My Activated Geocoins

Theotokos

I've collected Ancient coins for a long time so when I started into geocaching, geocoins appealed to me right away. So I've slowly been buying some Geocoins. When I got my first ones, someone told me to go ahead and activate them so I can keep a log of them on my caching profile. Now I'm not so sure if that was such a wise thing to do.

So my question is this, if I want to trade any of them or join in on a future secret mission would these activated coins still qualify as trade material or should I be trying to get some new unactivated coins especially for trading? Thanks.

I've collected Ancient coins for a long time so when I started into geocaching, geocoins appealed to me right away. So I've slowly been buying some Geocoins. When I got my first ones, someone told me to go ahead and activate them so I can keep a log of them on my caching profile. Now I'm not so sure if that was such a wise thing to do.

So my question is this, if I want to trade any of them or join in on a future secret mission would these activated coins still qualify as trade material or should I be trying to get some new unactivated coins especially for trading? Thanks.

I love activating my coins. I get a kick out of sharing the icons with others. But I know when I activate the coin, I have taken value away from it. I personally, will trade for or buy and activated coin, but only if there are no logs on it. Some people won't because they never activate their coins. So when trading, always be honest about that.

I don't think they would work on secret missions. For the secret missions, you should be sending unactivated coins.

If you don't activate the coin at least pull the activation code or keep track of where to find it.

I was up to 100+ coins before I thought of keeping track of the codes and it was quite stressful trying to find them. Those that came with the codes in the sleeves were the peskiest as I'd lost many of the slips. Start your record keeping early. That's my 0.05$ worth.

If you don't activate the coin at least pull the activation code or keep track of where to find it.

I was up to 100+ coins before I thought of keeping track of the codes and it was quite stressful trying to find them. Those that came with the codes in the sleeves were the peskiest as I'd lost many of the slips. Start your record keeping early. That's my 0.05$ worth.

Thanks...that is one thing I've been doing. I have a spreadsheet of the tracking number and activation code. I also note the reference number of the item from when I activated it - not sure that is a big deal or not but it does quickly tell me which I have and haven't activated.

I don't think they would work on secret missions. For the secret missions, you should be sending unactivated coins.

I've been reading the thread about the last mission that took place and I had a lot of fun even though I wasn't part of it. I really want to get in on the next one so I will get myself some new coins and make sure I am very selective about what I do and don't activate. I like the icons too which is why I activated some coins but in hind sight, I shouldn't have activated more than one of the same kind.

D'oh...

Never thought of the activation codes.... Im well, well over 100, and perhaps need to start thinking of that.

Thanks for mentioning that - was absolutely helpful! :D

CinemaBoxers, most of the codes can be found at http://www.coincodes.com , http://www.geocoinclub.com ,

http://www.oakcoins.com/activate , any others, anyone here can help you. :)

Edited by Big JohnP

Other things to consider about activation codes -

A. if you are NOT activating

1. If the activation code comes with the coin BE SURE TO KEEP IT

If you ever decide to activate the coin, this may be the only source for the activation code

If you ever want to sell or trade the coin, this may be the only way for the buyer/trader to get the code

You will have a very annoyed customer, if they want to activate the coin and you cannot provide the code

2. If the activation code does not come with the coin, consider retrieving it

This will ensure that you have it, even if the website that distributes the codes goes belly-up

It also protects against someone mis-reading the code on their coin, and retrieving the code for your coin

Note that if someone retrieves your activation code and activates the coin, you are now out of luck as far as activating it yourself

Note also that activation codes can usually only be retrieved once (which is to say, once you have retrieved it, nobody else can - by accident or on purpose)

Once you retrieve an activation code, treat as described in #1 above

B. if you ARE activating

1. Keep the activation code anyway

The only way to change the activation date and/or activation location is to go through the activation process again - obviously, you need the activation code in order to do this

This may also be important if you sell or trade the coin, and adopt it to a new owner - the new owner may want to change the date and/or location, and would need the activation code in order to do so

Edited by Bhob

Nope, the coins are worthless chunks of junk. They are nothing more than trash taking up space and I think you should think hard about getting rid of them fast!

Now...I'll be more than happy to go to the trouble of cleaning up that mess for you...no charge! I'll even dispose of the trash (at my cost of course), you'll not have even a trace of the garbage left behind!! I'd do this out of the kindness of my heart...from one collector to another!

:):):(:(:(