Protection Tracking Numbers

DudleyGrunt

I just had a cacher post the tracking number for one of my TB's in his log. I dropped him a note asking that they edit their log and let him know that, in general, tracking numbers should not be made available to people who have not seen the actual TB or coin. I included a link to the pinned "HOW TO LOG A TRAVEL BUG OR GEOCOIN" topic, but is there a Groundspeak policy / guideline anywhere that states this? I've read that trackables have been deactiviated when the owner doesn't properly protect the tracking number.

Can anyone help me on this? Thanks.

You did the right thing by politely writing and educating the other geocacher, who probably didn't know any better. If someone doesn't edit their log to remove the tracking number as requested, you can write to your volunteer cache reviewer, who is able to edit logs for this purpose.

Yes, a trackable can be locked down if it is moved virtually all over the world. That's why it's a bad thing for its secret tracking number to be disclosed so that a dishonorable miscreant can get ahold of it.

You did the right thing by politely writing and educating the other geocacher, who probably didn't know any better. If someone doesn't edit their log to remove the tracking number as requested, you can write to your volunteer cache reviewer, who is able to edit logs for this purpose.

Yes, a trackable can be locked down if it is moved virtually all over the world. That's why it's a bad thing for its secret tracking number to be disclosed so that a dishonorable miscreant can get ahold of it.

Thanks, Professor Uto Keystone.

Just for reference, is there actually something on geocaching.com with these guidelines?

Happy trails...

The official sources for rules concerning trackables can be found:

(1) in the Trackables section of the Geocaching.com website;

(2) in posts by moderators or Groundspeak personnel in "pinned' threads here in the forums (see the tops of the "Getting Started" forum, the Travel Bug forum, and the Geocoins forum); and

(3) in the Geocaching.com Terms of Use (linked at the bottom of most every page on the website).