Cache page HTML practice

H2OBob

I searched, but couldn't find anything on this, so if you know of a previous thread, clue me in.

I'd like to have some way of setting up a cache page, and 'jazzing' it up with HTML before submitting it for review. Now, I know Photobucket had a site that let you practice HTML, but it's not there any more, and it allowed more code than GC.com allows in their pages. It would be nice to have a simplified "practice" page, using just the code that GC.com filters allow, where I could tune my cache page to look the way I want it, then copy it to MS Word and then onto the submission form.

Is this possible/practical?

Oh, yea, I'm HTML challenged... :D

I searched, but couldn't find anything on this, so if you know of a previous thread, clue me in.

I'd like to have some way of setting up a cache page, and 'jazzing' it up with HTML before submitting it for review. Now, I know Photobucket had a site that let you practice HTML, but it's not there any more, and it allowed more code than GC.com allows in their pages. It would be nice to have a simplified "practice" page, using just the code that GC.com filters allow, where I could tune my cache page to look the way I want it, then copy it to MS Word and then onto the submission form.

Oh, yea, I'm HTML challenged... :D

Just uncheck "Yes, this listing is active (For new listings, if you want to work on this listing before it is reviewed, uncheck this box. Reviewers will only see the listing in the queue when it is checked.)"

You can then work on the cache listing until you get it like you want prior to having it reviewed. The other benefit is that you will also have your id # so you can put it on your cache prior to listing.

Oh, yea, I'm HTML challenged... :lol:

Just uncheck "Yes, this listing is active (For new listings, if you want to work on this listing before it is reviewed, uncheck this box. Reviewers will only see the listing in the queue when it is checked.)"

You can then work on the cache listing until you get it like you want prior to having it reviewed. The other benefit is that you will also have your id # so you can put it on your cache prior to listing.

Yes, this will work. Done it, and know many who have.

No photobucket practice page? You never really needed it. Just write all your code in MS Word, and open that file with a web browser!

But for what you describe, it sounds like just unchecking the box, and playing around will work fine. I'm thinking the "time limit" might still be there the first time you open the form, and before unchecking the box and submitting the listing though. So don't go crazy the first session.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel
I'm thinking the "time limit" might still be there the first time you open the form, and before unchecking the box and submitting the listing though.
I don't think there's any time limit. I still have two unused cache pages from the era of six character waypoint codes and I intend to use them some day. Currently I use them as sandboxes for testing all kinds of things. And I have seen caches published several years after their waypoint code was allocated!

This cache for example was published this summer, but its waypoint code is from October 2005.

Thanks to all that responded. I used Word to get the text right, then unchecked the box to slap the pictures in. Now that I know HTML, I suppose I'll have to slick up my other caches. :(

Word? ACK! You probably couldn't choose a worse piece of software for the job. It puts in an astounding amount of junk code you don't need.

Get a real HTML editor, like Nvu. It generates very clean code. In most cases, all you'll need to do is first upload any images you want to your cache page, create the page in Nvu, then copy everthing between the <body> tags into your cache page. Be sure to reference the pictured on the web, not on your hard drive.