My Unique (I think) Large TB Idea. An Epiphany!

Snoogans

Everyone loves the big bugs. They move slower, but they seem to be loved a bit more with pictures and discovery logs. They mainly move from event to event and events are my favorite part of geocaching. :D

My "I HEART Geocachers" TB is currently my largest TB and it is very popular. Other large TB's like "Mary Proppins" & her brother "Iggy Prop" have lead interesting lives.

So, for the past couple of months I've had my eye on a large piece of junk that has been sitting in the median at an intersection that I pass every single day going to and from work. :D

The item in question is a door from a mini-bar refrigerator. It's about 3.5 feet long and maybe around 2 feet wide. I'm guessing it probably doesn't weigh much.

Anyhoo, I mentioned that I thought it would make a cool TB to The Snoogstress who proceeded to strictly forbid me to stop and pick it up which just made me want it MORE. :) (BTW-this was about 3 weeks ago.)

So today as I passed it bye for the umpteenth time, I came up with a novel TB idea for that piece of junk and I don't think anyone has done anything quite like it before. Correct me if I'm wrong. BTW- I plan on picking it up on the way home @ 6AM. :)

Here's the idea: I plan to first glue and then screw in place a TB tag and an extra travel slug that I have, but I also plan to invite as many folks that wish to attach one of their own TB tags/Travel Slugs to the item as well to join me AND THEN any finders/movers who wish to attach their own TB can do the same.

That one traveling item could be worth 50 TBs or more over time. It could certainly be a huge loss if it was stolen, but I'm betting a unique TB like this would be well looked after and highly prized.

I envision that it might look like a refrigerator door with a bunch of magnets on it, but the magnets don't move and they are ALLLLLL trackable. :D

0ed9092f-8d6f-4edf-a3df-0f62a4dec513.jpg

What do you think of the idea?

Would you want to send me an activated TB to attach to it for its launch?

Would you want to attach a tag of your own to it if you got hold of it at some point?

There would be some conditions for those that want their tag on this ride: #1 Absolutely NO emailing the holder of the item to do ANYTHING more than say thanks for taking care of it. NO suggestions to the holder and NO prompts to move it along. Ya dig? #2 Abide by the attachment guidelines for those TB tags that are added after its launch.

Any suggestions for a theme and over all name for this TB? My first thought was "Mini-Me" for a name since it's the door off of a mini-bar & refrigerator magnets as a theme. This is not set in stone though.... :D

Thoughts, comments, suggestions....? :D:)

Edited by Snoogans

Has anyone started a rubberband ball? I thought that might make a good tb? someone start it with say 50 rubber bands and make it into a ball and then each person who gets or sees it adda rubber band. Also one of those paper chain things would be neat except you would have to use some other type of material?

I think it is a pretty neat idea. I wouldn't log all the TB's mounted on it, and I wouldn't discover it unless I was moving it myself but I would love to see it.

I see two small problems with the idea.

1. At events you would end up with folks just copying numbers to log. (Of course this is probably only a problem for me because I think that when people do that they end up not being part of the event. Just me.)

2. You would end up with people adding things that were not durable or maybe not appropriate that would deter from the "artsy" look you are going for.

I see two small problems with the idea.

1. At events you would end up with folks just copying numbers to log. (Of course this is probably only a problem for me because I think that when people do that they end up not being part of the event. Just me.)

There are plenty of folks like me who jump at the chance to move a big bug.

If someone just wants to discover all the tags, they're STILL gonna have to spend some time with it if they want to get all the numbers... I don't have any issues with folks that participate this way. If you merely come into contact with the item you deserve to mark a discovery if you choose to do so. Not everyone can be a big bug mover and some don't want to.

2. You would end up with people adding things that were not durable or maybe not appropriate that would deter from the "artsy" look you are going for.

I'm not going for any particular look. I like the way Mary Proppins turned out. Folks can do what they like with it when it's out of my hands as long as they don't try to remove any of the tags that get added to it by their rightful owners. I'm confident that it will turn out fine. It should be launched in not much over a month with its main mission to meet me at GeoWoodstock 6 or ANY GeoWoodstock in the future.

Snoogans, I would love to send you a TB to attach! I think it's a great idea, and for this TB it wouldn't be about the miles.

What if one of its goals is to have a photo taken of it at the event that it's at, with either the TB holder or a group of cachers standing around it? It would be so cool to see pictures of all the folks who regularly "discover" my TB's at events.

Count me in!

(now to find an unactivated TB tag)

If you are saying I can send you a TB to attach then yes I'll have one ready here pretty soon.

Count me in!

As of this moment it appears that there will be at least a dozen TB tags on this fun TB at launch. Looking at the surface area of the item in question, I'm betting it could hold better than a hundred TB tags permanently, glued, pop riveted, or screwed in place.

If you wish to have your TB tag included on this TB at launch you will need to agree to a few conditions.

#1 You will never get your tag back. It will be permanently attached to the TB by Gorilla Glue and some other permanent method such as a pop rivet or screw.

#2 You fully agree to NEVER email a holder of this TB to do anything other than thank them for taking care of it. Absolutely NO contacts to direct its movement or to prompt a holder to move it along.

#3 No destination goals that conflict with the overall goal of this TB to attend geocaching events and especially mega events. You agree that this TB can travel to any event at any time.

#4 No deleting discovery logs on your tag. Honestly, if you are the type to delete discoveries then why on Earth would you want your tag attached to this event TB in the first place?

#5 If it survives that long and we all know most TBs don't, I reserve the right to retire the TB after it has been in circulation for at least 3 years. (Much the same as Mary Proppins, it will make the odd special appearance at big events there after.)

You can put up as many picture and activity goals as you like as long as you agree that the ultimate destination of this bug is to attend as many geocaching events and get as many discovery logs as possible.

If you agree to those conditions and you want to have your own TB tag/travel slug attached to this item for its launch send your ACTIVATED traveler no later than 10/15/07 to:

PRESS Your Luck/TB Project

P.O. Box 516

Missouri City, Texas 77459-0516

Note: If you send an activated coin to be attached to this TB, ONLY the side with the tracking number will be displayed and it may have to be drilled to make it attach permanently.

Projected launch window: 10/29 to 11/9

Edited by Snoogans

I like this idea and would like to join :-)

Would it be possible to get a photo of it before sending it out, to put on my own TB page?

Yeah. I plan on cleaning it up today, so I'll snap a pic and post it. I have a bunch of copy tags for my other TBs so I may use them to estimate about how many TB tags will eventually be able to fit on it.

#5 If it survives that long and we all know most TBs don't, I reserve the right to retire the TB after it has been in circulation for at least 3 years. (Much the same as Mary Proppins, it will make the odd special appearance at big events there after.)

Some clarification on condition #5:

Your tag will be permanently affixed to the TB. If the TB actually lives for 3 years, it will be a valuable piece of personal geocaching history and I'll take it out of open circulation to display at geocaching events. It will never really be permanently retired, so it will continue to travel....with me. The chances of any TB not going MIA in 3 years are not very good.

No you wil not get your tag back. See also condition #1. :(

Sounds like an interesting and fun idea...

I like the idea of a full sized fridge door that would travel and collect kitshcy magnets and trinkets too. Maybe I'll try that one. People are always throwing them out around here.

Thanks for the "props" to my two bugs. It means a lot to Mary and Iggy when they get a mention from the KING of travel bugs. :P

After checking out the surface area of the fridge door and measuring with the copy tags from my other bugs, it appears that it could easily accomodate 200+ TB tags on the front side alone with a bit of room to spare. The sides and backside have MUCH more surface area due the the contours.

It won't be hard to tell which is the primary tag, it will be the one with all of my smashed coins glued around it.

It will be interesting to see just how many and in what fashion folks choose to attach their own TB tags as it travels around. It could easily hold 300+ with tons of room to spare.

With that many TB tags attached, it will be a huge responsibility for the person who takes on the task of moving it on to the next event, but I also think that's the key to it having a long life. It will only be handed off at events and with that many bugs attached to it SOMEBODY will ALWAYS know/remember who has it. It will be a TRUE community bug. I can't wait to launch it!!!

THANKS! B)

I like the idea of a full sized fridge door that would travel and collect kitshcy magnets and trinkets too. Maybe I'll try that one. People are always throwing them out around here.

I'm sure folks will trade magnets on my TB as well. I expect those will be ever changing and subject to just fall off in transit which is why I want the cling-on TB tags to be affixed permanently to the surface.

Folks can sign it or put stickers on it as long as they understand that a TB tag could be placed OVER their signature or sticker at some point since the primary goal is to collect trackable TB Tags, Travel Slugs, and geocoins on its surfaces.

Thanks for the "props" to my two bugs. It means a lot to Mary and Iggy when they get a mention from the KING of travel bugs. B)

No "King" am I. I'm #35 and falling in the top 50 TB movers. That honor goes to MaxB (Warren & Maxine) with over 10K moved. :P

Mary Proppins was simply the most fun I ever had with a TB other than the Starship Enterprise TB that I also had on the same trip with Mary. I took that one to visit The Star Trek Experience in Lost Wages. Mary stayed in my SUV on that outing. B)

47a365ec-f788-420d-87b2-c1c542d37a47.jpg

efa2f4bf-d4ad-41a6-bcda-76f97ede0add.jpg

Edited by Snoogans

After checking out the surface area of the fridge door and measuring with the copy tags from my other bugs, it appears that it could easily accomodate 200+ TB tags on the front side alone with a bit of room to spare. The sides and backside have MUCH more surface area due the the contours.

It won't be hard to tell which is the primary tag, it will be the one with all of my smashed coins glued around it.

It will be interesting to see just how many and in what fashion folks choose to attach their own TB tags as it travels around. It could easily hold 300+ with tons of room to spare.

With that many TB tags attached, it will be a huge responsibility for the person who takes on the task of moving it on to the next event, but I also think that's the key to it having a long life. It will only be handed off at events and with that many bugs attached to it SOMEBODY will ALWAYS know/remember who has it. It will be a TRUE community bug. I can't wait to launch it!!!

THANKS! :D

I'm sure folks will trade magnets on my TB as well. I expect those will be ever changing and subject to just fall off in transit which is why I want the cling-on TB tags to be affixed permanently to the surface.

Folks can sign it or put stickers on it as long as they understand that a TB tag could be placed OVER their signature or sticker at some point since the primary goal is to collect trackable TB Tags, Travel Slugs, and geocoins on its surfaces.

Thanks for the "props" to my two bugs. It means a lot to Mary and Iggy when they get a mention from the KING of travel bugs. :D

No "King" am I. I'm #35 and falling in the top 50 TB movers. That honor goes to MaxB (Warren & Maxine) with over 10K moved. :laughing:

Mary Proppins was simply the most fun I ever had with a TB other than the Starship Enterprise TB that I also had on the same trip with Mary. I took that one to visit The Star Trek Experience in Lost Wages. Mary stayed in my SUV on that outing. :)

47a365ec-f788-420d-87b2-c1c542d37a47.jpg

efa2f4bf-d4ad-41a6-bcda-76f97ede0add.jpg

The Star trek experience :D how come we don´t get things like that over here ?!

//Solan - a Star Trek fan

I've got a 'growing' TB sorta like what you describe going right now. People can add whatever keychains they don't want any more (since like... any store will give out keychains as promotional items), and it just keeps growing.

It's over here.

That one sounds like it's going to end up looking like my keychain "collection"... When I was in grade school I liked to collect keychains and to keep from losing them I just strung them all together. I stopped adding to it in high school but I still have it around (I should start adding again as I have many more keychains now!) It has about 52 keychains on it and weighs somewhere over 5 lbs. :huh:

Note: If you send an activated coin to be attached to this TB, ONLY the side with the tracking number will be displayed and it may have to be drilled to make it attach permanently.

so if i understand correctly, any and all dog tags and coins will be permanently attached (screwed, riveted, glued, what have you) with the tracking number side forever facing OUT? but if pictures of it are taken and published (which will be an inevitability with a TB like this), isnt it a bad thing to have tracking numbers showing? from what i've read, that is never a good idea with TBs.

also, are you saying that this bug will only be brought to cache events? how does that work? one brings it to an event and hands it off to someone else there and then that person brings it to another event and gives it away there and so forth? and in the process, whoever 'discovers' it (sees it out in the open) at each event can log each dog tag/coin attatched to it at the time?

Edited by CowntyCupl

If you are saying I can send you a TB to attach then yes I'll have one ready here pretty soon.

Count me in!

As of this moment it appears that there will be at least a dozen TB tags on this fun TB at launch. Looking at the surface area of the item in question, I'm betting it could hold better than a hundred TB tags permanently, glued, pop riveted, or screwed in place.

If you wish to have your TB tag included on this TB at launch you will need to agree to a few conditions.

#1 You will never get your tag back. It will be permanently attached to the TB by Gorilla Glue and some other permanent method such as a pop rivet or screw.

#2 You fully agree to NEVER email a holder of this TB to do anything other than thank them for taking care of it. Absolutely NO contacts to direct its movement or to prompt a holder to move it along.

#3 No destination goals that conflict with the overall goal of this TB to attend geocaching events and especially mega events. You agree that this TB can travel to any event at any time.

#4 No deleting discovery logs on your tag. Honestly, if you are the type to delete discoveries then why on Earth would you want your tag attached to this event TB in the first place?

You can put up as many picture and activity goals as you like as long as you agree that the ultimate destination of this bug is to attend as many geocaching events and get as many discovery logs as possible.

If you agree to those conditions and you want to have your own TB tag/travel slug attached to this item for its launch send your ACTIVATED traveler no later than 10/15/07 to:

P.O. Box 516

Coin on it´s way, hopefully you´ll get it this comming week. Let me know when you do, thanks

Count me in!

P.O. Box 516

Coin on it´s way, hopefully you´ll get it this comming week. Let me know when you do, thanks

Launch window is now 11/12-11/19 so you have time. :)

Here is the MAIN TB page: (pictures will be posted before launch)

Goin' to Uranus and Huntin' for Kling-ons

Here are all the Kling-On TBs + a Travel Slug Coin:

I'm Stuck On You....

Just Taggin' Along

Community Travel Bug - Going to Uranus and Searching for Klingons - Georeynozos

CyberBug - The VISIBLE Kling-On

Hop On the Bus, Cassady

I Caught a Cold Bug

Popeteer Kiddos TB

The Borg

Sluggo the Homeless Kling-On Travel Coin Ambassador

Those 10 plus 3 pathtags that will accompany their owner's TB tag which I thought was kinda cool.

Quite the incentive to want to move it huh?

There's STILL time. This community TB will not launch until my event planned for 11/19. Send yours in by 11/11 if you wanna get yours on the fridge door BEFORE launch. :):P

Count me in!

P.O. Box 516

By the way, has that baby materialized into this world yet? I see the ultra-sound picture on the fridge.

Is it too late to join this endeavor? Maybe have the absolute cutoff date for mailing be Nov. 1 :D

I release this community TB on 11/19. If you can get it to me BEFORE then, it WILL be included. I'll be attaching ANY late arrivals at the event, because I'm SURE someone will show up with a tag and want to attach it.

The baby is actually due on 12/26, but we're actually expecting delivery around the 19th or 20th.

WOW what a great idea! At first i wasn't sure what this "thing" might look like or how it was going to work. But after reading ALL the logs I realized this was something VERY COOL!! If i have till the Nov 11 I should be able to send a TB up in a couple of days...I'll see what i can find; if i can't find anything in a couple of days i won't slow ya down.

Great idea Snoogy, I love it! I would definately want to share in this bugs adventures...

:D

I'm hoping that most of the folks that get hold of it feel the same way. Talk about a vested interest to insure it's safety. :D

I just hope it doesn't get too intimidating to think of all the TB tag owners watching and hoping + all the folks that put a watch on them.

If ya wanna send a tag you have until the 19th to get it to me..... :D

Please tell me you'll all smudge all the tracking numbers in the photos with a photo editor. Or try to take the pictures so they can't be read.

Snoogans, maybe you can make a note on the main TB page that numbers should not be shown in public?

Edited by Eartha

Please tell me you'll all smudge all the tracking numbers in the photos with a photo editor. Or try to take the pictures so they can't be read.

Snoogans, maybe you can make a note on the main TB page that numbers should not be shown in public?

I'll do that. I had planned to take the shots at a distance. It really does look pretty neat that way and it doesn't give away the numbers.

Thanks for the looking opportunity :lol: If I remember, there is still another week for our "items" to get to you.

I hope you can get them to me by the 18th which is a Sunday, so really the 17th by post.

The fridge door is launched on Monday, 11/19.

PS- I never got around to downloading my pics. Plus, I got a stack of GW4 refrigerator magnets from BillyH that have totally changed the look of the fridge door as of last night. It really looks COOL with all those GeoWoodstock magnets on it since the main goal is to attend future GeoWoodstocks. There's 18 of 'em mostly down the left side. :)

The rest of the magnets on the door are for trade, but the GW4 magnets are for folks that attach TBs to this TB community.

...I hafta say that the "Brit Spit" came out COOL as well as all the ones with pathtags riding along with them. :)

As the owner of the True Brit Spit, I'd just like to say it's been fun reading the "discovered" logs which have arrived back here in Wales, U.K.

Thanks for adding the pics on this thread so that I can see what the fridge door actually looks like!

MrsB :)

...I hafta say that the "Brit Spit" came out COOL as well as all the ones with pathtags riding along with them. :D

As the owner of the True Brit Spit, I'd just like to say it's been fun reading the "discovered" logs which have arrived back here in Wales, U.K.

Thanks for adding the pics on this thread so that I can see what the fridge door actually looks like!

MrsB :)

I plan to take a pic of it in front of my house tomorrow. It looks much different now. Thanks to BillyH.

I got hold of a big bug belonging to King Boreas (The back hatch of a 60's model beetle.) on Monday and my Snoogstress would only consent to me bringing it home if I displayed it proudly on the front porch like any good redneck dragging home car parts. I called her bluff and on the front porch it sits. :):D

I plan to take a picture of the two together. :D

Edited by Snoogans

...I plan to take a pic of it in front of my house tomorrow. It looks much different now. Thanks to BillyH.

I got hold of a big bug belonging to King Boreas (The back hatch of a 60's model beetle.) on Monday and my Snoogstress would only consent to me bringing it home if I displayed it proudly on the front porch like any good redneck dragging home car parts. I called her bluff and on the front porch it sits. :(:(

I plan to take a picture of the two together. :laughing:

:laughing: Make sure you get the Snoogstress in the pic too... with a "long-sufferin'" expression on her face :D

MrsB

...I plan to take a pic of it in front of my house tomorrow. It looks much different now. Thanks to BillyH.

I got hold of a big bug belonging to King Boreas (The back hatch of a 60's model beetle.) on Monday and my Snoogstress would only consent to me bringing it home if I displayed it proudly on the front porch like any good redneck dragging home car parts. I called her bluff and on the front porch it sits. :(:(

I plan to take a picture of the two together. :D

:laughing: Make sure you get the Snoogstress in the pic too... with a "long-sufferin'" expression on her face :D

MrsB

Hmmm, she has a look that says allll of that when it comes to me draggin' big TBs home. We had a knock down drag out fight when I INSISTED on carting Mary Proppins home. :laughing: