800 data tablet linked bluetooth to my Verizon Razr then BBA. The N800 downloads either the the geocaching.com website page or optionally the WAP version. GPSr is Delorme PN-20 using Delorme topo.

I have a Palm M500 which I have used for more than five years. When I started Geocaching, I purchased Cachemate for $8.00 and I love that little program. The M500 connects with USB, instead of the Serial Port, and can be purchased on eBay for around $30.00, including the shipping.

I also got an inexpensive hard case for it, because when you are caching, things can happen, and PDAs are fragile.

Another model that is good, if you want to spend just a bit more money is the Zire 72 Silver Edition. It has a few more features, including a camera. There isn't any reason to invest more money for a PDA for caching.

I'm just wondering, if you use a PDA for paperless caching, what PDA do you use and how well does it work? How much do you like it? If you had to do it all over again, would you use the same PDA or get a new one?

Thanks for your answers! :(

I've used a couple PDAs. Any PDA should work as long as you can view it in sunlight and it has enough memory (8GB or more is better). I've actually gone away from messing with a PDA and enjoy finding caches with just my GPS. It adds some more fun to it for me. Edited by TrailGators

I use a Palm m125. I done like you and asked several people on this forum what they thought, and between all the recommendations, that model came up several times.

I got it for several features it had:

Monochrome screen (can see it in sunlight)

USB cradle instead of serial.

Backlight (for night caching)

Uses standard AAA batteries I can get and change away from power sources.

Has 8MB internal memory & has a SD card slot. With a 512 MB card has no lack of storage space.

I think it works really well, and I would get one all over again. I loaded the card up with lots of free Palm programs and I use it for tons of things aside from caching.

I use a Dell Axim X-5. You can pick one up for not much more than an older PDA and it can do so much more. I use it not only for caching, but for work and for persnal enjoyment (mp3 player and video player). If all you want to do is cache, then a very cheap pda is the ticket, but if you feel you will use it more than that, I would suggest the Axim.

I use a Palm m125. I done like you and asked several people on this forum what they thought, and between all the recommendations, that model came up several times.

I got it for several features it had:

Monochrome screen (can see it in sunlight)

USB cradle instead of serial.

Backlight (for night caching)

Uses standard AAA batteries I can get and change away from power sources.

Has 8MB internal memory & has a SD card slot. With a 512 MB card has no lack of storage space.

I think it works really well, and I would get one all over again. I loaded the card up with lots of free Palm programs and I use it for tons of things aside from caching.

Ditto 100% to what Airmapper said! May I add, I got mine on eBay for $15!

I bought a used Palm m125 from ebay for around $20. It has worked great and I don't know how I cached before it. Unless you plan to use your Palm for work I would not get an expensive one. Too much can happen to it while caching to get an expensive one. One feature that is nice is a SD slot. That way you can load as many chaches onto your Palm as you would like. I have thousands of caches on mine with a 128 card in it. I believe that my internal memory is only 8MB. Good luck.

Thanks for your answers! :P

I hope this the right thread to attach to, but I was thinking about paperless caches and did not want to shell out big dollar$ for a PDA just to geocache. I have an older Handspring Ice that runs Palm software. With work I have limited free time to cache and the less I have to carry around the easier it will be. Any clues or info to help me out will be greatly appreciated.

I was given a older Palm V so I put it to use using CacheMate. Although the Palm V only has 2MB of RAM it still holds over 500 cache pages. This is way more caches than I could get in a year. Hey the Palm V was given to me so the way I look at it I got into "Paperless Caching for $8.00 (cost of CacheMate). I have a Palm Vx for backup if the Palm V ever gives out. Yeah I know the Palm Vx has more RAM and is a bit faster, but I am all set up with the Palm V so why change a good thing. :P

Thanks for your answers! :P

I hope this the right thread to attach to, but I was thinking about paperless caches and did not want to shell out big dollar$ for a PDA just to geocache. I have an older Handspring Ice that runs Palm software. With work I have limited free time to cache and the less I have to carry around the easier it will be. Any clues or info to help me out will be greatly appreciated.

If the Handspring runs Palm software, Cachemate should work great. I use GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) to Export the data in the correct format. When I was traveling, I had the data for more than 3000 caches in different databases in Cachemate on my Palm.

I have a Palm TX running cachemate. I use GSAK on my laptop. (Like most.)

I don't have issues seeing the Palm TX's screen in broad daylight, but I adjusted the colors out in the sun to which combination showed up the best for me.

Maybe it is overkill, but it does a lot of other things for me besides geocaching.

As an above cacher said, I used the Florida Geocaching site to coordinate it all (and figure it all out). If you search, you'll find a lot of helpful information on how to get it all to work. (And figure out what's the best method for you.)

I will recommend that when you're experimenting you back up databases on a removable USB drive so if you mess up something, you can get it back. (But I recommend this for a lot of things!)

I use an HP Ipaq RX3115 that I already had for other reasons. I have a separate SD card for my GSAK downloads and a separate SD card for my audiobooks, and another one for music. I have found it very easy to use for paperless caching. I created folders on the card for caches in my area, caches in another state I traveled to and one for puzzle caches. This just helps me keep things a little more organized. The IPAQ has wireless connection so if I can grab a signal somewhere (McDonald's, Holiday Inn parking lots), I can go online and check caches if need be.

I'm currently using a Palm III with 8 mb of built-in memory with Cachemate. I love that program. The PDA has a b/w screen and of course I don't get the images that come along with the cache descriptions. I can get ~1600 caches into it with up to 10 logs each. Not bad, but I want more. I live in a cache dense area and my coverage with those 1600 caches is <28 miles.

What's my cheapest option to upgrading to a color model and more memory? Will Cachemate load images into it's descriptions if you have a color screen?

Unless you plan to use your Palm for work I would not get an expensive one. Too much can happen to it while caching to get an expensive one.

Totally agree with this. I bought a Sony Clie on ebay about 3 years ago for about 80 bucks. I installed Cachemate on it, and I load all my caches into that on the PDA. Nothing fancy, but is sure beats carrying reams of paper around the woods!

We bought a nice Palm515 off of ebay for nearly $80 more than six months ago. We were so tickled with it that we wanted to protect it and keep it safe, so when we upgraded our gps we purchased a screen protector for both gadgets. The screen protector went on the gps quite easily and gave us the confidence to apply one to the Palm as well. Bad move, we fouled it up and got water damage on the screen rendering the gizmo useless. Wish I'da bought the warranty for the palm, but I didn't so what am I gonna do???? Simple - I learned how to run a macro, downloaded a book reader to my blackberry and now I've got cache pages on my phone, just like if I had printed them out of the computer. Now, if only I had known sooner that I could use my BB for caching I'd have saved myself $80 and the headache. (btw, we're not putting a screen protector on the phone. Nu huh and no way!!)

I just started paperless caching and so far it's great! My brother had a Sony Clie NR70V so I checked on eBay and got one there. It's old technology and only has a small amount of memory (it has a memory stick but I'm not sure that the Cachemate data gets stored there). Anyway, as I said, I use Cachemate along with GSAK and it works just fine. I think that I have over 1000 waypoints in the Clie which is more than my Garmin GPS will hold so I'm covered. I also use a Magellan 4000 to give me on-road directions (via custom POI's) to cache locations when I'm alone. That way I don't have to be watching the tiny Garmin screen when I'm driving. I love these gadgets!

Pardon my ignorance, but regarding paperless caching, can you also use the PDA for primary mapping (street and topo) and navigating?

For example, could you place a handheld GPSr on your dashboard (basically using just the built in antenna and receiver), and then use an interface cable to your PDA and use the PDA for on screen navigation? Could I use this setup in the car, and then when I reach the trail, just unplug the PDA, grab the GPSr and follow the arrow?

I'm wondering because I'm looking at purchasing a GPSr and comparing a $300 "do-it-all" handheld such as a GPSMAP 60CSx vs. buying a $100 eTrexH plus a PDA.

Pardon my ignorance, but regarding paperless caching, can you also use the PDA for primary mapping (street and topo) and navigating?

YES- I use Mapopolis in my iPaq Pocket PC although the program and maps will no longer be updated although they are still available. There may be others out there. I also have topo maps from National Geographic.

For example, could you place a handheld GPSr on your dashboard (basically using just the built in antenna and receiver), and then use an interface cable to your PDA and use the PDA for on screen navigation? Could I use this setup in the car, and then when I reach the trail, just unplug the PDA, grab the GPSr and follow the arrow?

YES although I no longer use a cable to my hand-held Vista. I bought a separate GPS that slips in to the memory slot and provides direct navigation without the hand-held. I also use my PPC in the woods and although I haven't dropped it in the stream yet, it really isn't as resistant to problems like that as my regular Vista.

I'm wondering because I'm looking at purchasing a GPSr and comparing a $300 "do-it-all" handheld such as a GPSMAP 60CSx vs. buying a $100 eTrexH plus a PDA.

The 60CSx is a great unit but won't give you paperless. You could get a cheap PDA however with out the bells and whistles that I use in my iPaq.

Tradeoff, tradeoffs. Life isn't simple!

Edited by Alan2

I use a Mio P350. This is a pocket Pc with GPS. I bought this for Geocaching before I really knew about geocaching but it is very useful. I have on it Fugawi maps for the region I'm caching in (ordanance survey for here in UK), Gpx sonor and or GPX view- these are for the paperless caching. I prefer the latter. On my PC I use the great GSAK (well worth registering with) for transferring to the PDA (PPC). The mio is good as I can use it as a sat-nav with miomap but battery life can only be 3 or 4 hours in the field. I have got a "Monkey" power-supply to charge it if need be away from a power source.

Alan