Garmin GPS MAP 76CSx

tac_ops_gps

Hello all. New to the sport, and looking for some input on a GPS device. I am currently running the Garmin eTrex Summit, and although it performs adequately, it isn't as functional as I would like for caching- not to mention being a little short in the capabilities department for other intended uses.

I am considering the Garmin GPS MAP 76CSx. Cost considerations aside, has anyone had any difficulties with this unit or applicable accessories? Also looking for input on good software if anyone cares to suggest some.

Thanks in advance.

Hello all. New to the sport, and looking for some input on a GPS device. I am currently running the Garmin eTrex Summit, and although it performs adequately, it isn't as functional as I would like for caching- not to mention being a little short in the capabilities department for other intended uses.

I am considering the Garmin GPS MAP 76CSx. Cost considerations aside, has anyone had any difficulties with this unit or applicable accessories? Also looking for input on good software if anyone cares to suggest some.

Thanks in advance.

I love my 76CSX with the more sensitive sirf chip and the expandable memory ( SD micro card )

Color screen is easy see and bright even in direct sunlight.

Sirf chip picks up signals even inside my house.

I have a 1 gig sd micro card in mine which holds all the TOPO and City Select software I need or want.

Can't go wrong with this gps

I also am pleased with my 76csx,with a 1 gig chip,I also have Topo Canada,Topo USA 2008 and Topo USA National Parks West.The 76csx has the same software as the 60csx ,but I found the 60 csx hard to hold and push the buttons with one hand.Also the 76 csx floats.This unit works well and has very good reception,the only real notacible clitch it has is the odd time it hesitates for a second or two when you push a button.It also has a larger screen than the Etrex series.The Etrex series is for people with perfect vision.I also have the 25mcx antenna,which I can clip to the shoulder strap of my pack, if I want to put the gps in my pack and record a track.Although the reception is very good with this unit,if you are the forest,and holding the unit in your hand ,with your arm straight down by your side,your reception will become questionable,but if you hold it so you can see the screen it will be fine.

I've had a 76CSx for a few months now and I love it. I also bought a couple of Gilsson cases for it, which I also like.

Pretty much my only complaint was that the basemaps weren't all that brilliant. But I got involved with openstreetmap.org and there are some utilities to convert OSM map data into Garmin format.

I suspect I'll eventually buy one of the new HCX units as a second GPS. But the 76CSx serves my purposes very nicely and I have no plans to switch. And from what I gather, there are still a few firmware issues on the HCX that Garmin still need to sort out.

How is the reception? Anyone compare it to the 60 CSx? The 60 has an external antenna and therefore, should have better reception? I am in a toss up right now between getting the 60 CSX w/$50 rebate, the New Vista HCx, or 76 CSx. I need the biggest screen available for a pocket GPS that's why I am leaning toward the 76 but in a way I dont want to get it cuz a few years ago Garmin had a $100 rebate on it and I passed cuz I didn't like the look of the 76 and I didn't need it back then...I was happy with my Etrex Legend.

The 60 csx and the 76 csx are identical,just a different case and the antenna on the 60csx is more apparent when you look at the unit,but their reception is the same,the same SIRF 111 reciever in each unit.Both units can be connected to a remote antenna,you can do a comparison on Garmins site .The only 2 differances,the case styles and the 76 floats,the 76 seems easier to me to operate with one hand ,it is wider than the 60 so you need bigger hands,Walmart sells the 60cx and the 76cx (where I live in Canada) go and hold both and then decide.The big screen is nice they are not heavy but not a pocket size unit like an Etrex either.You need good vision for the Etrex units.