GPS unit

rileyjackson

My first unit was a 210 and I can give it glowing remarks. Here are my opinions (good and bad):

Accuracy is very good and it gets very good reception if the woods.

It's easy to use

It's easy to load up the cache info through either GSAK or Magellan's Geocache Manager. It hooks up to your computer via USB. (Lower end Garmins use serial. To get USB on a Garmin, you're going to have to spend more money.) Some don't mind using serial hook-ups, but it'd drive me batty to have to turn off my computer every time I wanted to hook it up.

It can only hold 200 waypoints per database. But, you can load multiple databases. (I found that way to be easier than the unlimited waypoints on other units - again, just my opinion.)

It's battery friendly. If you're not using the backlight, the batteries last a looong time. (But using the backlight eats them up pretty fast.)

All in all, I loved the little unit and it still gets used by my daughter. I confess that I upgraded to Garmin's 60CSX and I love that one even more. (And wouldn't switch back.)

For the money, though, I think it's a terrific value. I was lucky that the 210 was my first unit and I never encountered the pains of manually having to enter coordinates for all the caches I wanted to visit. I felt like I hit a home run on my first purchase. If it's your first unit, it's not a bad unit at all. Start out with it, see if you like the hobby and plan on sticking with it. Later on, you can upgrade after you've had a chance to see what you'll want, or what you don't need, without having spent a fortune.

Good Luck!

Edited to add: I looked at the link again. The display on MY 210 doesn't look like the one in the ad. The one in the ad looks more like a photo pasted on it. My display looks more like a traditional b&w LCD display.

Edited by Jenischmeni

NEVER buy from Magellan. The heart burn you get from their lack of customer service just isn't worth it. I used to read all the complaints about lack of service and ask myself, "what are these guys talking about?", now that I'm on the receiving end of their "servicing" I KNOW. STAY AWAY! PLEASE!