city navigator v8

MREAGLEWO1

I just purchased version 2008 for my new 60CSx. My son has a Etrex vista Hcx and it cannot use the maps unless I purchase a seperate unlock code. Also, trying to simply load the maps on the SD memory card and install it in the second GPS does not work. The second unit simply says that it can't access the card.

When I called Garmin, they said that there was no discount for adding a second unit. That stinks in my opinion.

V 8 will work on two units, I just loaded it on our second 60Cx three days ago and it went without a hitch. I just received V 8 two months ago.

Ver 2008, which I will be loading on my other unit, will only work on one as stated.

The s/n of the unit, combined with the code provided with the software, go to the Garmin site, and it will give you your unlock code which ONLY works on the unit provided.

Depending on when you purchased V2008 garmin will allow you to add a second GPS, but you will have to contact their tech support directly.

Just got off the phone with Garmin's customer support. They are not offering a free second unlock code for CN2008; you would have to pay for it. Bummer :-(

Edited by Glenn W

In addition to reducing the unlock codes from 2 down to 1, there is another policy change that I was informed of yesterday.

I have two units, a 76C and a 76Cx. I had previously installed City Navigator on both of them, using the codes supplied with the program. Yesterday, I decided that I would purchase the upgrade to v2008 for my 76Cx. After logging into MyGarmin account, it indicated that there were no updates available for that unit.

I called technical support and inquired about this. I was informed that since my 76C was registered first, it was my “Primary Unit”. And that because the unlock code policy had changed since I purchased CN8, that only my “Primary Unit” was eligible for the upgrade. I explained that I only used the 76C as my backup and that I would like to install it on my 76Cx. He said that was not possible and that I would have to purchase a full version of CN2008 (v9). Well, to make a long story short, after asking to speak to the supervisor, and pleading my case, he agreed to sell my the full version for my 76Cx at the upgrade price.

I know that I could have purchased the upgrade from another source, but the point is that Garmin’s policy seems a bit backwards.

Depending on when you purchased V2008 garmin will allow you to add a second GPS, but you will have to contact their tech support directly.

Wow that's news to me. Just curious where you received this info and what the details are? You are the first one to say that Garmin will give more that one unlock for CN 2008. From what I understand it’s a licensing issue from an outside vendor that caused the change. If this is true then Garmin is violating the licensing agreement from that vendor and I don’t think they would ever take a chance like that.

The same exact same thing happened to me. They would not upgrade to my second unit.

Forcing me to pay full price (which I wont). Unless I can get upgrade price I'm done buying maps from garmin!!

My next GPS will be in my phone and Google maps will always be updated.

and I'll never have to pay for maps again.

In addition to reducing the unlock codes from 2 down to 1, there is another policy change that I was informed of yesterday.

I have two units, a 76C and a 76Cx. I had previously installed City Navigator on both of them, using the codes supplied with the program. Yesterday, I decided that I would purchase the upgrade to v2008 for my 76Cx. After logging into MyGarmin account, it indicated that there were no updates available for that unit.

I called technical support and inquired about this. I was informed that since my 76C was registered first, it was my “Primary Unit”. And that because the unlock code policy had changed since I purchased CN8, that only my “Primary Unit” was eligible for the upgrade. I explained that I only used the 76C as my backup and that I would like to install it on my 76Cx. He said that was not possible and that I would have to purchase a full version of CN2008 (v9). Well, to make a long story short, after asking to speak to the supervisor, and pleading my case, he agreed to sell my the full version for my 76Cx at the upgrade price.

I know that I could have purchased the upgrade from another source, but the point is that Garmin’s policy seems a bit backwards.