Garmin "Geocaching Mode" ~What is it?

diveryan

I'm a clueless noob. :D I looked at this forum and Garmin's site, but didn't find an answer.

While looking at the Garmin site, I saw an option on some units that was called "Geocaching Mode" My kids and I have never not found what we are looking for, so is it even worth worrying about? What is it?

I got my first gps unit ever a month ago so I could take it in my boat, into some pretty thick woods, and do geocaching. I bought a GPS 72, and it turned out that it really wasn't what I was expecting. I like the idea of having an actual map showing under your route, which is the main thing that bothers me about my 72.

I can get a nice deal on a refurbished eTrex Legend locally from Gander, and there is a Rino 120 up for sale here. Would either of those units be good for what I want to use 'em for, or should I really consider "Geocaching Mode" ~or~ is the 72 a really nice gps, and I should just live with it?

Thanks!

Edited by diveryan

I'm a clueless noob. :D I looked at this forum and Garmin's site, but didn't find an answer.

While looking at the Garmin site, I saw an option on some units that was called "Geocaching Mode" My kids and I have never not found what we are looking for, so is it even worth worrying about? What is it?

I got my first gps unit ever a month ago so I could take it in my boat, into some pretty thick woods, and do geocaching. I bought a GPS 72, and it turned out that it really wasn't what I was expecting. I like the idea of having an actual map showing under your route, which is the main thing that bothers me about my 72.

I can get a nice deal on a refurbished eTrex Legend locally from Gander, and there is a Rino 120 up for sale here. Would either of those units be good for what I want to use 'em for, or should I really consider "Geocaching Mode" ~or~ is the 72 a really nice gps, and I should just live with it?

Thanks!

as far as I can tell. the geocache mode just makes a seperate list of geocaches, seperate from waypoints. and it has a "found" button. so the icon changes after you find it. and it gets logged into the calender. so a couple days later you can't remember what you found when, you can look into the calender.

it's definatly something I could live without. nothing a pen and paper or a decent memory could't replace.

acutally I'm guessing the "send to GPS" from the GC sight might not work without GC mode?? that's kinda handy to use.

Edited by Smac999

My absolute favourite part of Geocaching Mode is its ability to mark the find in the GPSr's calendar. I come home to log a day of caching, look at the calendar, and plow through my finds quickly.

That said, Geocaching Mode could certainly stand some improvements. I'd mainly like to see a Found button on the map page. I prefer to turn on the compass, zoom in on my Topo maps, and move my cursor over the cache to see the distance. It gives me an idea where I am, rather than just which direction to go.

acutally I'm guessing the "send to GPS" from the GC sight might not work without GC mode?? that's kinda handy to use.

Im in the middle of upgrading from the basic starter etrex. (the cheapest yellow one) It doesnt have the geocaching mode but you can still "send to gps" from the site.

The only prblem with it is that older model etrex gpsr's (that you can still buy brand new now) only have a waypoint name length of 6 characters, so if you send a cache to your gps that has a 7 character cache ID then it knocks off the last letter or number. This isnt normally a problem unless you are following a set that was all published at the same time. They tend to have the same geocache ID with the end letter or number different. So as you click "send to GPS" it keeps overwriting the one you sent before..... Only answer is to send one at a time and keep chaging the ID manually, which is very slow......or download Gsak and set it to know off the GC code at the start of each cache ID...... OR get a more up to date GPSr that has a longer waypoint name length capacity.

Something to think about if you are going to get an older refurb one. Hope this helps [:lol:]

On my Etrex Legend (which I just picked up brand new with cable from Walmart Online Store for $119 with free Site To Store shipping) I send caches to it using GSAK. Once I arrive at a cache & find it, I just hit the "Find" button & click to bring up the nearest waypoints screen. The cache I'm at is always the first one on the list. Since I loaded the data through GSAK, the waypoint has a "Cache" icon. I click down twice to highlight the icon, click on it, then click down once to highlight "Found Cache" & click again to select it. Click the "Find" button again, click to select "Nearest Waypoints" & the cache I am at is first on the list with a "Found" icon next to it and my next target is always second on the list. Click down to highlight it, select it, then click again to "GoTo" & I'm off to the next find :lol: